V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #31 of 1,343
Quote:
Well, if you put it that way of course it'll be cheaper. For example the VERZA is cheaper than one month mortgage for me, or it's cheaper than 6 months of my phone bill and will probably give me more satisfaction. But if I was to buy it, it'll just be a $600 amp I rubber band to my device (since I don't have an iPhone or Galaxy S3 and my Lyr is set to arrive soon) and that's something I already have.

I do hope you consider making more cases for different device. I would love a case for my iPod Touch 4, that'll be a combo I can enjoy for years and I wouldn't mind paying the asking price too.

Please don't take this as me being negative, is just a constructive criticism.  I know you said something about the iPod classic so I'm eagerly waiting for more details on that.

-

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #32 of 1,343
Quote:
So according to the advertisement, the VERZA has 2xDACs (Burr Brown & AKM) whilst to the best of my knowledge the Go-DAP X has only 1 (AKM). It's got to have a different circuit board to be able to do such a thing. The power output is also almost double of the X as you mentioned.

Yup. It's definitely different, though there's a good chance it might be an X highly-modified for dual source input (hence the many-layered PCB board).

Anyways, I applaud V-Moda's continuing venture into this territory; I would've never guessed that they'd make a product like this --- the VAMP was already a bit of a surprise. V-Moda's CFO definitely had a point in advising against doing the VERZA, as it basically goes completely away from V-Moda's core brand strategy, but hey, it's a win for us people, as we get a nice, stylish device that will likely perform quite well.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #33 of 1,343
Quote:
Yup. It's definitely different, though there's a good chance it might be an X highly-modified for dual source input (hence the many-layered PCB board).

Anyways, I applaud V-Moda's continuing venture into this territory; I would've never guessed that they'd make a product like this --- the VAMP was already a bit of a surprise. V-Moda's CFO definitely had a point in advising against doing the VERZA, as it basically goes completely away from V-Moda's core brand strategy, but hey, it's a win for us people, as we get a nice, stylish device that will likely perform quite well.

Correct. I've just updated my previous post to clarify on the PCB layers.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #34 of 1,343
Quote:

So according to the advertisement, the VERZA has :-

- 2xDACs (Burr Brown & AKM) whilst to the best of my knowledge the Go-DAP X has only 1 (AKM). It's got to have a different circuit board to be able to do such a thing.
- The power output is also almost double of the X as you mentioned
- 6 layer PCB whereas the Go-DAP X has less. The number of layers the X has is the speculative part. If memory serves me correctly, it's 2 but I need to double-check on that.

Yeah, its an interesting product. We seem to be getting closer to the Holy Grails of DAPs and DAC/AMPs.

Still waiting on that `perfect` product. :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #35 of 1,343
Quote:

So according to the advertisement, the VERZA has :-

- 2xDACs (Burr Brown & AKM) whilst to the best of my knowledge the Go-DAP X has only 1 (AKM). It's got to have a different circuit board to be able to do such a thing.
- The power output is also almost double of the X as you mentioned
- 6 layer PCB whereas the Go-DAP X has less. The number of layers the X has is the speculative part. If memory serves me correctly, it's 2 but I need to double-check on that.

I'm a little confusing with their spec. Why put 2 different DAC chips in? Can we be able to switch between those DAC chips or iDevice and USB channels will have their own dedicate chip? If that true, it mean that we will get slightly different sound sign between listen via iDevice and USB channel.

I think higher power output is ok but it seem to add more distortion to it (Go-Dap X is about <0.03 while Verza is <0.05).

6 layer PCB might be the best feature for me. On my Go-Dap X, I got heavy interference every time I turn on wireless on my ipod touch or put it next to my phone.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 1,343
What are looking at in terms of a shipping date? Amazon says 1-3 weeks, but if VMODA.com can ship immediately or almost immediately, I'll order from there.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #38 of 1,343
I have heard about their being an issue with the European S3's (i.e mine in the UK), and the digital audio output NOT WORKING on the latest Jelly Bean update.
Its a fault that has not yet been corrected.

Can anyone confirm this as not being true?

I first became aware of the issue when researching a car dock, that used a digital line out to connect to an AUX line in of a car, and the product failed to work after the updates to Jelly Bean.

I would love this to not be true, but if it is, until Samsung/Google release an update, it simply will not work on UK devices.

Link:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/635949-ibolt-dock-doesnt-work-since-jellybean.html

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #39 of 1,343
Quote:
I have heard about their being an issue with the European S3's (i.e mine in the UK), and the digital audio output NOT WORKING on the latest Jelly Bean update.
Its a fault that has not yet been corrected.

