V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #4,456 of 23,366
Quote:
Reviews are sure to generate interest in the headphones, especially if favorable. However, it's never been said that additional changes after the PPU are not possible. If many reviewers who receive the PPU note complaints or tweaks that they desire, such changes might well make it into the end product. Perhaps nothing will change and the PPU perfectly achieves what it set out to. But there's always that chance.

Because of that, I personally am waiting for the final product to come out in retail form. Of course buyers of the prototype will enjoy the first mover advantage of being the first people to listen to the headphones and to possess them, but I'll be happy enough on the sidelines listening to those peoples' impressions.   

This is a legitimate concern and I think that  waiting for mass production is a smart decision for many.

In my estimation, if any changes are made before wide availability they're likely to be minor.  For me, I've gone to nitpick extremes building an ideal rig.  I eventually came to the realization that seeking "perfection" just isn't integral to my enjoyment of music (the absolute reason I've taken an interest in personal audio) and was sometimes even inhibiting it as I searched for better gear.  I've been descending the mountain for a while and really couldn't be happier.  Add to that the long, meticulous development cycle that's been documented here and elsewhere and my confidence in the PPU is high.

If I enjoy the PPU then, in all likelihood, I'll enjoy the mass-produced product.  If I don't then I won't.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #4,457 of 23,366
Quote:

Curly- Where do you get the onions to make such a statement? You've only been on this thread for 1 week 6 days.  Your initial postings were the same ole repetitive pedestrian newbie comments and questions we've heard before with a HEAPING side of unprecedented ass kissing to Val. I'm confident his cheeks are still a bit pruney even today from that schmoozing.  And now you act like you're the official ambassador to V-Moda and this thread.   Some viewers here are intimidated by posting or just content to sit back and read quietly about it's development.  Accusing those who only recently started posting of vulturing in to swipe the M-100's from our clutches is repulsive and only outcasts those on the fence about deciding to contribute here.  Your judgemental rhetoric towards the newcomers is pointless anyhow as there will be a code that all Head-Fi and Facebook community will use on their site to order, regardless of their post count or contribution.  But out of curiousity, do you feel you've 'earned the right'?

You really love starting fights don't you? He clarified what he meant in a later post - don't try making a mountain out of a molehill again, please.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #4,458 of 23,366
Quote:

M-100 = over-ear
M-80 = on-ear

Portability will be better with the M-80.

Not necessarily true...

M-100 = Folding
M- 80 = Non-Folding

If I remember correctly, because the M-100's fold its case is smaller than the M-80's.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4,460 of 23,366
Quote:
Yes, but in the case of the headphones themselves, the M-80's can be worn around your neck, then M-100's probably won't be so easy to do that with.

That's speculation on your part, I would say it will likely end up being more of a personal preference than hard and fast rule.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #4,462 of 23,366
Quote:

Ok, I've had enough.. I will make my first post even though I have nothing USEFUL to add at this time.

The reality is that 99% of posts on this thread (with the exception of Val's posts) are complete and utter crap. I suspect that like myself, a lot of the lurkers, have nothing useful to add and therefore know that they should keep quiet. I've been checking this thread every day for many weeks to see if Val has any updates. Every time, I have to waste my time scrolling through tens of useless and completely speculative posts that contribute absolutely nothing. 

I just want to take a minute to thank all the lurkers that have kept to the sidelines and waited for Val's updates without adding more nonsense to the thread. Also, I would like to apologize to those same readers for my one indiscretion. I will not post again until I have something USEFUL to add. Thank you.

Edit: P.S. Shockingly, I do enjoy writing and reviewing products. The difference is that I wait for those products to be released before I "review" them.

This is a thread for discussion as much as it is updates from Val and many people have contributed to this. Not every post is interesting, but that's just like any other discussion. For the most part it's quite enjoyable and there are many solutions to problems, in fact the first question I asked got answered in two posts.

Lurking is great, and finding out information is what we're all here for, it's awful when people buy things without doing research. However, this thread is more than just a stream of updates from Val.

The last point in my post was to discuss the problem and dangers of basing interest on post count and I tried to do this as objectively as I could. I am sorry if it was coarse and I offended you and any other lurkers.

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by as "polished" as the eventual retail version. I have been reading Val's posts and was not doubting that V-Moda was putting attention and care into the sound quality of the prototypes, my concern was the possible resulting changes from prototype reviews.

Reviews are sure to generate interest in the headphones, especially if favorable. However, it's never been said that additional changes after the PPU are not possible. If many reviewers who receive the PPU note complaints or tweaks that they desire, such changes might well make it into the end product. Perhaps nothing will change and the PPU perfectly achieves what it set out to. But there's always that chance.

Because of that, I personally am waiting for the final product to come out in retail form. Of course buyers of the prototype will enjoy the first mover advantage of being the first people to listen to the headphones and to possess them, but I'll be happy enough on the sidelines listening to those peoples' impressions.   

It's quite a valid concern,  I think there are 3 changes that could occur:

Features - Cables, boxing, look/feel and anything else that's not contributing to the sound directly. This is probably the most likely to change, however, these are unlikely to be deal breakers and every new item will likely be on the V-Moda store. Anything that severely compromises the product will likely fall under durability changes.

