What are the best Grado's?
Jul 20, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero  
" I've owned/listened to every can in the current Grado production lineup and for my two cents:
Best cheapest Grados: SR80s (worth the extra $20 for the better bass) Best in the Prestige Series: SR225i (I actually prefer them to the SR325is and RS2s)
Best Grado can in production: RS1i Honorable Mention: HF2
Biggest letdown: GS1000/GS1000i (sucked out mids and sounded off) TIED with the SR325is (too hot treble for my ears)
Hard to categorize: PS1000s. They do improve on the GS1000's flaws, but I keep thinking they lost that " Grado sound" I love and keep coming back to the RS1/ RS1is (and even the HF2s)."

I agree with MH here. If you're on a tight budget the SR-80(i) is, to me, and a certain Canadian, the best open headphone for under $100. Hands down. The SR-225(i), I feel, is the best overall value in the Grado line. The HF-2 is the best Grado I've heard. If you like the Grado sound and have the budget the HF-2 is a great option.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #18 of 91

Quote:
I agree with MH here. If you're on a tight budget the SR-80(i) is, to me, and a certain Canadian, the best open headphone for under $100. Hands down. The SR-225(i), I feel, is the best overall value in the Grado line. The HF-2 is the best Grado I've heard. If you like the Grado sound and have the budget the HF-2 is a great option.

Although if you're Canadian, the better value is in the Alessandros or HF2s. Regular Grado prices are stupid here (the SR80 is $165 up here).

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #20 of 91
I bought my SR80s before discovering head-fi. Imagine my disappointment to find out about the F/S forum and Alessandros afterwards
frown.gif
I want to sell the SR80s now, but it feels like such a cut considering what I had to pay for them.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #21 of 91

Quote:
I bought my SR80s before discovering head-fi. Imagine my disappointment to find out about the F/S forum and Alessandros afterwards
frown.gif
I want to sell the SR80s now, but it feels like such a cut considering what I had to pay for them.

That is the biggest risk with the F/S forum...you do end up spending more money than you first intended (at least I do).

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #22 of 91

Quote:
Hopefully you have settled into the 225's because you like them the best. Since they are a bit more expensive than the 80's they must do some things that justify the higher price. The value of the 225's is one thing I keep seeing. I suppose what I'm wondering though is how much of a difference between the 60's and the 225's is there. What is the sort of flavor changes in the 225 that makes it a little tastier than the 60 or 80?

More bass, better mids?. I'm thinking I should probably just do the headroom 30 day thing...and if I dont think they are better than what I already have, just send them back.

well, it was a zig-zag progression for me. I got the 80s used (and recabled) from the FS forum here. Instantly gave me the feeling that good headphones were worth the money. But there was a loose connection at the plug, so I sent them back to the seller/recabler. He was totally cool about the problem and offered to repair and return them to me or just refund my money. I took the money because I really needed closed rather than open phones at the time...

As an interjection here, I have not really found a compelling reason to buy new headphone gear when you can get really well-cared for phones at a good price on the FS forum here. You can try out a lot more phones buying used than new, but anyway...

Yeah, I do like the 225s. I had a cube-mate pick up 325s right after I got my 225s and I actually prefer the 225s unamped. My friend was a little disappointed at the 325s out of his ipod, so I loaned him my nuforce icon, and then a few days later let him try the Little Dot I+. It was clear that they were better phones under proper amplification, but not entirely clear that the difference was worth the difference in the headphones + the cost of an amp. Or the need to have an amp.

I think the word for the progression on Grados is: MORE. It's all grado, just that the 225 is MORE GRADO than the 60/80. Presumably so on up the line, but diminishing returns kicks in at some point for everyone. 225s are just more grado enough for me.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #23 of 91
I have the Hifiman EF2 (w/ tubles rolled to Mullard CV4010s). I use it with my SR 80s, and it sounds fantastic late at night when everything is nice and quiet. Can't say they are the greatest rock cans, though. The 80s are definitely worth the few more $$ over the 60s, IMHO. The bass has more presence. I don't know about the top of the range Grados, but unless material has been recorded really well, the top end gives me a headache after a while. Shows some sibilance here and there. Not the most spacious cans I've heard, either. They do most things incredibly well, though.

The $100 I paid for these years ago was the right entry fee for me. If I had the choice of spending 2x and getting the 225s I would probably try something else now. Not saying I'm done with Grado, but there are a ton of cans to be listened to out there, and I've yet to explore most of them. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #24 of 91
The 325's were definitely on the treble side out of an ipod. That is why I did the 30 day thing and returned them. If I didn't listen mostly at work out of my ipod I might have done differently though. With the right amp they could sound great.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 91

Quote:
The 325's were definitely on the treble side out of an ipod. That is why I did the 30 day thing and returned them. If I didn't listen mostly at work out of my ipod I might have done differently though. With the right amp they could sound great.

My MAD Ear+HD is known for being very synergistic with Grados....but not with the SR325is headphones. Even with my warm Sovtek 5751 driver tube, they were still way too shrill for my ears.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 91
So the general consensus is the 80's and the 225's are the bang per buck Grados.  I got the MS1i's, if I put some bowls on them where would that put them respectively?

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 91

Quote:
My MAD Ear+HD is known for being very synergistic with Grados....but not with the SR325is headphones. Even with my warm Sovtek 5751 driver tube, they were still way too shrill for my ears.

Yeah, the SR80 was pretty harsh before I rolled the tubes on the EF2. Now that the CV4010s have around 100ish hours on them they have smoothed out the top a bit. Really nice, articulate low end, too.

The 325i constistently rates as the one of the 'best' headphones out there in terms of value. I haven't heard it, but the 225i is awfully nice at under $200. I don't much like the bowls, though.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #29 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus  
" So the general consensus is the 80's and the 225's are the bang per buck Grados.  I got the MS1i's, if I put some bowls on them where would that put them respectively?"

I'd say you'd be in great shape. I haven't had the opportunity to hear any Alessandro but FWIR the MS1i is great for the money. I do prefer bowls so I think it's worth the investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back