Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #2,567 of 5,568
Quote:
hey everyone, im new to this forum and i recently got my 4r. been enjoying every moment with it but it seems that whenever i am on the bus or in noisy environements the highs becomes too piercing for some jazz pieces or vocal songs i listen to so much so that i have to use the treble reducer on my ipod classic to enjoy my music. i am currently using the medium sized long complies that came with the 4r and also still on stock cable.

am i doing anything wrong here or is it just the way it is with the 4r?

thank you.

IMO...the W4s are very tip dependent, in that their sound changes significantly depending on the tip in use. I found the treble least enjoyable with deeper fit tips (e.g. long comply, triple flange, etc)...not harsh necessarily, but more so than with other tips.  

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,568 of 5,568

Quote:
The last time I put olive tips on the W4 I had a horrible time getting them off. Not wetting my pants horrible but more like what have I done horrible.

When my W4R come, no way I'm putting shure olives on...though I think they sound fantastic with the olives!

Do they actually have to be inserted all the way down or till they become too tight to move? I tried putting them on yesterday and couldn't move them down and I didn't want to risk breaking the tip.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2,569 of 5,568

Quote:

IMO...the W4s are very tip dependent, in that their sound changes significantly depending on the tip in use. I found the treble least enjoyable with deeper fit tips (e.g. long comply, triple flange, etc)...not harsh necessarily, but more so than with other tips.  

But does the issue get worse with surrounding/background noise? Because it seems to for me and some songs just do not sound as good with the treble reducer EQ on so I have to constantly adjust my EQ settings which is really inconvenient.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #2,570 of 5,568

Quote:
But does the issue get worse with surrounding/background noise? Because it seems to for me and some songs just do not sound as good with the treble reducer EQ on so I have to constantly adjust my EQ settings which is really inconvenient.

The W4s treble has never been piercing for me, regardless of background noise nor has it changed/increased with background noise. However, I don't use the comply tips for the reason I noted which I thought might be related to your problem. Like I said, I do find the treble more harsh with long tips so maybe using a different tip, at least in loud environments, might address your issue. 

I totally agree that nothing will sound as good with the treble reducer enabled, especially if you are using the iTunes EQ. If you are using a idevice and need an equalizer I would recommend using EQu over the iTunes EQ.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,571 of 5,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm...interesting. 

What makes the shure tips better?

Maybe not better, but definitely worth a listen. I personally prefer the presentation.

Quote:
hey everyone, im new to this forum and i recently got my 4r. been enjoying every moment with it but it seems that whenever i am on the bus or in noisy environements the highs becomes too piercing for some jazz pieces or vocal songs i listen to so much so that i have to use the treble reducer on my ipod classic to enjoy my music. i am currently using the medium sized long complies that came with the 4r and also still on stock cable.

am i doing anything wrong here or is it just the way it is with the 4r?

thank you.

As others have already said, the W4 sound has a good bit to do with the tips you use.

Quote:
The last time I put olive tips on the W4 I had a horrible time getting them off. Not wetting my pants horrible but more like what have I done horrible.

When my W4R come, no way I'm putting shure olives on...though I think they sound fantastic with the olives!

Good point. They're difficult to remove. I haven't removed my Olives since I put them on last year lol 
biggrin.gif
 (haven't really tried either)

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2,572 of 5,568
Hey all!

So ordered W4R from an authorized dealer. And waited. And waited. Only to find they are no longer a dealer and had canceled my order without sending me an email! Boo!!!

Where are you all getting a good price on these? Anything better than Earphone Solutions from an authorized dealer?

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #2,580 of 5,568

Quote:
Does anyone with the W4 feel the drivers are a little imbalanced?
It says on the W4r product info Acoustic Symmetry +/- 2dB acoustically matched earpieces
and on this thread that the drivers are mismatched http://www.head-fi.org/t/588522/westone-4-driver-miss-match-should-be-disscused

Is it noticible because I'm thinking of getting them.

You'll notice a small difference in exactly what that user described.  Certain sounds will pan one way or another.  2dB is definitely audible (depending on where and over how big of a frequency range will tell you how audible it is) though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back