Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Oct 10, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #1,561 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks can be deceiving... Those cables are about the best cables you can have on an in-ear earphones.

This is anecdotal and I don't have much experience with IEMs (Etys, a few Shures, UM2s) but I have to say that the UM2 cord (is this the same that the UM1 and 3s will have?) is incredibly durable. I have owned the UM2s for about a year. I use them every single night. In conjunction with an aluminum nano, I fall asleep to music. The UM2s stay in my ears for most of the night and the cords are still going strong. I admit to not being a restless sleeper, but even some movement one would expect that at 365 days x (3-8) hours of use the cord would be hurting just a bit. My older Etys' cable tore right open and I treated those things with kids gloves. The UM2s I put through the ringer and still they look brand new. I don't know if this cable is the best type of cable for IEMs but I will say that from my experience, it sure isn't a flimsy cable at all. It can take serious punishment.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #1,562 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is anecdotal and I don't have much experience with IEMs (Etys, a few Shures, UM2s) but I have to say that the UM2 cord (is this the same that the UM1 and 3s will have?) is incredibly durable. I have owned the UM2s for about a year. I use them every single night. In conjunction with an aluminum nano, I fall asleep to music. The UM2s stay in my ears for most of the night and the cords are still going strong. I admit to not being a restless sleeper, but even some movement one would expect that at 365 days x (3-8) hours of use the cord would be hurting just a bit. My older Etys' cable tore right open and I treated those things with kids gloves. The UM2s I put through the ringer and still they look brand new. I don't know if this cable is the best type of cable for IEMs but I will say that from my experience, it sure isn't a flimsy cable at all. It can take serious punishment.

I think the weakest point is the strain relief entry to the IEM body. Ironically, replaceable cables introduce a joint that can break (the plug and socket), but generally, the strain relief is more generous than fixed cables I've seen.

At least replaceable cables give you some peace of mind.

-Ed

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #1,563 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the weakest point is the strain relief entry to the IEM body. Ironically, replaceable cables introduce a joint that can break (the plug and socket), but generally, the strain relief is more generous than fixed cables I've seen.

At least replaceable cables give you some peace of mind.

Agreed on replaceable cables.

My Shure E500 and E2 IEMs' cables suck -- became stiff and then fell apart in less than 4 months on both models. If Shure sources their IEMs from Westone (TTBOMK), why didn't they source Westone's cable design?

One more thing while I have the floor:

Attn: Manufacturers of all headphones and related gear...

Spare me the costly, glossy, over-designed packaging and put that $ into better-sounding, more-durable gear....OR, alternatively, cheaper phones.
Thx!

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #1,564 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Shure E500 and E2 IEMs' cables suck -- became stiff and then fell apart in less than 4 months on both models. If Shure sources their IEMs from Westone (TTBOMK), why didn't they source Westone's cable design?

Spare me the costly, glossy, over-designed packaging and put that $ into better-sounding, more-durable gear....OR, alternatively, cheaper phones.
Thx!

Acutally, I appericate the cable of UM2. Even though it looks very thin and fragile, I thought it's very light, durable and easy to handle. Then length of the cable fits my body very well, and the cable always staight and soft.

On the other hand, I blame the cables of Shure. I used to own a Shure E4, which has a long, tough, and heavy cable. I sold it after one month. I recently bought a Shure E500 PTH, which sounds very good and sweet. I admit this pair of E500 is the best universal IEMs I listened to in my life. However, I sold it after a week and half because of the heavy cable.

Right now, I expect the new 3 comes out as soon as possible.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #1,565 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !

But you did not deliver...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #1,566 of 2,524
To be fair, I don't recall anyone at Westone ever actually giving a firm release date in the past, so they're not late per se. Later than we'd like, yes, that's clear.. but I'd rather wait for the finished product then get something that's disappointing.

It's a big deal for the Westone guys and gals, they want to get it right. I for one applaud their stand of not releasing it 'til they're happy with it.

It's not uncommon for a manufaturer to announce a product, and ship it much later, like Leopard for example, announced like august last year, still not out..

Give them a break, they're not sitting around goofing off I'm sure, they want this product out as much as you do.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #1,567 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair, I don't recall anyone at Westone ever actually giving a firm release date in the past, so they're not late per se.

Well, what about this statement?
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-large]T Minus 34 Days[/size]

AKA May 21st
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #1,569 of 2,524
That's your idea of a FIRM release date is it? heh

I got this bridge for sale..

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #1,570 of 2,524
Quote:

I got this bridge for sale..

Coming from powderhound? Man on the inside? Liason to Head-Fi for all things Westone? Holy Denial Batman!!!!
You did get owned.

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #1,571 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from powderhound? Man on the inside? Liason to Head-Fi for all things Westone? Holy Denial Batman!!!!
You did get owned.

Owned? No way, he got pwn3d.
evil_smiley.gif
Jokes craiglester!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #1,573 of 2,524
kinda missing the point of my post but hey, whatever
rolleyes.gif

I think all the "are we there yet? are we there yet?" style badgering isn't going to make any difference whatsoever to when they release them.
I'm certain that they will do the right thing, which is of course, get it right before they release it.
Unless of course you want a substandard product?
It's a little like all those people who complained "Vista's delayed, we want it now!" and when it arrives it's well, rubbish.. you can have it done right or you can have it early..

I'd rather wait myself.

To lose patience is to lose the battle.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Edit, now that I have time to look: post # 966 in this thread... tentative does not mean firm, well not in my book. Oh and post 978 is kinda amusing in an ironic kind of way.

ten·ta·tive
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈtɛn
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
tɪv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ten-tuh-tiv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.of the nature of or made or done as a trial, experiment, or attempt; experimental: a tentative report on her findings. 2.unsure; uncertain; not definite or positive; hesitant: a tentative smile on his face.
versus

firm1
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/fɜrm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[furm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, verb, adverb, -er, -est. –adjective 1.not soft or yielding when pressed; comparatively solid, hard, stiff, or rigid: firm ground; firm texture. 2.securely fixed in place. 3.not shaking or trembling; steady: a firm voice. 4.not likely to change; fixed; settled; unalterable: a firm belief. 5.steadfast or unwavering, as persons or principles: firm friends. 6.indicating firmness or determination: a firm expression. 7.not fluctuating much or falling, as prices, values, etc.: The stock market was firm today. –verb (used with object) 8.to make firm; tighten or strengthen (sometimes fol. by up): to firm up one's hold on something. 9.to steady or fix (sometimes fol. by up): to firm up prices. –verb (used without object) 10.to become firm or fixed (sometimes fol. by up): Butter firms by churning. 11.(of prices, markets, etc.) to recover; become stronger, as after a decline (sometimes fol. by up): Stock prices firmed again today. –adverb 12.firmly: He stood firm.

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #1,574 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thx!

Hello There

Saw your post and was curious.What did you mena when u said shure sources their IEMS from weston?(If the ttbomk was supposed to indicated somethin I do not know that).If what you said is true I might as well buy westons from here on.

So is weston providing head fiers any group buy offers or something ?On a lot of new products I have seen that manufactures give shead ifers a nice preorder price.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #1,575 of 2,524
Quote:

Yes, thats what I call a FIRM release date announcement!
Coming from p0wderh0und23, which is a man inside Westone. How much clearer do we need it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back