Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #4,276 of 4,413
Nightmare! The audio on the left side of my um3x rc has started to cut in and out near the jack despite the cable showing no signs of wear. 
Anybody have a spare cable lying around? I'm not interested in any DIY or 3rd party cable unless it's as durable, thin and light as the originally with pins that are of the same diameter (don't want loose sockets over time). 

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #4,277 of 4,413
Just checked went on the westone site and are selling the epic replacement cables for $66. So epically expensive!  
basshead.gif
 I think I'll pass.

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4,278 of 4,413
  Moose is it fair to say UM3X is Westone's BEST universal bass IEM?  

(excluding W50, W60)

I was listening to an old Weather Report recording this morning and bass seemed lean.  But then I switched to something recent and it was thick and booming.  Talk about honest and accurate.

I threw this around with W4R but as good as the recent recording bass sounded....if you turned it up it sounded like the W4R was straining a bit....not relaxed at all.  But keep in mind this is me because I listen loud.  If you don't W4R is really fantastic.

Having said that....ANY IEM that leans toward bassy will always sound better at lesser volumes because of the underlying fullness that a lighter IEM can't portray.

I know you still got the "new toy" thing going but do you prefer it over SE535?  I will also be curious what you think after 30 days.  Many (I have too) get bored with UM3X.  But the longer I am in this hobby, that is not the IEM rather it is my sick addiction to this hobby.  How else could one explain multiple repeat buys??

UM3X are not just bass iems. 
Bass are only one of the many aspect the um3x they excel at.
Compared to other aspects like instrument separation, mid range, it's nothing. 
Um3x are the only iem that's able to retain a very forward mid range without sacrificing bass.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #4,279 of 4,413
  Nightmare! The audio on the left side of my um3x rc has started to cut in and out near the jack despite the cable showing no signs of wear. 
Anybody have a spare cable lying around? I'm not interested in any DIY or 3rd party cable unless it's as durable, thin and light as the originally with pins that are of the same diameter (don't want loose sockets over time). 

http://www.cosmicears.com/shop/linum-2pin/
They are very thin
http://www.cosmicears.com/shop/tricable/
These are more like Westone stock cables

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #4,280 of 4,413
  Just checked went on the westone site and are selling the epic replacement cables for $66. So epically expensive!  
basshead.gif
 I think I'll pass.

price is quite fair compared to other vendors that sells similar cables for $300

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #4,285 of 4,413
FiiO cables are super thin. I was put off when I saw them in person.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #4,287 of 4,413
I know thinner for sure (eyeball guess around 3/4th the diameter of stock cable), that would imply it is lighter too

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #4,288 of 4,413
Wow the fiio rc-wt1 really do suck! Can hear so much microphonics that it's like the cable is made of an elastic band being flicked when knocked and the cable is also so damn stiff.
I should of paid more for the epic cables. Very disappointed. 
Cable is also thicker than the stock cables. 
In a nutshell, everything about them sucks.
NOT recommended. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #4,289 of 4,413
I need help on deciding whether or not to get a used pair of W3s for $145 Aud to accompany my um3x. I'm mostly concerned about the cable breaking since they're not detachable. I could however always send it off to BTG-Audio and get Brain to perform a detachable mod for $40. 
Or should I get a used pair of 4rs for $230? Arrr so difficult to decide!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back