Can anyone confirm this as not being true?

I first became aware of the issue when researching a car dock, that used a digital line out to connect to an AUX line in of a car, and the product failed to work after the updates to Jelly Bean.

I would love this to not be true, but if it is, until Samsung/Google release an update, it simply will not work on UK devices.

Link:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/635949-ibolt-dock-doesnt-work-since-jellybean.html

Sounds like an easy fix.  Don't see Samsung ignoring this when they have the next Galaxy right on deck.  Should be a non-issue.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #40 of 1,343
Quote:

That is the beauty of VAMP VERZA, it is a desktop amp, portable amp AND a phone amplifier. It crams both  USB Audio AND iOS compatibility into one device. And with the input from this forum, we will develop new VERZADOCK cases so you don't need a "rubber band".  From now own we can call it more appropriately in rock n roll terms a "band aid".

2 years = 730 days.

How much does a Starbucks coffee cost?  VAMP VERZA is less than a coffee for two years, yet I guarantee it'll give you way more satisfaction and vanity in the process to hold such a unique metal device.  Plus, with it's universal USB Audio compatibility you can use it for a lifetime.

In fact, over time it is cheap.  I compare it to in shoes what I have called CPW or cost per wear. If you can use it for business or run a lot with it - it is worth it!

-V

You see, the problem with this is that it definitely won't be future proof (for me). Who could resist the possible products V-Moda could produce over two years? 
size]

upgrade-itis it is :)
Quote:
Yeah, its an interesting product. We seem to be getting closer to the Holy Grails of DAPs and DAC/AMPs.

Still waiting on that `perfect` product. :)

When style meets perfect sound, that'll be my holy grail.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #41 of 1,343
Been waiting to see this for a while now, and it's finally here.
...Unfortunately, even though it's cheaper than a daily coffee if you're counting it for 2 years, I think the price is too high for my tastes. I expected the amp/dac price tag, but the price of the Metallo is something else.
Not to say I don't support your product as I'd love to hear it sometime, and maybe it'll change my opinion. 
Looking forward to someday see this in person!

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #42 of 1,343
Quote:
Sounds like an easy fix.  Don't see Samsung ignoring this when they have the next Galaxy right on deck.  Should be a non-issue.

It has been ignored. The latest update didn't fix it either.
Digital Audio Output has apparently been out now since Jelly Bean.

I'm wondering if the Vamp Verza would work from UK S3's running on Jelly Bean before I consider it.
It wouldn't be a fault with V-Moda, if it doesn't. It would be a fault with Samsung/Google.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #43 of 1,343
I can't decide between Centrance M8 or Verza (power vs. portability).  Centrance M8 is almost overkill, but Versa is underpowered for the price.  However, fantastic concept with Metallo.  Also, no lightining adapter for $598?  It should at least be included with the Iphone 5 Metallo and I don't even see it as an optional product yet.  It is too important of an accessory to not offer at launch.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 1,343
You see, the problem with this is that it definitely won't be future proof (for me). Who could resist the possible products V-Moda could produce over two years? 
size]

upgrade-itis it is :)
When style meets perfect sound, that'll be my holy grail.

True but how often are you going to update or buy a new phone/device? I do agree with you but not everything will stay same, kinda obvious. But one thing is they put it out there one of the few or the only should i say that does this for the most popular mobile devices for us consumers. I give them props, they do make a nice finish to it. Altho 100$ case just to slip the counter part in is a bit high for my sake. Not that rich, but I will buy if I make more money. I love how it skips the apple adapter for line out. And hopefully we can see benchmarks between the vmoda vamps and towards fiio products or other popular amps and dacs.

I would like to see additonal future plans how they will modify next gen material for better sound quality too.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #45 of 1,343
Quote:
I'm a little confusing with their spec. Why put 2 different DAC chips in? Can we be able to switch between those DAC chips or iDevice and USB channels will have their own dedicate chip? If that true, it mean that we will get slightly different sound sign between listen via iDevice and USB channel.

I think higher power output is ok but it seem to add more distortion to it (Go-Dap X is about <0.03 while Verza is <0.05).

6 layer PCB might be the best feature for me. On my Go-Dap X, I got heavy interference every time I turn on wireless on my ipod touch or put it next to my phone.

My assumption is that it's simply easier to design two separate signal paths for iOS and USB/Android and then sandwich it onto a single thick PCB. If you notice, the power output is different for iOS and USB mode, meaning that they take different output routes as well, so these two circuits are separate from input to output. So, yes, it's likely there will be a slightly different sound signature between iOS and USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back