V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 9, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #226 of 394
OK, I just fired up my M80 (been a while) and I take back everything I said above. The M80 is actually just about as bassy as the MOE with better mids and actually pretty similar treble. The M80 definitely has a better sound stage and is also more comfortable than the MOE. I will have to do some more tests but I may just go back to using the M80.

So I will watch the comments from those having both. If the XS manages to be more detailed with as much or slightly more bass and more airy extended treble as the early reviews indicate I might buy a pair.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #227 of 394
  OK, I just fired up my M80 (been a while) and I take back everything I said above. The M80 is actually just about as bassy as the MOE with better mids and actually pretty similar treble. The M80 definitely has a better sound stage and is also more comfortable than the MOE. I will have to do some more tests but I may just go back to using the M80.

So I will watch the comments from those having both. If the XS manages to be more detailed with as much or slightly more bass and more airy extended treble as the early reviews indicate I might buy a pair.

You won't get more bass (quantity) unfortunately... 

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #229 of 394
Yes Momentum on ear. I actually have the M80, MOE, and Mikros 90 right now and am struggling as to which I like most. All three are enjoyable depending on what I am listening to.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #230 of 394

The XS does still have a slower bass decay rate than the M-100, so despite the fact that the M-100 have more bass, it still remains tighter and more controlled.  The midrange of the XS is beautiful in so many ways, detailed in a generous manner that isn't too aggressive but doesn't slack behind.  The M-100 really doesn't detail as well as the XS does, which is the main differences in the midrange.  Both offer strong clarity as well as great vocal dynamics.  As you'd expect, the soundstage on the M-100 is larger overall.  On the treble side of things, the M-100 offers treble that is slightly more energetic than the XS, but only slightly; it's also less edgy (and slightly more forgiving), again, only slightly.  Personally, if the M-100 had the XS sound signature, but in an over-ear design, it'd be a big winner on Head-Fi (minus the bass heads). 

___

More updates with the M-80 and XS, my roommate can hear the differences like night and day as well.  With a 2-3 minute session she was able to quickly point out that the M-80 were slightly bassier than the XS.  My XS aren't done burning in though, only about 30 hours or so on them...  Probably less. 

i agree with most said above

the bass on the m100 also has more emphasis on the subbass making it less linear compare to the xs (i find their somewhat linear in the bass with a slight bump in the midbass)

except 2 things

midrange on the xs and the m100 are both great in their own ways

the midrange on the xs is clear, but  absolute lush and natural and gives the entire sound a very smooth silky vocals

the m100s have a very clear midrange, oddly clear i find but abeit laid back compare the bass and treble, nothing hiding in the vocal regions here

i actually find the treble on the m100s trumps the xs quite a bit, the treble is much more sparkly on the m100s> xs. i tried eqing the xs today with my itouchs treble boost and a/bin with and without the treble boost

both have no harshness in their treble but i find the xs rolls off a bit too quick its still articulate but a bit laid back for my taste, i like a bit more energetic treble i guess

i want more treble extension still on the xs to achieve that m100 sparkliness (but that might make them less natural sounding, as it seems with the treble boost, and even tried to offset the effect on the midrange by bumping the volume, but the midrange lost its lushness, still clear) <-- that was a good hour well wasted

the soundstage on the m100 is definitely wider compare the intimate sound on the xs but its a bit unnatural placement of instrument and vocals (the m100s i mean) 

in short they're are but not really comparable 

they are for different music taste and genres really (but are great all rounders anyway)

the m100s i find are geared towards more electronic edm music

the xs are better for pop, slower acoustic music with real instruments

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #232 of 394

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #234 of 394
So my XS finally came in! Here are some quick first impressions, after a couple of hours burn-in, as heard through a PA2V2:

- Great packaging

- Small and compact, pictures don't do justice

- Very sturdy feel. These aren't breaking anytime soon.

- Heavy for their size but only when held in hand.

- Insanely comfortable, you almost forget they're there.

