What are the best Grado's?
Jul 19, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 91
Even though I have a RS1, I believe SR-225 is the best value if we are talking about MRSP  The extra money I paid to go from SR80 to SR225 was completely worth it. Would I be okay if I went back to SR225, probably but not any lower.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 91
I'm sort of wondering  the same thing.

I'm listening to BB King on a pair of 60's right now
dt880smile.png

My question is a little more specific though. It seems I might be coming down with upgradeitis.
I've been thinking two different things. Amp up the 60's. I have them plugged into a Nuforce uDAC right now and I am considering the purchase of a head direct ef2a connected to the RCA out of my uDAC; or skip the amp and get the 225's. Either way I'm probably going to end up with both. Just dont know which to get first.

Anyway, anyone go from the 60's to the 225's that can give me their impressions and what the 225 does better; or is there anyone that has an ef2a paired with their Grad'os that has some thoughts?

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 91
My SR60i's have scaled up nicely going from just a Clip+ headphone out, to now adding a PA2V2 in the mix. I think they are a fantastic value for the money.
gs1000.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 91
I've owned/listened to every can in the current Grado production lineup and for my two cents:

Best cheapest Grados: SR80s (worth the extra $20 for the better bass)
Best in the Prestige Series: SR225i (I actually prefer them to the SR325is and RS2s)

Best Grado can in production: RS1i
Honorable Mention: HF2

Biggest letdown: GS1000/GS1000i (sucked out mids and sounded off) TIED with the SR325is (too hot treble for my ears)

Hard to categorize: PS1000s. They do improve on the GS1000's flaws, but I keep thinking they lost that "Grado sound" I love and keep coming back to the RS1/RS1is (and even the HF2s).

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 91

I've had 80s, MS2is, and now have happily settled into 225s as the nice price sweet spot. The 225 do scale depending on source, but not as much as the 325s, which to me didn't sound very good unless amped.

do a search on this topic and wow, you'll find pages and pages of...

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 91
As you go up, of course the price goes up.  I recently upgraded from SR80i's to SR225i's.  The 225i's list for $200, though J&R Music World has them for $170 recently.

Comfort is the same until you hit the SR225i, which has bowl pads rather than flat comfy pads.  Durability increases a bit due to a fatter heavier duty cable, but portability decreases for the same reason - the thicker cable is cumbersome.  The 225i's come with a 1/4" plug rather than a 1/8" plug, so you may need an adapter.  The screen on the 225i's are metal rather than plastic, so they are a bit more refined looking.

The difference in sound to my ears was mostly due to the different pads.  The sound is different.  All things kept the same, the 225i's have slightly more bass.  The bowl pads deempasize the bass a bit but increase the soundstage.

The basic construction is the same through the 225i - metal headband with plastic cover, plastic cups.  The 325i has cups made of metal which I've read makes them heavier which can impact comfort.

As an aside, I'm waiting for replacements for my 225i's because I noticed an imbalance between the right and left channels.  I noticed this initially but chalked it up to getting used to the different style pads.  I got used to it.  Then, after not using the 'phones for a weekend due to being away, listening to them it jumped out at me again.  The problem followed the headphones, so off they went to be replaced.  I hope to have them in the next few days.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 91
When I was just getting into headphones, I auditioned the 60, 80, and 225. Of the three, I felt the 80 was the best deal. I could hear *slight* improvement in the 225, but not enough to justify the price bump. Recently I've had a chance to try the HF2. Worth the price difference? Eh, not really in my opinion. Add a touch of felt or bluetack to the SR80 driver to damp it a bit and you're basically there.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 91
I'm in support of most of this... I think the SR60 or maybeSR80, SR225, and RS-1 (or maybe RS-2 before it, haven't auditioned that one), just depending on budget.  I think each is "worth" the price difference, but how to value something is both very subjective and very dependent on disposable income. Really I supposed I'd encourage a used (or "old stock") RS-1, which can be found for around the same price as a new RS-2.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 91
I personally think for the bang for the buck Grado would be the Alessandro MS1i.  For a bit mid range, I really like the HF2, but never heard the other line besides the Prestige.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 91

Quote:

I've had 80s, MS2is, and now have happily settled into 225s as the nice price sweet spot. The 225 do scale depending on source, but not as much as the 325s, which to me didn't sound very good unless amped.

do a search on this topic and wow, you'll find pages and pages of...

Hopefully you have settled into the 225's because you like them the best. Since they are a bit more expensive than the 80's they must do some things that justify the higher price. The value of the 225's is one thing I keep seeing. I suppose what I'm wondering though is how much of a difference between the 60's and the 225's is there. What is the sort of flavor changes in the 225 that makes it a little tastier than the 60 or 80?

More bass, better mids?. I'm thinking I should probably just do the headroom 30 day thing...and if I dont think they are better than what I already have, just send them back.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 91

Quote:

My question is a little more specific though. It seems I might be coming down with upgradeitis.
I've been thinking two different things. Amp up the 60's. I have them plugged into a Nuforce uDAC right now and I am considering the purchase of a head direct ef2a connected to the RCA out of my uDAC; or skip the amp and get the 225's. Either way I'm probably going to end up with both. Just dont know which to get first.

Skip the amp and get the 225s.  They sound very good with the uDAC- my Mapletree Ear+ tube amp (which is reputed to be a good amp for Grados) only sounds a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back