V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #601 of 1,668
  My Rose Gold pair should arrive Thursday...excited to hear it and review

Mine will be arriving on Friday, UPS finally updated the tracking info with an estimated delivery day.  I'm going to primarily use mine in wireless mode but I too plan on offering my opinions.  The only Apple device I have is an iPad Air 2 but I plan on using the headphones wireless with that, wired and wireless with my phone (Moto Z Force), and wireless with my Surface Pro 4.  Hopefully that will be enough, when added with other opinions, to give people more insight (especially those worried about a lack of AAC).

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #604 of 1,668
I will be reviewing them and using my cellphone and an Opus #2 as the source. I will try to compare them to the Momentum 2. The Momentum 2 because that is the only other wired/Bluetooth I have. I may mention both Meze products as well as the HD650

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #605 of 1,668
Alright fellas, here are my impressions compared to the CFW1 and just in general (wireless over iPhone 6s Plus).

CFW1 vs. CFW2 (or CF2W)

BUILD/FIT:  
- CFW1 buttons were a bit "squishy" and the tactile feedback was about average.  The CFW2 has better feedback, so you can actually tell when you pressed a button.  The L/R volume buttons are also slightly raised from the MF button, you can feel your way around better.
- Earpads are definitely improved.  They are a mid-density memory foam that contours around the ears much better.  The seal is good with decent noise isolation.  The openings are a bit bigger, so if you have average sized ears, you'll be fine.
- Headband is a bit wider and is angled a bit where the adjustment sliders are.  There is definitely less pressure on the head vs. the CFW1.
- The CFW1 actually fits better for the gym (since it's tighter, it's more secure), but the CFW2 still functions well and remains secure enough for all my exercises, even those that require bending over.

SOUND:
- HIGHS:  I'm assuming it's streaming over SBC, but the highs are definitely improved over the CFW1 with more detail and an overall cleaner presentation.  It's quite impressive if over SBC, as it's not sibilant or harsh.  I originally feared it would be, but it actually sounds really good.
- MIDS:  Much improved.  Vocals are better defined without being affected by the notorious mid-bass bleed.  Vocals sound clear and distinct.
- LOWS:  While the bass on the CFW1 was a bit bloated and creeps into the mid-range, the CFW2 has a nice tightly controlled bass, yet it still rumbles with authority.  I'm a bass-head to a degree and this satisfies me.  I would say the quantity of bass is about the same, but it's much more controlled.
- HISS:  Because the AMP is powerful, there is still a bit of a hiss, however, IMO, it's less than the CFW1.  For example, I listen to the CFW1 at 2-3 clicks from 0 volume, but the CFW2 I'm at 3-4 clicks.  This suggests the AMP is toned down a bit in order to reduce the overall noise floor.

BLUETOOTH:
- Very surprised it sounded as good as it did over, assumably, SBC.  I think it sounds BETTER than the CFW1 using the same source and playing the same songs.  Range was very good for a Class 2 BT device and is as advertised.  I'd be interested in knowing what Qualcomm chip they are using, as it may actually support AAC (many of them do).

OVERALL:  
- Sounds more refined and less of a "fun" headphone.  It's still on the warm side, but to a lesser degree.  Sounds clean & clear like the B&O H7, but has some of the richness & warmth of the B&W P7W.  I'd say it falls somewhere between those 2 sound signatures.  The CFW1 is still a good sounding headphone and more "club-like", so you can turn it up loud without as much fatigue.  At loud volumes (which I don't do, but just did for testing), the CFW2 can get a bit fatiguing due to the increased clarity, but I still would'd say it's piercing, sharp, or harsh.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #606 of 1,668
  Alright fellas, here are my impressions compared to the CFW1 and just in general (wireless over iPhone 6s Plus).

CFW1 vs. CFW2 (or CF2W)

BUILD/FIT:  
- CFW1 buttons were a bit "squishy" and the tactile feedback was about average.  The CFW2 has better feedback, so you can actually tell when you pressed a button.  The L/R volume buttons are also slightly raised from the MF button, you can feel your way around better.
- Earpads are definitely improved.  They are a mid-density memory foam that contours around the ears much better.  The seal is good with decent noise isolation.  The openings are a bit bigger, so if you have average sized ears, you'll be fine.
- Headband is a bit wider and is angled a bit where the adjustment sliders are.  There is definitely less pressure on the head vs. the CFW1.
- The CFW1 actually fits better for the gym (since it's tighter, it's more secure), but the CFW2 still functions well and remains secure enough for all my exercises, even those that require bending over.

