V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #211 of 394
i already posted in the other xs thread but 
figured id post here if it helps anyone . i tried my xs on the my commute today (two different types of subways the new and the old trains) in toronto if any torontonians here  you know what i mean

on the old trains the everything was louder the wheels screeching the sound of the train moving (oddly there was not one talking or babies crying or anything else

on this trip i normally set my volume at 6 on my fiio e6 amp ( at home listening), i had to set it 10, and even then the wheels screeching and the subway moving sound was coming through 

i had to use the eq3 (bass and treble booster) to mitigate the background noise as much as possible because i just didn't want to turn up the volume any more  (and wreck my hearing), with no eq the subbass all but disappeared the treble already a bit soft on the top end got cancelled out 

so i was basically listening to midbass and vocals (abeit the vocals retained their beautiful lushness) its not the same

it made the bass a a bit too thick for my liking with the overly forward lower treble but anyways.

i felt if your transit system is old fashion, the xs wouldn't be enough to get you through your commute  (for example new york transit, id say the xs won't help you much)

however once i transferred out of the old trains to the new ones (everything was quieter, the wheels bumpping and screeching, train moving all quieter)

i was able to lower down to about 7-8 without using any eq (not needed) and most of it came through pretty well (i forget these are on ears, its hard cause i'm use to using iems for so long, especially for commuting)

the subbbass came back (well most of it) the midbass was still punchy as before (still feeling the rhythm without turning up), mids were the same (beautiful) the softer treble was coming through much better than before

and again on this trip on the new trains, no conversations going on around me, no babies crying)

actually in the end there was a couple talking next to me (I heard everything!) the announcements on the overhead for each stop was heard pretty clearly ( if i was perfectly immersed into my music, i probably won't notice. I had to concentrate a bit to hear what stop it was)

so if your transit system in this case is on the quieter end it should be okay! 

also i tried these while walking around the busy downtown core of toronto from class to class and from school to school (had to go to a different school for a class, 20 min walk)! same at volume 7 on my fiio e6 no problem! it came through better > on the new subway carts! these xs i feel they thrive in the urban environment! i actually feel they sound better walking around in the streets > at home tbh (it made the warm sound signature more neutral) so the bass became more linear to me

most of the songs i listened to was pop music 

i tried some acoustic music and ballads (aside from walking around downtown, the xs didn't isolate enough to really enjoy listening to them, i guess on the new subway carts, i could give them okay recommendation, just okay though)

hope that helps anyone looking at the xs, no one really posted on its isolation yet

oh btw after my commute and my walk (which was about 2 -2.5 hours or so my ears still feel okay! so for comfort especially as an on ear headphone they get a very solid recommendation!

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #212 of 394
One last note, the V-Corks for the XS are different than the ones for the M-100.  They are actually shaped like a headphone jack of a cable... 

...And they work with more than just the XS - they work with everything that has a standard 3.5mil AUX port. Planning to use my spare for when I get my Verza, since Verza replaces the need for AUX.

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #213 of 394
Has anyone compared these to the Momentum On Ear? Setting aside esthetics I am curious how they compared sonically speaking, comfort wise, and isolation wise. I have a pair of M80 and find the MOE is as comfortable band about as isolating. But the MOE has deeper harder hitting bass and better treble with a slightly more neutral midrange. Details are somewhat similar as is sound stage. I am curious if is a worthwhile upgrade or simply a side grade.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #214 of 394
Has anyone compared these to the Momentum On Ear? Setting aside esthetics I am curious how they compared sonically speaking, comfort wise, and isolation wise. I have a pair of M80 and find the MOE is as comfortable band about as isolating. But the MOE has deeper harder hitting bass and better treble with a slightly more neutral midrange. Details are somewhat similar as is sound stage. I am curious if is a worthwhile upgrade or simply a side grade.

Moe is more crispier than the V-Moda line, soundstage isn't as good as XS. But it's a Ferrari and a fiat, you can't compare.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #215 of 394
Moe is more crispier than the V-Moda line, soundstage isn't as good as XS. But it's a Ferrari and a fiat, you can't compare.

