Westone UM3X Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #4,306 of 4,413
Just for clarification, W3 has been out of production for a couple years now and virtually unavailable anymore.  TF10 is very over priced and is now only sold as an antique.  I think it was $100 one time on black Friday about 5 years ago.

Yep i remember that sale and the tf10 are steady climbing in price nowadays. They go for around $200.00+ sometimes you can get them a little cheaper the um3xrc go for around $300.00

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4,307 of 4,413

Just for clarification, W3 has been out of production for a couple years now and virtually unavailable anymore.  TF10 is very over priced and is now only sold as an antique.  I think it was $100 one time on black Friday about 5 years ago.

So I missed out on a good deal? Who would want to buy the FT10 as an antique. They are so ugly and fragile IMO. The housing falls apart after only a few cable changes. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #4,308 of 4,413
I dont personally find them to be that fragile. I'll admit they are a one off design kind of a one size fits none although this really isnt the case and you can get a great fit and great seal....nit to mention excellent sound signature.

I think if you are rough with any iem it can become fragile ive seen multiple um3x fall apart does that make them bad for fragile or not worth having no. Imo

Ive seen multiple ue900 come apart same thing.

I really do feel that some people are hard and rough woth theor products. Either it be a pair of iems or a ipod. Sometimes i see things and wonder how it is someone destroyed something to that point. It amazes me.

Not to mention you reallt arent going to be changing to cable non stop if you get a cable you like and stick with it.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #4,309 of 4,413
I dont personally find them to be that fragile. I'll admit they are a one off design kind of a one size fits none although this really isnt the case and you can get a great fit and great seal....nit to mention excellent sound signature.

I think if you are rough with any iem it can become fragile ive seen multiple um3x fall apart does that make them bad for fragile or not worth having no. Imo

Ive seen multiple ue900 come apart same thing.

I really do feel that some people are hard and rough woth theor products. Either it be a pair of iems or a ipod. Sometimes i see things and wonder how it is someone destroyed something to that point. It amazes me.

Not to mention you reallt arent going to be changing to cable non stop if you get a cable you like and stick with it.

Cable change is important when a person intends to use a pair of iem for 10+ years. On average, cables usually break down after 1 years. 
The design flaw of the TF10 is that the pin connectors is glued on the outside of the housing (can be easily pulled out), not recessed within the shell like the majority of iems. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4,310 of 4,413
Well if you get a good upgrade cable it will last longer than 1 year that is for sure.

I agree that the design of the tf10 are unorthadox but jerry harvey was trying to make customs into universals and that is pretty much what he came up with. Obviously as you can see universals have came a long way since then in their build and structure.

But even with their flaws they still have a following and its my guess that they always will. You cant deny their sound signature because you dont like the way they look or the way the housing is made. They still have a awsome sound signature.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,311 of 4,413
Well if you get a good upgrade cable it will last longer than 1 year that is for sure.

I agree that the design of the tf10 are unorthadox but jerry harvey was trying to make customs into universals and that is pretty much what he came up with. Obviously as you can see universals have came a long way since then in their build and structure.

But even with their flaws they still have a following and its my guess that they always will. You cant deny their sound signature because you dont like the way they look or the way the housing is made. They still have a awsome sound signature .

No doubt the ft10 are awesome sounding iem but it can't be denied that one of the main reason that contributed to the ft10 in having a mass of followers is of the unbeatable price, that is when they were still current and competing against the likes of the se530, w3 and um3xs. Oh I miss those days when flagship universal were actually affordable. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,312 of 4,413
Mooses9, I think you regret selling your um3x or else you won't still be following this thread
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #4,313 of 4,413
I still follow all the threads ive been in.

But your not wrong i do regret selling my um3xrc because i got them cheap and i did love the sound signature of them esp coming from the w4r.

Their instrument separation was great and bass was great also.

Now they are pretty expensive if you can find the rc version.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,314 of 4,413
  No doubt the ft10 are awesome...

Ahem, off topic, I know, but Fungus, why do you insist on calling them ft10, while the proper name is Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 (usually abbreviated to UE TF10, or just TF10?) Just curious, no offense.

Back to UM3X RC, I know they are hard to come by, but can anyone recommend me a good replacement cable with a mic and play/pause button? (volume control would be a plus as well.)

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #4,315 of 4,413
Ahem, off topic, I know, but Fungus, why do you insist on calling them ft10, while the proper name is Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 (usually abbreviated to UE TF10, or just TF10?) Just curious, no offense.

Back to UM3X RC, I know they are hard to come by, but can anyone recommend me a good replacement cable with a mic and play/pause button? (volume control would be a plus as well.)
[/quote

Null Audio lune mkiii is a excellent cable and they can make it for either apple or android i have one on my tri0le fi 10s and love it excellent quality.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #4,318 of 4,413
I've owned the UM3X for months, and I don't quite like it. However, I do believe I'm hearing these wrong (check my post history, I mentioned a few times about not liking the UM3X). I bought a 2nd hand UM3X and these don't come with its default tips. The one that comes with the seller sounds best but is sibilant (silicone, single flange with quite a distance from the IEM opening to the ear). I've tried the Sony Hybrids as well (and some masking tape to make it fit). They make the sound muddy, killed the sound stage, although it's much easier to get isolation and got rid of the sibilance. It's probably because the IEM opening is closer to the ear with the hybrids.

Maybe I should try mod the Sony tips further, so that the distance between the IEM opening to the ear is further. Going to try that out and find out. EDIT: Oh yeah, it works. Of course, the sibilance is back but I can live with that for now.

That's pretty much my experience. Any recommendations for a non-foam tip? Let's just say Sony Hybrid teal tips (size M) fits best on me. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #4,319 of 4,413
  I've owned the UM3X for months, and I don't quite like it. However, I do believe I'm hearing these wrong (check my post history, I mentioned a few times about not liking the UM3X). I bought a 2nd hand UM3X and these don't come with its default tips. The one that comes with the seller sounds best but is sibilant (silicone, single flange with quite a distance from the IEM opening to the ear). I've tried the Sony Hybrids as well (and some masking tape to make it fit). They make the sound muddy, killed the sound stage, although it's much easier to get isolation and got rid of the sibilance. It's probably because the IEM opening is closer to the ear with the hybrids.

Maybe I should try mod the Sony tips further, so that the distance between the IEM opening to the ear is further. Going to try that out and find out. EDIT: Oh yeah, it works. Of course, the sibilance is back but I can live with that for now.

That's pretty much my experience. Any recommendations for a non-foam tip? Let's just say Sony Hybrid teal tips (size M) fits best on me. 

I think you maybe the first person to hear sibilant.
Tips can only change the sound to a degree. I truly think you may have a fault pair as there have been reports of faulty drivers. Try demoing another pair of um3x or umpro30 at a local headphone store using the same tip to see if it sounds the same.
What song did you listen that was sibilant? 
um3x are know for having a small sound stage

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #4,320 of 4,413
Source is more prone to sibilance variation than tips. Try a different source, a few if you can, narrow down the problem, if not then it might be a fault of the IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back