Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Jan 7, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #31 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrox89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ipodpj: i think westone knows what they're doing. if they don't want to include a replaceable cord then let them. the good thing about being a consumer is that you can buy what suits your needs. you want a replaceable cord, so buy an ultimate ear product. if you want more comfort, buy these. its simple really.

That's a pretty flawed argument. What do manufacturers stand to lose by including replaceable cords? If cords fail, they won't have to bear the costs of RMAing - instead, they'll be making money on people buying new cords. There's really no good reason for Westone to leave them out.

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #32 of 2,524
i was not arguing. i am just saying that i dont think westone needs his advice in developing a product.. especially this late in the process.

anyways. cheers to more great headphones.

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #33 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by potatotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pretty flawed argument. What do manufacturers stand to lose by including replaceable cords? If cords fail, they won't have to bear the costs of RMAing - instead, they'll be making money on people buying new cords. There's really no good reason for Westone to leave them out.

RMAing doesn't always mean company bears the cost. Etymotic has given me an RMA number and I was told the cost would be $50 for the cable + shipping. So how does that work?

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #34 of 2,524
Can they make a user replaceable cable while maintaining such a small form factor? I know that customs are pretty big... so are the super.fis. Though I would LOVE to see someone come out with a modified cable for an IEM.

Looking forward to this headphone. It'll be a wonderful treat come summer... just guessing that would probably be a reasonable time as you all are showing prototypes at Macworld... then again I recall Shure taking awhile to bring out the E500.

Sounds like another great product. Looking forward to hearing impressions from the lucky folks who get to go to Macworld.

One question though... will these work with the same UM56 molds for the UM1/UM2 series?

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #35 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
camille, try these first since these can be resold. if you don't like 'em i'll buy/swap 'em from/with you and then you can go the custom route, eh?

true. but i guess i'll play it by ear (no pun intended). i am so close to booking an appt w/ an audiologist to get impressions done, the whole nine; all funds need to be cleared and everything in order. i wager that delays things a few weeks, it's now decision-making time!!!

Jan 7, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #38 of 2,524
I love my Westone UM2's.
So these might very well be my next IEM upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #39 of 2,524
Whew! I was about to buy the Westone UM2. Now that these TRIPLE driver ones are coming out, I'll be getting these. Also, it says it has the same comfort as UM2 and I heard UM2s were very comfortable. I'm glad I saw this! =] Thanks Westone!

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #43 of 2,524
Most interesting. I'm already thinking to my future upgrade from my much appreciated Vibes - not imminent but inevitable - a guy can't stand still
biggrin.gif
- and I'm thinking full isolation and have been honing in on the UM2s. Now this! We may have another leader. (It certainly makes it easier to believe that Westone will edge out the Shure 500s for my purposes.)

As for the inline volume control, as someone who commutes to work with my iPod pocketed in its leather case, this is a potentially fine feature, especially when listening off a playlist or shufle. The question is the quality of the pots. Shure went with a low-end design explicitely for airplanes only (I ordered one but don't use it.) We will see if the Westone is better. That's at least possible and very intriguing.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #45 of 2,524
Powderhound, thanks for the announcement!

One question I have: Does the Westone 3 have hiss with iPods?

I love my super-fi 5, but one thing that bugs me is the hiss from the iPod. It's only audible during quiet/silent parts, but still, I listen to music with a lot of dynamic range and so sometimes during music playback I will hear it.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back