Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2,552 of 5,568
I've been reading through this thread thoroughly to find opinions about suitable eartips for Westone 4.

Currently, I'm using the medium-sized gray tips, the mid sounds too forward and harsh. The cymbal sounds too "spiky" and scattered for fast-tempo rock song. But, when i listen to orchestral piece, the overall combination of sound frequency is just nice to my ear.

When I change it to the smallest-sized foam tips (included in w4 standard package), the mid and treble problems seem to be covered, which sound just nice for rock song. But for the orchestral piece, there is a lack of dynamic inside, every frequency seems to be "hiding" behind the veil.

For the medium-sized white silicon tips, the overall sound becomes brighter, which makes me feel that there is a lack of bass, but the treble and mid problems seem to disappear. The cymbal sounds crispy but not scattered, the mid sounds forward but not as harsh as the sound in gray-tips. 

The rest of the ear tips are not suitable for the size of my ear-canal and I still cannot find the suitable ear tips for my w4. Any recommendation?

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2,553 of 5,568
For best clarity the Shure Olives work best for me.

For the best bass and really really great instrument separation and imaging (although it's good with just about any tip I use), I recommend the Earportz silicon tips. These tips are going to give you a really deep fit however (similar to wearing customs or custom tips).

Other than those two, I like the large stock oval-shaped silicon tips....

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #2,554 of 5,568
Hi guys,

Just recently got a Westone 4R. Prior to this, I was using V-Moda Vibe - which has a very neutral sound. I don't need earphones that "add" to my setup since my player can pretty much give me the sound I want (right now, I'm using Cowon D2 and X5). So, when the store manager pointed me towards the Westone, I was at first apprehensive because of the price but after listening to his description and reading reviews (albeit few), I was sold.

I immediately tried them out on my Samsung Galaxy S2 (medium grey tips). I had some Guthrie Govan, Satriani, Vai guitar tunes there as well as some Chicane electronica and I was floored! Wow! The soundstage is just amazingly realistic, like you're in a room with the band spread out in front of you. The bass is EXACT. No matter how good single driver phones are, there's going to be a point where the bass is going to affect the mids and treble, with 4 drivers I never once heard this happening - instrument separation and response was again, exactly as it's supposed to sound. No mid-range peak and no treble harshness whatsoever. If there's something wrong with the sound, it's got to do with the source - Bit rate for example? I usually record 320kbps or use ogg or flac.

When I used my Cowon D2, I really got a feel of how good these were. On every other phone or speaker setup (except my home setup), I have to use BBE or mach3 bass or some other type of enhancement to make it sound good (that's what I love about Cowon, they can make practically any setup sound great), with the Westones, it actually sounds much better with a flat EQ and no enhancements! And the sound doesn't falter one bit no matter how high the volume.

That said, I'm never going to back to a single driver setup again.

regards,

lorsban

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #2,555 of 5,568
Nice first post.

I use the W4 with the D2 as well and admittedly like to crank up a few of the settings. BBE-7, MB-3, and slightly more highs on the EQ (0,0,1,2,3). Your ears may vary 
biggrin.gif
 The D2 is on the brink of being dethroned by the Studio-V (internal Class A) though. The soundstage is superb! Congrats on your upgrade, btw! They're worth every penny.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2,556 of 5,568

Quote:
Nice first post.

I use the W4 with the D2 as well and admittedly like to crank up a few of the settings. BBE-7, MB-3, and slightly more highs on the EQ (0,0,1,2,3). Your ears may vary 
biggrin.gif
 The D2 is on the brink of being dethroned by the Studio-V (internal Class A) though. The soundstage is superb! Congrats on your upgrade, btw! They're worth every penny.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome!

I use more or less that setting on the D2 with my V-Moda and just add BBE 4 when I plug into my car stereo, which I also setup.

What are Studio-V? Is that a home amp or a player as well?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #2,557 of 5,568
It is a DAP, like the D2, but by Hisound Audio.

If you haven't already, you should give the Shure Olive tips a try on the W4.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #2,561 of 5,568

I find that monster tips with a comply core work best, specifically by opening up the sound bore (similar to the hard/clear silicone ones included but uncomfortable imo). Others have noted this approach but I thought I would post some pictures. I've tried all the W4 tips along with many others including shure olives and earsonic biflange and find this to be the best solution for my ears.

Step 1: Strip core from medium comply and cut to match the length of the W4 stem.

Step 2: Put cut comply core on W4 stem (I prefer upside down as it helps to keep the tip on and funnels the sound better).

Step 3: Put on monster tips (I used the med/black silicone tips)

Note wider diameter of the monster tip...which opens up the W4 sound imo.

Enjoy...

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,562 of 5,568

Quote:
Better seal = better sound

IMO there are more factors than seal in the SQ equation, but if you are looking for more seal look no further than Comply P-Series.  These get way inside the canal and expand for a proper and deep seal and, because of their depth, really contour to the shape/bends of the canal.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #2,563 of 5,568
hey everyone, im new to this forum and i recently got my 4r. been enjoying every moment with it but it seems that whenever i am on the bus or in noisy environements the highs becomes too piercing for some jazz pieces or vocal songs i listen to so much so that i have to use the treble reducer on my ipod classic to enjoy my music. i am currently using the medium sized long complies that came with the 4r and also still on stock cable.

am i doing anything wrong here or is it just the way it is with the 4r?

thank you.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,565 of 5,568
The last time I put olive tips on the W4 I had a horrible time getting them off. Not wetting my pants horrible but more like what have I done horrible.

When my W4R come, no way I'm putting shure olives on...though I think they sound fantastic with the olives!

Quote:
Quote:

+1 Love that combination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back