VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)
May 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 507
ak4480  is the chip the Fostex uses, I wonder how the ak4353 measures against it.

googled them both and they have the specs on the Asahi Kasei website, but I`m not really sure what to look for :wink:

(i would post links to the spec pages but I`m not sure about the forums rules).

May 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 507
Man, I hope this thing's SQ can compete with the dx100!  From what I've read, the CLAS/Amp or HP-1 gives incrementally better SQ than an iPhone, whereas the ibasso's improvement is exponential .  Maybe that's just hype- but still- if this is competitive, I'd much prefer this and not having to deal with ibasso's glitchy interface.  Looking forward to the reviews
popcorn.gif

May 30, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #22 of 507
So is this using the iAP (iPod Accessory Protocol) like the Fostex and CLAS? I don't think so. The previous Go-DAPs don't. They take the analogue signal from the iPod line out and then re-digitize it so that you can use the optical out or the internal DAC. That is a big difference.

May 30, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 507
Quote:
So is this using the iAP (iPod Accessory Protocol) like the Fostex and CLAS? I don't think so. The previous Go-DAPs don't. They take the analogue signal from the iPod line out and then re-digitize it so that you can use the optical out or the internal DAC. That is a big difference.

If true, this is a big difference. It is interesting though? How did you come by that info? I've been following the Go-DAP quite closely for some time now and this is the first I've heard that it does AD->DA conversion. I'm mailing the manufacturer right now to confirm this claim.

P.S. Assuming you're talking about the Go-DAP 4.0 'cos the Go-DAP 3.0 was only an Amp, and never claimed to be a DAC/Amp in the first place.

May 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #24 of 507
Edit: I looked at this before and reached the above  conclusion. 

The descriptions are a bit convoluted and I have been reading them in a negative light but maybe that is the wrong approach. Apologies if I am incorrect. I will take a look later again.

May 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #25 of 507
Okay, when i read the Go-DAP materials before, it seemed clear to me that it was not bypassing the iPhone's internal DAC. Since then they have added quite a bit of extra material to their web site. It is still confusing but the statement "Enhance the iPhone4 original sound with digital out through a 30-pin connector" suggests to me that it may in fact be using the iAP to bypass the iPhone's internal DAC.

Would it be too much to ask them to use the words: "bypasses the iPhone's internal DAC"?  That is, after all, the key issue.

I officially have no idea now. Maybe it is an iAP device.

May 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 507
I couldn't tell from the pictures but will this have a line out to send to an external amp or maybe even a digital out to send to a secondary DAC? This looks to be a very interesting product. Can't wait to here more.

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #30 of 507
2 Things.

1: if this does work with a pc, with USB audio Class 1, then its possible it will work with CM7 android devices, like mine, which means I can continue to hate on apple, YAY!

2: it doesn't fix the form factor of the device like the 4, and the VAMP, which is a bad thing IMHO, what they should do is have interchangeable "covers" that wrap and protect the device and attach to the go-dap, that way the phone protected like it is with the 4 or the vamp, and it can be scaled to other devices. Gives it a great amount of longevity, versus the 1~2 year lifespan they have now.

Or am I the only one that thinks this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back