What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,521 of 14,566
  Hey Everyone,

I have been distracted with a stage play this last (tech) week where all of the lights and sound come in and everything that can possibly go wrong does.  The show is up tonight and there is a matinee tomorrow.  I should have time to catch up tomorrow night.  I do have some interesting news.

​Are you teching, directing, performing...?

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #2,523 of 14,566
Tutus are excessive; Mike is all about Balanchine's reforms to ballet dress and I'm sure a unitard would be much more appropriate.

Speaking of which I'm at Lincoln Center all week. Saw Idomeneo on Saturday with James Levine conducting (one wishes Mozart had a first-rate librettist for his whole career), saw Aida last night (with a good friend prompting)—soprano was great, tenor could do the fortes but had little variation in his voice and no acting ability at all. Mezzo was a bit shrill but an excellent actress, and plenty loud. At the start of act 4 one of the large egyptian set pieces started to fall down and they lowered the curtain for a few minutes while it was fixed. Conservative production, but not badly done. Horses in lieu of elephants and I think one of them got a little angry and had to be carted offstage.

Seeing Fidelio tonight, Trav tomorrow, and Eugene Onegin (opening night) thursday.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,524 of 14,566
@bosiemoncrieff

LOL! Speaking of excessive...

How many operas in how few days is considered "Running the Gauntlet"?

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,526 of 14,566
Tutus are excessive; Mike is all about Balanchine's reforms to ballet dress and I'm sure a unitard would be much more appropriate.

Speaking of which I'm at Lincoln Center all week. Saw Idomeneo on Saturday with James Levine conducting (one wishes Mozart had a first-rate librettist for his whole career), saw Aida last night (with a good friend prompting)—soprano was great, tenor could do the fortes but had little variation in his voice and no acting ability at all. Mezzo was a bit shrill but an excellent actress, and plenty loud. At the start of act 4 one of the large egyptian set pieces started to fall down and they lowered the curtain for a few minutes while it was fixed. Conservative production, but not badly done. Horses in lieu of elephants and I think one of them got a little angry and had to be carted offstage.

Seeing Fidelio tonight, Trav tomorrow, and Eugene Onegin (opening night) thursday.

Are you perhaps a music critic?

Or is this schedule your idea of fun?

You obviously have more energy than I do.

:)

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,528 of 14,566
Are you perhaps a music critic?

Or is this schedule your idea of fun?

You obviously have more energy than I do.

smily_headphones1.gif

A music critic would never ever work that way.
Sounds more like a sort of OCD or OCOD for that matter.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,533 of 14,566
Most of Mozart's librettisti where first rate.
As a native Italian and Mozart scolar I can tell.
Lorenzo da Ponte was not alone.

I hope you don't get opera fatigue.

I had difficulty seeing any depth to the characters in Idomeneo and any guiding intellectual claim to the piece other than don't piss off Poseidon. Can u clarify what about this operas text is exceptional?

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,535 of 14,566
  I listen to all my music on CDs via Coax to my Modi Multibit. Will Project Manhattan work with with coax sources or it it just USB?

It will likely have a variety of digital inputs, since it will sit between your source and your Yggy in your reproduction chain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back