V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Mar 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,186 of 2,828
¬¬ while I was thinking they went up to $169 again, I'm going to grab them now, there is a $145 used-like new one but I don't want to risk getting a defective or missing something one, since I couldn't replace it(I'm not in the US)

also m-100 wont be that portable and it will be around $300 so that's a no at least for now.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,187 of 2,828

Well I thought the M100 would actually be plenty portable, what makes you think it'd be less so than the M80?

Quote:
¬¬ while I was thinking they went up to $169 again, I'm going to grab them now, there is a $145 used-like new one but I don't want to risk getting a defective or missing something one, since I couldn't replace it(I'm not in the US)

also m-100 wont be that portable and it will be around $300 so that's a no at least for now.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,188 of 2,828
I do prefer over ears for listening at home and if the amp works better with the M100 and doesn't cost a bomb then I might get both. I do agree there's a slight overlap but most if not everyone here has at least a couple of cans for various kinds of music. 

As it stands, the M80 are more than sufficient for my use in terms of size, sound quality and price so the M100 will have to be really amazing for me to get both.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,189 of 2,828

Quote:
Well I thought the M100 would actually be plenty portable, what makes you think it'd be less so than the M80?

It seems to me(from pictures) that M-100 are bigger, maybe almost double the size of m-80 cups? I'm not entirely sure but that's the impression I get.

of course you might not found that to be less portable, I admit I've used my HD555 as portables and those are fairly big IMO

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,191 of 2,828
Quote:
They've already bumped back up to $169. They may drop again, but probably not very much lower. 

I just jumped in and ordered them at $169 on Amazon. I have had my eyes on these for a while and have been following this thread.  Unfortunately I have not been able to try these out anywhere.  Radio Shack carries them in-store but do not have any available for demo. At this price though I thought it was worth a shot as I have been looking for some good portables. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #1,192 of 2,828

Quote:

I just jumped in and ordered them at $169 on Amazon. I have had my eyes on these for a while and have been following this thread.  Unfortunately I have not been able to try these out anywhere.  Radio Shack carries them in-store but do not have any available for demo. At this price though I thought it was worth a shot as I have been looking for some good portables. 

When you get it I'd be interested in your opinion on use "walking around". I love the sound but am frustrated that I can't hear it very well over the ambient noise around me. If I'm at home and it's perfectly quiet, great...otherwise all that fantastic detail and clarity get drowned out :frowning2: 

I'm hoping that there is more "isolation" with the over the ears M100 than there is with the M80...

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,193 of 2,828

Quote:

When you get it I'd be interested in your opinion on use "walking around". I love the sound but am frustrated that I can't hear it very well over the ambient noise around me. If I'm at home and it's perfectly quiet, great...otherwise all that fantastic detail and clarity get drowned out :frowning2: 

I'm hoping that there is more "isolation" with the over the ears M100 than there is with the M80...

I don't know if this could hep you but have you tried to twist the head band to see if you can achive better isolation? 

you can see what I'm talking about at 5:10 on this video

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,194 of 2,828

Quote:

Hmm.  This concerns me.  I don't think I would be using these much for at home use. Is the consensus here that there is not enough isolation for these to be good for city walking or bus/subway use. If so, maybe I should just cancel my order before they ship. I already have the Grado s80i for home use which I am perfectly happy with. Those are just not (IMO) at all portable and I really want to step up from stock earbuds for my commute and city walking.  (That said, I have occassionally taken the Grados outside for a quick walk at night and I was OK with them notwithstanding the fact that they are completely open.  Of course, when it got really windy that could be a problem. But otherwise I thought they still sounded pretty good, although not as clear as in my apartment.  So, maybe the V-Moda, which appears to be a lot less open than the Grado, won't be an issue for me.)

