Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #2,581 of 5,568
According to a user who spoke to Westone at CES, the W4R is more precisely matched than the W4. Thus the regular W4 has potential for more of a mismatch. 

The extent of that quality control is hard to say though, a lot of manufacturers actually don't match drivers that precisely due to added cost. Shure and Etymotic do well in this aspect. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #2,582 of 5,568

Quote:
Good point. They're difficult to remove. I haven't removed my Olives since I put them on last year lol 
biggrin.gif
 (haven't really tried either)

Is there a right way and depth to insert them? Tried inserting them but they stopped mid way down the tip and when i tried to push it down further, it wouldn't move and it becomes really difficult to remove.

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,588 of 5,568

Quote:
Is there a right way and depth to insert them? Tried inserting them but they stopped mid way down the tip and when i tried to push it down further, it wouldn't move and it becomes really difficult to remove.

Thanks.

Either way is fine. It will yield a slightly different sound. I do this purposely, at at times with other phones (now GR-07) maybe 1/4 of the time, and used to use tips half way up the nozzle with the Westone 3, which helped tame the siblance on siblant recordings

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2,589 of 5,568
Well, good to know the premium over the W4 wasn't more than just removable cables and a plastic case.

Quote:
According to a user who spoke to Westone at CES, the W4R is more precisely matched than the W4. Thus the regular W4 has potential for more of a mismatch. 

The extent of that quality control is hard to say though, a lot of manufacturers actually don't match drivers that precisely due to added cost. Shure and Etymotic do well in this aspect. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #2,591 of 5,568

Quote:
It's absurd the regular W4 aren't balanced to +/- 2db, especially considering their price... :frowning2: westone

they are balanced. i'm pretty sure it is marketing hype regarding the W4R, because both my W4 and W4R are balanced perfectly at the moment. same deal with my um3x rc. 

also, i emailed westone CS back in december, and they told me both the W4 and W4R were exactly the same minus the detachable cables.

if you get a pair that isn't balanced right, contact westone, and i'm sure they will take care of you.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #2,592 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
It's absurd the regular W4 aren't balanced to +/- 2db, especially considering their price... :frowning2: westone

they are balanced. i'm pretty sure it is marketing hype regarding the W4R, because both my W4 and W4R are balanced perfectly at the moment. same deal with my um3x rc. 
also, i emailed westone CS back in december, and they told me both the W4 and W4R were exactly the same minus the detachable cables.
if you get a pair that isn't balanced right, contact westone, and i'm sure they will take care of you.

It probably is just marketing and I'm sure the W4s are balanced...but to +/-2db? Westone seems to differentiate the two models by overtly stating that the W4Rs are, implying the previous model are not. If the two models aren't any different in this area I find that misleading. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #2,593 of 5,568

Quote:

It probably is just marketing and I'm sure the W4s are balanced...but to +/-2db? Westone seems to differentiate the two models by overtly stating that the W4Rs are, implying the previous model are not. If the two models aren't any different in this area I find that misleading. 

it's the same thing etymotic did with the er4p and the er4pt.

it's just word games at this point. it doesn't matter what the claim is, or what the model is - the bottom line is, to your ears, both sides had better sound exactly the same to you. if they don't sound the same, confirm with another pair you know to be balanced perfectly, and make sure. then finally, with the problem defined, call westone, and have them replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back