V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4,441 of 23,366
Ok, I've had enough.. I will make my first post even though I have nothing USEFUL to add at this time.

The reality is that 99% of posts on this thread (with the exception of Val's posts) are complete and utter crap.

Edit: P.S. Shockingly, I do enjoy writing and reviewing products. The difference is that I wait for those products to be released before I "review" them.

That is a bit exaggerating. There is quite a few members in this thread have been sharing their impressions on the headphone as well as providing ideas to Val.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #4,442 of 23,366
Quote:

Ok, I've had enough.. I will make my first post even though I have nothing USEFUL to add at this time.

The reality is that 99% of posts on this thread (with the exception of Val's posts) are complete and utter crap. I suspect that like myself, a lot of the lurkers, have nothing useful to add and therefore know that they should keep quiet. I've been checking this thread every day for many weeks to see if Val has any updates. Every time, I have to waste my time scrolling through tens of useless and completely speculative posts that contribute absolutely nothing. 

I just want to take a minute to thank all the lurkers that have kept to the sidelines and waited for Val's updates without adding more nonsense to the thread. Also, I would like to apologize to those same readers for my one indiscretion. I will not post again until I have something USEFUL to add. Thank you.

No, thank YOU for stepping forward and contributing your opinion.  To be helpful, you always have the option to view any member's posts (including Val's) exclusively by clicking on their profile and selecting the "all posts" option.  Here's hoping that you stick around, post again, and share your impressions of the M-100 with us when you receive them.

Welcome to Head-Fi...
...and established Head-Fiers know the rest. :wink:

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #4,443 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone know whether or not a Fiio E11 would be able to sufficiently amp these headphones? I know there is the VAMP but that is way out of my price range (I'm also thinking the Iphone 5 may be released soon and I'm up for an upgrade!). I'm willing to spend the extra money to get the e17 but if I can save some money with the e11 that would be awesome.

Since these will be able to be driven well enough without an amp, I would believe that a fiio e11 would be a sufficient amp for them.  I was intending to do this myself once I could afford both the amp and headphones.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4,444 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone know whether or not a Fiio E11 would be able to sufficiently amp these headphones? I know there is the VAMP but that is way out of my price range (I'm also thinking the Iphone 5 may be released soon and I'm up for an upgrade!). I'm willing to spend the extra money to get the e17 but if I can save some money with the e11 that would be awesome.

While I can't speak specifically to how well the E11 should power the M-100 (which really should provide plenty of power), I have used the E11 with many headphones and they are extremely powerful for their size.  Also, the E17 would not necessarily provide you with more power or even improved sound quality.  The added cost relates to DAC and other features, not a markedly superior amp.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4,445 of 23,366
Quote:

e11 has a better amp anyway so you're in luck! these are designed to be for the low-mid ranged consumer after all. If you want a DAC though, e17 is the way to go.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #4,446 of 23,366
Quote:

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Unfortunately, I'm a homebody in my listening habits and have never purchased a portable amplifier.  However, the Fiio E17 is highly recommended by many (read Head-Fi reviews here) and would likely be suggested by those with first-hand experience.  However, the E11 (reviews here) has also been well received.  Fiios in general are regarded as being great bang-for-the-buck products.

The M-100 will be an efficient, low-impedance can, so perhaps you could get the headphone first and see what you think directly from your source.  If your first choice is the VAMP you shouldn't have any problems enjoying the 'phones a la carte while saving up for it.

...boy we're a helpful lot!  If anyone else has a question, step right up! 
popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #4,453 of 23,366
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I stumbled onto head-fi a few months ago after searching for V-moda headphones (my original crossfades were lost/stolen), saw this thread and have been following it and others since, haven't posted much as I'm still taking it all in, and am a novice in all this stuff. But I can't wait for these to come out, I know that VMODA puts 110% into every product, and that's rare to find in a company these days. I know that they aren't as bass heavy as other headphones I've listened to, but I've been looking for a different music experience and I know that VMODA can deliver. I encourage anyone that stumbles onto this thread or others to become part of this community as I have yet to find another like it.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4,454 of 23,366
Quote:

That's where you are wrong, Val explained that the prototypes might even sound better than retail products in the sense the QC is much tighter on the PPUs. EVERY PPU is checked manually frequency response wise to be within "2dB" at specific points on the curve compared to the "golden" sample and if the units doesn't pass it gets probably a new driver or tweaked or whatever to pass the test. :p That's what I call quality control!

Would be nice to know what kind of quality control retail products will have though lol. Would suck to be the unlucky guy who gets an unusually poor sample with say a 4dB peak in the upper-mids at say 3.5kHz which is a sensitive area to my ears and might end up slightly annoying to me. But I think Val said the expected yield for final products was more in the ~95% or so level, meaning only some 5% of the units produced may have greater variety than 2-3dB at the specific points in the frequency response which sounds quite assuring.

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by as "polished" as the eventual retail version. I have been reading Val's posts and was not doubting that V-Moda was putting attention and care into the sound quality of the prototypes, my concern was the possible resulting changes from prototype reviews.

Reviews are sure to generate interest in the headphones, especially if favorable. However, it's never been said that additional changes after the PPU are not possible. If many reviewers who receive the PPU note complaints or tweaks that they desire, such changes might well make it into the end product. Perhaps nothing will change and the PPU perfectly achieves what it set out to. But there's always that chance.

Because of that, I personally am waiting for the final product to come out in retail form. Of course buyers of the prototype will enjoy the first mover advantage of being the first people to listen to the headphones and to possess them, but I'll be happy enough on the sidelines listening to those peoples' impressions.   

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #4,455 of 23,366
M-100 Checklist:

• Prepare Paypal with moneys.
  • Prepare listening station with equipment and comparable headphones.
  • Prepare main logo for customized shields.
  • Prepare super awesome extra touch for customized shields.
  • Stay up all night for the next 3 days, waiting for Pre-Orders to open.
  1. Day 1
  2. Day 2
  3. Day 3

Needless to say, this wait is killing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back