I think Mercedes and Maserati might be more appropriate. (Or Ford and Tesla, since both are technically American owned.)

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #216 of 394
Which ones the Ferrari and which the Fiat? :)

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #217 of 394
Which ones the Ferrari and which the Fiat?
smily_headphones1.gif

But Fiat owns Ferrari :D.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #218 of 394
ok im back and stuck again iv'e tryd the M100s and just love how they sound but they are to much for me to spend plus I would also need to buy an amp for them so is there a way to make the XS have bass like the M100 but a bit less but still have the awsome clarity. What im saying is will the C&C Bh2 make the bass tigher and punchier on the XS. If somebody has had experience with this setup of the XS and Bh2 can you tell me how it sounds like in highs,mids,lows and soundstage becauss I really like the XS but I also would like to know if the bass is hard hitting but not as hard as the M100?

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #219 of 394
ok im back and stuck again iv'e tryd the M100s and just love how they sound but they are to much for me to spend plus I would also need to buy an amp for them so is there a way to make the XS have bass like the M100 but a bit less but still have the awsome clarity. What im saying is will the C&C Bh2 make the bass tigher and punchier on the XS. If somebody has had experience with this setup of the XS and Bh2 can you tell me how it sounds like in highs,mids,lows and soundstage becauss I really like the XS but I also would like to know if the bass is hard hitting but not as hard as the M100?

The M-100 don't require an amp. They'll certainly improve with one (what doesn't?). As for making the XS bass sound like the M-100's, the M-80s are closer actually to that. But you can either EQ them up or get an amp that has a bass boost. You can also try to add some resistance and cover up the driver with something (that's harder to do).

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #220 of 394
What I meant was that to bring out the best of the M100s i'd need an amp but it would be to expensive. And im not a big fan of modding lol i'd most likely damage the headphones. So iv'e heard about the C&C Bh2 and I would like to know how it sounds with EDM for thats what I mainly listen to but more into the hard dance stuff like Hardstyle, hardcore, drum n bass etc (Example Eye D & Dj Hidden Peer 2 Peer Pressure. It's a playlist on youtube good to test the overall bass of headphones). If somebody has the XS could you please try thos playlist and let me know how it sounds. Thnx :)

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #221 of 394
What I meant was that to bring out the best of the M100s i'd need an amp but it would be to expensive. And im not a big fan of modding lol i'd most likely damage the headphones. So iv'e heard about the C&C Bh2 and I would like to know how it sounds with EDM for thats what I mainly listen to but more into the hard dance stuff like Hardstyle, hardcore, drum n bass etc (Example Eye D & Dj Hidden Peer 2 Peer Pressure. It's a playlist on youtube good to test the overall bass of headphones). If somebody has the XS could you please try thos playlist and let me know how it sounds. Thnx
smily_headphones1.gif

That goes for any headphone, even the XS improves with a better amp...  I personally drive both of them straight from an iPhone though (normally).  There are times I'll pull out the amp. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #224 of 394
How would you say the XS compares to the M100?

The XS does still have a slower bass decay rate than the M-100, so despite the fact that the M-100 have more bass, it still remains tighter and more controlled.  The midrange of the XS is beautiful in so many ways, detailed in a generous manner that isn't too aggressive but doesn't slack behind.  The M-100 really doesn't detail as well as the XS does, which is the main differences in the midrange.  Both offer strong clarity as well as great vocal dynamics.  As you'd expect, the soundstage on the M-100 is larger overall.  On the treble side of things, the M-100 offers treble that is slightly more energetic than the XS, but only slightly; it's also less edgy (and slightly more forgiving), again, only slightly.  Personally, if the M-100 had the XS sound signature, but in an over-ear design, it'd be a big winner on Head-Fi (minus the bass heads). 

___

More updates with the M-80 and XS, my roommate can hear the differences like night and day as well.  With a 2-3 minute session she was able to quickly point out that the M-80 were slightly bassier than the XS.  My XS aren't done burning in though, only about 30 hours or so on them...  Probably less. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back