Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Jan 6, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #16 of 2,524
finally from Westone. Hope it sound warmer than Shure E500

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 2,524
Big news from Westone! It will be interesting to see how the final entrant to the triple-driver universal fit market turns out, especially as it is the only one to be a three-way design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmic castaway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a triple driver.. it cant be smaller than the current UM2?? Not?

Shure was able to make the E500 smaller than the E5, so anything is possible.

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #18 of 2,524
Aw man, I wish I could go to MacWorld, so close! Maybe I need to call in sick to work one day?
tongue.gif

Can you tell us how much the Westone 3 is going to cost? The E500 and triple.fi have been tempting but I can't justify sinking $500 into an IEM, is it going to be cheaper?

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 2,524
Awesome! Can't wait to see some pictures of these.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh noes! the ES2 fund is complete just when the westone 3 is announced! what to do? V_V

i've come this far, i can't be swayed by an extra driver...
tongue.gif

camille, try these first since these can be resold. if you don't like 'em i'll buy/swap 'em from/with you and then you can go the custom route, eh?

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 2,524
OK to answer a few questions:

1) pricing - not set yet. Will be in the mid-high $300 range (that is subject to change)

2) pics - have not got any press shots yet. Will soon and will post them.

3) size - about the same as the UM2, a little more oval in shape. Still as flush fitting as the UM2. Out current protoypes are using the UM2 casing, so that will give you an idea of the compact size of the drivers.

4) sound - subjective of course; but very warm mids, tight base and sharp, crisp highs. Some have stated they sound at least as good as the ES2.

5) shows - Not doing CES, just MacWorld for the release. Also working on getting to the Meet in April.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #24 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK to answer a few questions:

1) pricing - not set yet. Will be in the mid-high $300 range (that is subject to change)

2) pics - have not got any press shots yet. Will soon and will post them.

3) size - about the same as the UM2, a little more oval in shape. Still as flush fitting as the UM2. Out current protoypes are using the UM2 casing, so that will give you an idea of the compact size of the drivers.

4) sound - subjective of course; but very warm mids, tight base and sharp, crisp highs. Some have stated they sound at least as good as the ES2.

5) shows - Not doing CES, just MacWorld for the release. Also working on getting to the Meet in April.

No offense but im not getting excited about any new iem till I see it on a shelf. After the last UE Triple Trajady! Someone PM me when these are real! UE had samples too! Dont mean to be a downer just learned my lesson once and dont have heart to do it ever again!
plainface.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #25 of 2,524
Exciting news, for sure...but "inline volume control"? I'm skeptical, but holding my judgment until those press shots come out.

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #26 of 2,524
This is impressive, since you are stating that it will in fact use a 3-way crossover.

The E500 and Triple.Fi have three drivers, but only a 2-way crossover configuration, while the 2 bass drivers are configured differently internally to yield different sound frequencies (I'm not exactly sure how that works, but that's what they say).

And if the price is in the mid $300s with the legendary UM2 comfort, that's very impressive.

Now you just have to do one last thing.... no way would I spend $300-$400 without them having user-replaceable cables. I've had way too many issues with cables in the past, and if it weren't for them being replaceable, I would have lost lots of money to IEMs (having to buy new ones or sending them in for repairs). I hope Westone takes this into consideration. And I'm not the kind of person who is rough with his equipment. I take extreme care, always keeping headphones in their case when not in use, often leaving them outstreched to avoid curling and kinking, and I never do anything "active" when wearing them.

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #27 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont mean to be a downer just learned my lession once and dont have heart to do it ever again!
plainface.gif

Lesion or lesson?
confused.gif
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #29 of 2,524
Well with this info...I'm very very intrigued. If folks say they sound at least as good as the ES2's...this means I woudl either be looking at the UM3's...or the ES3's. Since the ES3's aren't meant really for audio playback...could this be the ultimate in comfort and sound? I'm willing to test it out.

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #30 of 2,524
ipodpj: i think westone knows what they're doing. if they don't want to include a replaceable cord then let them. the good thing about being a consumer is that you can buy what suits your needs. you want a replaceable cord, so buy an ultimate ear product. if you want more comfort, buy these. its simple really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back