Durability - Anything that causes failure of the product would invoke our warranty, which comes with the product, all PPUs being covered. I'll be interested to see if anybody goes in depth with the T&Cs of the PPU warranty to see if there are any differences with the standard issue ones.

Sound Signature - Val's had this locked in since:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/390#post_8181964

Any changes would probably be in the V-Moda M-1 thousand.

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #4,463 of 23,366
Well said largemouth bass. I've been following his thread quietly since March or April way back on page 45 (I still have it bookmarked on that page too) and I swear I've never seen Curly up until the last few pages. I'm actually not an audiophile or anything (so I hesitated to contribute fearing to embarrass myself among established audiphiles such as yourself), and it was only back in March did I realize I haven't been hearing all the sound in my music with my current headphones. After a few Google searches I managed to stumble upon Innerfidelity's website and read the review of his V-Moda Crossfade M-80s/V-80s. Satisfied and confident that those were the headphones I wanted I ordered a pair off Amazon and while waiting for the headphones to ship I decided to look through reviews from other sources. That's when I stumbled upon head-fi's thread of the m80 reviews. I scrolled through the comments and became even more confident about my purchase. I also noticed comments hinting about a larger version of the m-80s, the m-100s, and my interest was piqued. Since this thread was so small back then a simple google search didn't feature it for the first few pages. That's when i notice Val, the CEO, actually posting his thanks on the M-80 review page. I looked through his profile and voila I discovered a thread dedicated completely to the m-100s, which haven't even been released. After I finally received my M-80s I was blown away by the sound and I was surprised that the M-100s were rumored to be even better sounding. Since the M-80s were the best sounding pair of cans I've heard up til that point (and the most expensive pair I've purchased), I became really excited for the M-100's release and was thankful I even managed to stumble upon this thread and follow its production. And before anyone accuses me of vulturing, I can't get my hands on a PPU anyway since I'm headed on vacation in a few days and I rather the deliveryman not drop a pair of $300 cans on my front porch. Anyway, I'd rather someone with more listening experience than I have to get a pair of the PPUs first and give their impressions. Those reviews are what got me into the M-80s in the first place and I really want to see if the M-100s are what I really want. I really hope the ones who've been contributing since I've been on this thread get a pair of the PPUs. It's been really fun reading what everyone's posted so far (especially when you guys were guessing the secret features Val mentioned, some of them made me laugh out loud literally). 

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #4,465 of 23,366
C'mon guys (new and old), everyone's blowing this PPU release thing way out of proportion. People worried about whether they're 'worthy' or not? People questioning the validation of their own audiophile status? Seriously, this stuff's ridiculous.

No one should be worried whether or not they are more or less 'entitled' to a pair of M-100's. Yes, the supply is limited, and the demand is high, but that's what's keeping this thread rolling.

TO NEW HEAD-FIERS: Welcome, sorry about your wallet, yapyapyap. I know you're curious about the M-100, but please just browse this thread for a little while; more likely than not, your questions will be answered.

EVERYONE ELSE: Keep on campin' the thread and just chill out.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #4,466 of 23,366
I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit. I don't think anyone is entitled to a pair or worthy. I'm not fussed if I get a pair or not. It would be nice but if I don't it'll be good to read some reviews before getting them.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4,467 of 23,366
Sound Signature - Val's had this locked in since:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/390#post_8181964

Any changes would probably be in the V-Moda M-1 thousand.

Hmm...ok possibly then my definition of "Sound Signature" is different from yours then cos IMHO the May M-100 prototype was quite different from the June M-100 prototype. If I weren't told they were M-100's I would have thought they were different headphone models altogether. So by my definition, the signature wasn't locked back in Feb.

I do hope that the final or PPU M-100 is locked close to the June's sound signature as it was a "Wow!" type impact as opposed to just a "It's nice" kinda impact. Both myself & a partner of business to V-Moda was talking about this a week back.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #4,468 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm...ok possibly then my definition of "Sound Signature" is different from yours then cos IMHO the May M-100 prototype was quite different from the June M-100 prototype. If I weren't told they were M-100's I would have thought they were different headphone models altogether. So by my definition, the signature wasn't locked back in Feb.
I do hope that the final or PPU M-100 is locked close to the June's sound signature as it was a "Wow!" type impact as opposed to just a "It's nice" kinda impact. Both myself & a partner of business to V-Moda was talking about this a week back.

From your brief listen- M-100 or D600?

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4,469 of 23,366
I think Val should just PM those he wants to sell the pre production too and not worry about the rest! 

.I KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Serioulsy.  I'm jus tkidding.  I hope to get a pair myself, but if I miss out then I will have to wait for the mass production units to get here. .

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #4,470 of 23,366
Quote:

So it's changed since? Verryy interesting, I must have missed it. I was under the impression that it was locked since that post. Or maybe I'm just conflating "sound curve" and "sound signature". Either way, thanks for letting us it was 'Wow!' at some stage! 

Were the prototypes fully featured? With the locking hinges etc.? 

(I hope we're not breaching any NDAs here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back