What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,506 of 14,566
@earnmyturns, I was on a train at the time using 3G mobile network :grin: First time this has happened having made the same trip many times before. Previously I used Tidal so I guess it may be that Qobuz uses more bandwidth.

Wow, that's quite an optimistic expectation for mobile comms 
blink.gif
 You might have been traveling through a cell site that is overloaded, for instance by the many stuck drivers in a nearby traffic jam (I've experienced that). Anyway, that's why I travel with a DAP with 400GB storage for preloaded lossless music (see my sig).

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,507 of 14,566
I've been lucky so far! I am thinking about a dedicated DAP and did quite fancy the Lotoo PAW Gold but they seem to be unavailable now, at least this side of the pond! I welcome any good suggestions noting that you use QP1R. I'll have to try one. Is there a limit on the SD card capacity? A review I read suggested that it won't take more than 128Gb cards.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,508 of 14,566
Another option is to get a phone that has a decent dac/amp in it (several available now).

I have the V20 (256GB microSD capacity) and it does the trick without having to carry a separate DAP. It is more than capable of delivering very good sound for iems as well as hard-to-drive headphones.

Didn't want to carry the second piece of kit on the go...really just depends on your use case.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #2,509 of 14,566
I welcome any good suggestions noting that you use QP1R. I'll have to try one. Is there a limit on the SD card capacity? A review I read suggested that it won't take more than 128Gb cards.

I had an iBasso DX-90 before, the QP1R is sonically much better, closer to my favored (non-portable) Schiit sound than the DX-90, possibly because of the different (but of course still d-s) DAC chips (Cirrus Logic CS4398 vs Sabre ES9018K2M), or the class A discrete amp. I use it with two 200GB SanDisk Ultra micro SD cards https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled program, I've been wondering about the USB audio improvement hinted at earlier in this thread. Not that I have much to complain about, I'm rather happy with microRendu+LPS-1 as USB source for my two Schiit DACs, but the evil sirens of digital audio keep waving at me with multiple fancy USB>something converters that are guaranteed to make Schiit DACs soar above USB ground. But I'd rather get @Baldr's sure-to-be-iconoclastic USB tweak than a whole additional stack of complicated digital and power circuitry that is as likely to mess up something else as is to remove undesired noise from the DAC's input.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,510 of 14,566
  Whatever you folks are discussing it is NOT jitter.  It's some sort of software error or processor glitch.  I'd start by rebooting the DAC and see if there is a software update fro the manufacturer.

A well known problem is the USB power management schemes resident in Windows and Apple OS suites. These "Schemes" throttle power to USB ports to extend battery life. Unfortunately, they also disrupt USB port performance. Google "USB Power problems for XXXX OS and select the action that is correct for your situation.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,511 of 14,566
Thanks for the good advices with that other stuff.

At earnmyturns Totally aggreed. If I could go to so cal jam i would so be sniffing all over that schiit stand to find mikes magic missing pc-dac link. Is there going to be a mysterious black box connected to The MP.. or is it included?
A shame bifrost is already taken. It would be fitting for the missing link. Also a shame that Valhall is taken that would be perfect for MP.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,512 of 14,566
Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled program, I've been wondering about the USB audio improvement hinted at earlier in this thread. Not that I have much to complain about, I'm rather happy with microRendu+LPS-1 as USB source for my two Schiit DACs, but the evil sirens of digital audio keep waving at me with multiple fancy USB>something converters that are guaranteed to make Schiit DACs soar above USB ground. But I'd rather get @Baldr
's sure-to-be-iconoclastic USB tweak than a whole additional stack of complicated digital and power circuitry that is as likely to mess up something else as is to remove undesired noise from the DAC's input.
[/quote

I too am waiting to see what Baldr comes up with (ruining my Dante Ethernet fun). :D

All the stuff we have at our Seattle meets, and I've never heard a microRendu setup. earnmyturns you should come up from the Bay Area & bring it. Our Spring meet, early May, is one of the best anywhere, ferry to Bainbridge Island and the meet is AT BOTTLEHEAD!

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,513 of 14,566
Hey Everyone,

I have been distracted with a stage play this last (tech) week where all of the lights and sound come in and everything that can possibly go wrong does.  The show is up tonight and there is a matinee tomorrow.  I should have time to catch up tomorrow night.  I do have some interesting news.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #2,514 of 14,566

All the stuff we have at our Seattle meets, and I've never heard a microRendu setup. earnmyturns you should come up from the Bay Area & bring it. Our Spring meet, early May, is one of the best anywhere, ferry to Bainbridge Island and the meet is AT BOTTLEHEAD!

Sounds fun, thanks, but it's a bit out of the way given everything else I'm doing the next several months, together with lengthy rehab/no driving for my ski-season-ending hard-fall-damaged right shoulder 
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #2,516 of 14,566
  I have been distracted with a stage play this last (tech) week where all of the lights and sound come in and everything that can possibly go wrong does.  The show is up tonight and there is a matinee tomorrow.  I should have time to catch up tomorrow night.  I do have some interesting news.

Should I wish "break a leg"? Looking forward to the news!

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,517 of 14,566
Anybody heard how Mike's stage play went off?  Anybody attend the show?  Just wondering...

Thanks,
RCB

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,519 of 14,566
The later in the run the better the show and the last performance is often spectacular because everyone wants to get it right and leave with a good taste in their mouth. Especially in opera when the singers don't have to preserve their voices for the day after tomorrow performance...

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2,520 of 14,566
  Hey Everyone,

The [REDACTED] is being un-REDACTED...?        
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back