Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,611 of 5,568
I think then that you are almost perfectly safe with the W4. I haven't heard of any driver issues. The only issue I've heard recently of Westones is that their cables can wear out but the W4R takes care of that! I'd buy and enjoy!

Quote:

there are only minor issues before when you search around and back read thanks.. but i'm happy they're not like the monster turbine pros driver issues

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #2,612 of 5,568

Quote:
what are the best non-foam tips for the westone 4s?  I get a good fit now but If i can pay any amount of money to get a better sound i will.. 

getting more bass if its possible would be nice,

Personally, I found the Westone grey slicone flex tips to be perfect for them. Shure makes a brand also, but the I like the westone more

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,613 of 5,568

Maybe not better, but definitely worth a listen. I personally prefer the presentation.

hey everyone, im new to this forum and i recently got my 4r. been enjoying every moment with it but it seems that whenever i am on the bus or in noisy environements the highs becomes too piercing for some jazz pieces or vocal songs i listen to so much so that i have to use the treble reducer on my ipod classic to enjoy my music. i am currently using the medium sized long complies that came with the 4r and also still on stock cable.

am i doing anything wrong here or is it just the way it is with the 4r?

thank you.

As others have already said, the W4 sound has a good bit to do with the tips you use.

The last time I put olive tips on the W4 I had a horrible time getting them off. Not wetting my pants horrible but more like what have I done horrible.

When my W4R come, no way I'm putting shure olives on...though I think they sound fantastic with the olives!

Good point. They're difficult to remove. I haven't removed my Olives since I put them on last year lol 
biggrin.gif
 (haven't really tried either)

========================================================================================

Shure Olives come off very easy, if you very lightly use your fingernails, and pry them off. It is amazing.
Also above with the high Piercings, make sure you are getting a good seal. I haven't heard of any Piercing highs regarding the W4. Try using the triple flange

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2,614 of 5,568

Hi, long time lurker, had the W4's for a month or two now, gonna try to be helpful for once...

Quote:
what are the best non-foam tips for the westone 4s?  I get a good fit now but If i can pay any amount of money to get a better sound i will.. 

getting more bass if its possible would be nice,

Have you tried the biflanges included with the Earsonics SM3? They apparently also sell them separately as accessories on their website, don't exactly remember the cost (I stole a couple of them from my friend who had extras from his SM3's). They fit onto the W4 just fine, and give a really balanced sound, probably even more so than the Olives. You could also try the Sony Hybrids, there was a mod that involved cutting off the stems from the stock tips to fit the Hybrids. I think there's some pics somewhere in this thread, too scared to mutilate my own tips when the Olives and biflanges fit me just fine. But like what HeadphoneAddict said earlier, custom tips are probably the best way to go if you want the best fit. (Edit: forgot about Sensorcom tips, looks painful, but people report good fit and sound, bit pricey)

As for the others who had a problem with the highs, again, its probably the tips. But if all of them give you the same issue, try not to put the tips as far as you can down the stems, 3/4 or 2/3 's all the way down should allow the nozzle to reach further into your ears and give a better seal. I also felt that the highs became a bit softer, probably because the sound has to travel a further distance in due to the extra spacing.

Oh, I also want to ask any UM56 owners around here, whether the vinyl or silicone would be a better bet. Should the different materials impact the sound in any way? Which ones would be more comfortable?

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,615 of 5,568
Ill look into that.  I wanted more bass if possible, but I think I either just have to get used to these phones, or im actually just a bass head.  I dunno if i'm alone here, but I find myself not engaged in alot of the music in a fun way, but more of a musically analytical way.  

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,616 of 5,568

Quote:
Ill look into that.  I wanted more bass if possible, but I think I either just have to get used to these phones, or im actually just a bass head.  I dunno if i'm alone here, but I find myself not engaged in alot of the music in a fun way, but more of a musically analytical way.  

This is exactly why I returned my W4 the first time and explored other options. After doing so, I bought them a second time and I am not looking back. I love the large Comply tips with them. Pairing that with EQu for the iPhone and my basshead is totally satisfied if the need arises. Also keep in mind the W4 is considered a warmer and more musical earphone than many competing balanced armatures. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2,617 of 5,568

Quote:

The 4s don't dig as deep as they should, but do dig deep enough for most things. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2,619 of 5,568

Quote:
Im completely happy with their low end extension, what I want is more impact.

Although I'm content with their extension, I do feel that they could do a better job with it.  As for impact, I feel that they suffice in this category as well (no need for an increase). 

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2,620 of 5,568
Im completely happy with their low end extension, what I want is more impact.

The PFE232 will definitely give you this, but they don't come cheap. Keep an eye out for discount codes at earphonesolutions, and trust me, they're worth it. 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2,621 of 5,568

^ Thanks i2ehan, ill keep an eye out. Do the PFE232 sound pretty similar to the W4 otherwise?
I've really come to appriciate the W4s for all that they are and started looking elsewhere for what little their not. I'm getting my TF10s reshelled and have been considering some FX700s.  I'll definitly take a closer look at the PFE232 :)

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2,622 of 5,568

Quote:
The PFE232 will definitely give you this, but they don't come cheap. Keep an eye out for discount codes at earphonesolutions, and trust me, they're worth it. 
wink.gif

My PFE232'S should be in tomorrow from earphonesolutions, they have a 15 percent off coupon code right now. While I love my 4r's I just wanted a little more low end impact and sparkly treble. I hope they 232's have it!

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #2,625 of 5,568
Just try it people and let me know what you think.

Using eQu with an iPhone 4. Some people less fond of bass may want to drop the two farthest left points somewhat. Imo the following EQ makes the W4's sound considerably better. Much closer to being in line with my more expensive full sized cans. Albeit not quite as detailed or textured.

White version if it makes it any easier to copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back