Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #4,261 of 4,413
Isn't it amazing that Westone managed to cram in 3 drivers into the um3x while retaining the same shape and size housing of the um2 and 1. 
Same can't be said for the shure se and ue fi. series. 
I believe the new w60s are even smaller than the w4r which has 2 less drivers. 
Not saying having more drivers equates to better sound. 
IMO my um3x are the best sounding universal I''ve ever tried and owned and by a huge distant. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #4,263 of 4,413
  Seems you had TF10 and SE535 before, can you put short comparison.

I owned the se535 a long time ago but from what I could remember, nothing stood out. For the price I paid at the time, I was expecting the mid to be really forwards and great but wasn't to be. 
The TF10 had a very fun and lively sound with excellent treble and the only reason why I sold it was knowing the socket and housing would break time over time.   
I prefer the TF10 hands down particularly if the price is taken into consideration.

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4,266 of 4,413
  I think W3 has overall better clarity, better instrument separation, bigger soundstage,  Also bass texture and control, impact seems better on W3.
UM3x is more linear , but has smaller soundstage and compared to W3 seems bit congested. But you only notice when  you A/ B them.

I've owned my um3x rc for over 3 years.
Better clarity as in detail in the treble, yes
Instrument separation, no
Soundstage, yes

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #4,267 of 4,413
After having UM3x for almost year ( and seldomly used), I gotta say these are mid-fatiguing earphone despite of its soft-treble nature. At 1-2 bar 'normal' volume on Sansa's Clip Zip, these earphones get real loud and the louder it is, the more forward the mid it gets. First time I taste an intimate IEM - it sounds like a band playing inside my head instead of surrounding me - and I can conclude that it's real pain in the arse. I never be able to wear it for at least 30 minutes straight.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #4,268 of 4,413
  After having UM3x for almost year ( and seldomly used), I gotta say these are mid-fatiguing earphone despite of its soft-treble nature. At 1-2 bar 'normal' volume on Sansa's Clip Zip, these earphones get real loud and the louder it is, the more forward the mid it gets. First time I taste an intimate IEM - it sounds like a band playing inside my head instead of surrounding me - and I can conclude that it's real pain in the arse. I never be able to wear it for at least 30 minutes straight.

I'm speechless 
confused_face.gif

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #4,269 of 4,413
Gandasaputra, I highly recommend you give up on iems or you'll end up on fruitless journey to find your iem nirvana. Iems don't get much better than the um3x unless you're willing to spend 2k on a pair of fitears 334. Just saying. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #4,270 of 4,413
  Gandasaputra, I highly recommend you give up on iems or you'll end up on fruitless journey to find your iem nirvana. Iems don't get much better than the um3x unless you're willing to spend 2k on a pair of fitears 334. Just saying. 

Thats not true. he just needs to find his preferred sound signature. The technology in IEM is changing faster and prices are going down. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4,271 of 4,413
I'm not quite sure if I'm sensitive with mid because the left ear is all fine while my right one that has problem. I got all angered because I've had these for one year and I'm still not used with the sound. Often, my right ear end up with ringing sound after listening session (at low volume of course) . Maybe it's the tips problem; I'm not fond with the attached medium star tips and I could try tip-rolling by making bigger bore tips...like what a head-fier done to a small bore IEM like these:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-primo-8/reviews/11187

Quote:

Actually I enjoy collecting IEMs and appreciate all kind of sound signature :). Even worst sounding IEM like XBA-30 is still kept to show off to my friends what "bad" sounding earphones like - and I still listen to it couple times just for giggles. I do like UM3x and love it when first had it. But have a skeptism that it could be one of the driver gone bad ( on right one) so will be sending these to Westone company for inspection...

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #4,275 of 4,413

Actually I enjoy collecting IEMs and appreciate all kind of sound signature :). Even worst sounding IEM like XBA-30 is still kept to show off to my friends what "bad" sounding earphones like - and I still listen to it couple times just for giggles. I do like UM3x and love it when first had it. But have a skeptism that it could be one of the driver gone bad ( on right one) so will be sending these to Westone company for inspection...

Or maybe have your ears checked out. 
Ringing it your right ear after listening to the um3x at low volume would definitely be a concern.  
A faulty driver could also be the culprit. Send it to Westone if it's still under warranty. 
I never did find any of the included tips comfortable so I ended up using the medium sized shure tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back