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,195 of 2,828

Quote:
Hmm.  This concerns me.  I don't think I would be using these much for at home use. Is the consensus here that there is not enough isolation for these to be good for city walking or bus/subway use. If so, maybe I should just cancel my order before they ship. I already have the Grado s80i for home use which I am perfectly happy with. Those are just not (IMO) at all portable and I really want to step up from stock earbuds for my commute and city walking.  (That said, I have occassionally taken the Grados outside for a quick walk at night and I was OK with them notwithstanding the fact that they are completely open.  Of course, when it got really windy that could be a problem. But otherwise I thought they still sounded pretty good, although not as clear as in my apartment.  So, maybe the V-Moda, which appears to be a lot less open than the Grado, won't be an issue for me.)

In regards to isolation, it really depends on you. For me, my main can for the train/bus is my HD25. HOWEVER, I have used the M-80 on trains and buses and have been enjoying them, fully knowing that they're not as isolating as the HD25s but the SQ is so good (it has the soundstage that my HD25 lacks) that I welcome it. The good thing is that the isolation is pretty decent and thankfully the treble is polite so it's not fatiguing when pushed to higher volumes. The M-80 has been my favorite go-to can for being inside, outside, walking around, doing chores, and only sometimes the train. As much as I love my HD25 for trains, I can't say all that about them when it comes to other situations (ie I hardly ever wear them at home because they're not as comfortable as my other cans).

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,196 of 2,828
Guys, I'm in a dilemma over the M80s at the moment.

It's comfortable over the first 1 hour or so but after that my ears feels raw.
I've adjusted the headbands and tried to ignore the discomfort but the longest I can last without taking it off is about 2 hours. And this is with me sitting at home listening to music and watching movies.

My Grado SR80 was terrible at first with the donut cushions so I had to switch to the soft foam ones. That's when it got much better and I can wear it for a really long time. My M50s never had this problem as it's over ears.

I really love the M80 sound but I'm unsure if I should return it and wait for the M100.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,197 of 2,828

Quote:

I've adjusted the headbands and tried to ignore the discomfort but the longest I can last without taking it off is about 2 hours. And this is with me sitting at home listening to music and watching movies.

My Grado SR80 was terrible at first with the donut cushions so I had to switch to the soft foam ones. That's when it got much better and I can wear it for a really long time. My M50s never had this problem as it's over ears.

I really love the M80 sound but I'm unsure if I should return it and wait for the M100.

How long do you have to return it?  I'd recommend using them right up until that cutoff date, they get more comfortable with more use.  They were really uncomfortable for about the first week I used them, but they're getting better now.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #1,198 of 2,828
I ordered them on the 13th Feb, was delivered to my friend in CA on the 19th and I got it on the 23th (in Singapore).
So I've been using since then on a daily basis of 1-3 hours each.
The thing is, my brother is going to NY tonight so if I get him to return, my postage fees will be much lower than if I send it from Singapore.

I really love it but the raw ears are turning me off. And I have an asian face with relatively small ears compared to caucasians (stereotype so I'm sorry if it came off wrong).

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,199 of 2,828

Quote:
I ordered them on the 13th Feb, was delivered to my friend in CA on the 19th and I got it on the 23th (in Singapore).
So I've been using since then on a daily basis of 1-3 hours each.
The thing is, my brother is going to NY tonight so if I get him to return, my postage fees will be much lower than if I send it from Singapore.

I really love it but the raw ears are turning me off. And I have an asian face with relatively small ears compared to caucasians (stereotype so I'm sorry if it came off wrong).

It's a hard choice.  It depends on whether you want to spend the extra $100 on the M-100 and don't mind it being a bit bigger.  They do get more comfortable over time but they'll never be as comfortable as a good over-ear one.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,200 of 2,828

Quote:

Same for me, then they adjusted. When I say give them 30 hours on you head before deciding about comfort, I'm 100% serious with no exaggeration. Just when they hurt take them off, put them on later. 30 hours total, not straight.
Tip, if they are too tight, a quick fix is to do a few flat headband bends, that expedites the process since time is of the essence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back