- Clamping is quite light. Sudden head movements will make them move, but won't fall.

- Sound doesn't change if pushed against the ear, so a harder clamp wouldn't affect the sound, just comfort and isolation.

- Cable is sturdy and somewhat thick, but is not too long, inobtrusive and very VERY light. Quality stuff.

- Bass is very present, it's definitely there. Don't fell like I'm missing out anything. In fact, it can be ever so slightly overpresent for certain styles.

- Mids are lush and beautiful. Not forward but not recessed. They're there to support the bass, and don't call any attention to themselves. Perfect.

- Highs are inobtrusive and nicely linear. Sibilance is practically non-existent. I do however miss their extension. I feel like I'm missing out on some of the cymbals and vocal breathyness.

- Soundstage and depth is a bit smaller and more compact, but still more than most other on-ears.

- The loudest I'm comfortable listening at on my PA2V2, is also the maximum that would output from an iPod. They're easily driven, but not the loudest, especially given the non-forward response.

- Isolation is mediocre. Many on-ears have better isolation out there but this is just a matter of clamping force. I prefer the comfort over the extra couple of dB isolation I would get otherwise. It's perfectly fine for anything but the loudest of environments. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

- They can go loud and handle it. You'll go deaf before these distort, but you will need an amp to do that.

These are definitely darker headphones for my taste. I love me my highs and the XS unfortunately don't deliver. The bass can be a bit too much at times, but seriously I'm talking about a dB here. I'm a recovering basshead and wouldn't really say these are bass heavy, but bass is still the driving factor here. Anything more would be overkill. Especially given how the rest of the spectrum is more laid-back. If the mids support the bass, then the treble is "call me when you need me", and then takes care of business wonderfully. They are also accurate enough that one would do well with better mp3s or lossless tracks.

Perfect for: Modern electronic production. Especially DnB. The more forward high end on these tracks come out beautifully on these and the bass goes deep while creating a great foundation for the rest. Turn it up a bit more and you can almost get the head vibrating effect. Hip Hop would also sound great through these.

Not for: Acoustic music. The bass muddy's up the low end and lack the sparkle to define the high end. However the soundstage will still be there, reverbs will come out well and still have depth.

I am still not sure what I'll do with them. They're not what I expected and was pretty sure I would return them due to simply not being my prefered sound signature. However I'm slowly changing my mind, based simply on their comfort, compactness and even looks. I'll give them some more time. :wink:

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #235 of 394
It's annoying how people are comparing the XS to the M100, they're totally different in

-portability
-sound
-type
-how they are made

Sound - the sound of the M100 is the M80 and the LP2 combined. 80 + 2(0)=100 [m100]
M100 darkish, clean and bassy, half mids, good highs.

XS - Highs are better on the XS thanks to the fact that the XS is almost the M80 but the XS is so much better than the M80. Mids are clear, and the whole sound is clearer than the M100 due to the fact XS is an on ear, I have the lp2, m100, XS and the m100 sounds much darker than the XS. I also use a program which needs impedance and sensitivity to function properly, meaning the cans get a fair go.

Get a good seal on the XS and they have plenty of bass. M100 wins at isolation.
There's probably more to list but:
Do eggs????

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #236 of 394
It's annoying how people are comparing the XS to the M100, they're totally different in

-portability
-sound
-type
-how they are made

Sound - the sound of the M100 is the M80 and the LP2 combined. 80 + 2(0)=100 [m100]
M100 darkish, clean and bassy, half mids, good highs.

XS - Highs are better on the XS thanks to the fact that the XS is almost the M80 but the XS is so much better than the M80. Mids are clear, and the whole sound is clearer than the M100 due to the fact XS is an on ear, I have the lp2, m100, XS and the m100 sounds much darker than the XS. I also use a program which needs impedance and sensitivity to function properly, meaning the cans get a fair go.

Get a good seal on the XS and they have plenty of bass. M100 wins at isolation.
There's probably more to list but:
Do eggs????

Why is it annoying to compare them? A lot of people have experience with one, but not the other, or no experience with any V-MODA headphone at all. If you search the threads here you'll find plenty of posts comparing headphones of all makes and models including open vs. closed, IEM vs. over ear, over ear vs. on ear, portable vs. not portable, planar magnetic vs. dymanic, balanced vs. unbalanced, etc.

The big attraction of V-MODA is style and build quality and since all of their headphones share this, it really boils down to the 4 factors you mentioned above. Some people like the M-80 sound better than the M-100, or vice "verza," and they're curious where the XS falls on that chart. Comparing the M-100 to the XS is a perfectly logical thing to do.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #237 of 394
  Why is it annoying to compare them? A lot of people have experience with one, but not the other, or no experience with any V-MODA headphone at all. If you search the threads here you'll find plenty of posts comparing headphones of all makes and models including open vs. closed, IEM vs. over ear, over ear vs. on ear, portable vs. not portable, planar magnetic vs. dymanic, balanced vs. unbalanced, etc.

The big attraction of V-MODA is style and build quality and since all of their headphones share this, it really boils down to the 4 factors you mentioned above. Some people like the M-80 sound better than the M-100, or vice "verza," and they're curious where the XS falls on that chart. Comparing the M-100 to the XS is a perfectly logical thing to do.

I own the LP and yes they are pretty and built like a tank.  However, they sound like crap.  Appealing to specific areas of the market only is marketing at its finest.  Look what beats has done.  If you wish to know if a headphone is suited for you, take some music that you listen to and audition them.  Should include acoustic and vocal.  Best wishes and enjoy!

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #238 of 394

I own the LP and yes they are pretty and built like a tank.  However, they sound like crap.  Appealing to specific areas of the market only is marketing at its finest.  Look what beats has done.  If you wish to know if a headphone is suited for you, take some music that you listen to and audition them.  Should include acoustic and vocal.  Best wishes and enjoy!

I don't understand why you quoted me for your post. The LP is nowhere near the same class as the M-80, M-100 or XS. The M-80 was the first V-MODA product to get critical praise on Head-Fi as an audiophile headphone. If you read joker's portable headphone shoot out you'll see that the M-80 is near the top of his list in 6th place next to the likes of the Bower's & Wilkins P5, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and ATH-ES10, Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, and Beyerdynamic DT1350. Keep in mind the list is about portable headphones, a demographic to which I belong.

V-MODA did almost zero marketing at the time the M-80 was released unless you count the "True Blood" TV show tie-in on the V-80 model which allowed them to be auditioned at HBO stores if you could find one. Also, I have auditioned tons of headphones (Beyers, Senns, Mad Dogs, HiFiMan, Monster, Beats, Sony, etc.) and V-MODA keeps reeling me back in.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #239 of 394

i agree and thats why i will be uploading my sound quality comparison on the xs and the m100s in the next few days

but until then here is a quick PHYSICAL comparison of xs and m100s on my youtube channel! check it out and be sure to let me know in the comments anything i can improve on (theres a lot probably)

i have a separate video solely focusing on the m100s on my channel as well ( i don't want to flood the xs thread with that) but be sure to check em out!

heres the xs review

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #240 of 394
  I don't understand why you quoted me for your post. The LP is nowhere near the same class as the M-80, M-100 or XS. The M-80 was the first V-MODA product to get critical praise on Head-Fi as an audiophile headphone. If you read joker's portable headphone shoot out you'll see that the M-80 is near the top of his list in 6th place next to the likes of the Bower's & Wilkins P5, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and ATH-ES10, Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, and Beyerdynamic DT1350. Keep in mind the list is about portable headphones, a demographic to which I belong.

Also, we are proud that after a few years of launching our first "M-Class" series product that it eventually became the #1 on-ear on Head-Fi based on user ratings. It was our first product targeted for audiophile and "modern audiophile" appeal and I feel we achieved our goals. We always try to set the bar higher!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/on-ear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back