SOUND:
- HIGHS:  I'm assuming it's streaming over SBC, but the highs are definitely improved over the CFW1 with more detail and an overall cleaner presentation.  It's quite impressive if over SBC, as it's not sibilant or harsh.  I originally feared it would be, but it actually sounds really good.
- MIDS:  Much improved.  Vocals are better defined without being affected by the notorious mid-bass bleed.  Vocals sound clear and distinct.
- LOWS:  While the bass on the CFW1 was a bit bloated and creeps into the mid-range, the CFW2 has a nice tightly controlled bass, yet it still rumbles with authority.  I'm a bass-head to a degree and this satisfies me.  I would say the quantity of bass is about the same, but it's much more controlled.
- HISS:  Because the AMP is powerful, there is still a bit of a hiss, however, IMO, it's less than the CFW1.  For example, I listen to the CFW1 at 2-3 clicks from 0 volume, but the CFW2 I'm at 3-4 clicks.  This suggests the AMP is toned down a bit in order to reduce the overall noise floor.

BLUETOOTH:
- Very surprised it sounded as good as it did over, assumably, SBC.  I think it sounds BETTER than the CFW1 using the same source and playing the same songs.  Range was very good for a Class 2 BT device and is as advertised.  I'd be interested in knowing what Qualcomm chip they are using, as it may actually support AAC (many of them do).

OVERALL:  
- Sounds more refined and less of a "fun" headphone.  It's still on the warm side, but to a lesser degree.  Sounds clean & clear like the B&O H7, but has some of the richness & warmth of the B&W P7W.  I'd say it falls somewhere between those 2 sound signatures.  The CFW1 is still a good sounding headphone and more "club-like", so you can turn it up loud without as much fatigue.  At loud volumes (which I don't do, but just did for testing), the CFW2 can get a bit fatiguing due to the increased clarity, but I still would'd say it's piercing, sharp, or harsh.

Man, you make me want to cancel the rose gold order and switch to the matte black without APTX. You think I should being that I will be using my Samsung Galaxy S6 with APTX? I will be probably using it in Bluetooth mode a lot.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #607 of 1,668
Your impressions are much appreciated. I just hope this new headset isn't too far removed from the "fun" sound of the CFW1 that I fell in love with. That would be incredibly disappointing.

Also how long do you have to wait when you get an email from V-Moda stating they shipped the headphones to getting actual tracking info from UPS? UPS just keeps saying they don't have the shipment.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #609 of 1,668

CFW1 vs. CFW2 (or CF2W)

BUILD/FIT:  

SOUND:

BLUETOOTH:

OVERALL:  
My thoughts exactly. I said the same thing last week when I reviewed my Matte Blacks, only difference for me was that I was going off of memory because I used V-Moda's Immortal Life Program and gave up my CFW1. Glad to know my memory of the sound signature of the CFW1 was not off.

Your impressions are much appreciated. I just hope this new headset isn't too far removed from the "fun" sound of the CFW1 that I fell in love with. That would be incredibly disappointing.

Also how long do you have to wait when you get an email from V-Moda stating they shipped the headphones to getting actual tracking info from UPS? UPS just keeps saying they don't have the shipment.
It is still very much a fun headphone, just not quite as bassy. Some may see that as not as fun. However, when you compare the CF2W to the QC35, Sony MDR-1000X, and M50X, all of which I still have, it's the most fun to listen to.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #610 of 1,668
I just broke down and purchased the rose gold in hopes when I see it in person, it will be more appealing to me. It will be in on Thursday 4/20. Keep you fingers crossed for me guys! 

Just keep telling yourself it's black and copper, because that's really what it looks like... my daughter had a rose gold iPhone, and they're completely different.... it's very original looking

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #611 of 1,668
Unless you were looking for M-100 type of bass I think V-MODA was wise to tone down their bass a bit. The M-100 made a name for that bassy signature. I enjoyed that headphone but for me it would have only been a "fun" portable and not at all for critical listening, because it wasn't very detailed. This one seems to check more boxes for more people.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #612 of 1,668
Sid
My thoughts exactly. I said the same thing last week when I reviewed my Matte Blacks, only difference for me was that I was going off of memory because I used V-Moda's Immortal Life Program and gave up my CFW1. Glad to know my memory of the sound signature of the CFW1 was not off.
It is still very much a fun headphone, just not quite as bassy. Some may see that as not as fun. However, when you compare the CF2W to the QC35, Sony MDR-1000X, and M50X, all of which I still have, it's the most fun to listen to.

Did u actually have to cut the cords on your CFW1's before u sent them back?? Or did u just return them as is?

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #613 of 1,668
  Man, you make me want to cancel the rose gold order and switch to the matte black without APTX. You think I should being that I will be using my Samsung Galaxy S6 with APTX? I will be probably using it in Bluetooth mode a lot.

Right now, I listen to Apple Music on an iPhone, so aptX was not really an option for me.  However, aptX did make a difference with my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless streaming Google Play Music.  However, since I've not A/B the difference, V-Moda's implementation could be close either way, so in that case, it would boil down to what color you really like more.  I can say that I'm totally satisfied with the sound over BT from my iPhone.  If you LIKE rose gold, I would stick with it if I was in your place.

It's still fun, but not the same "club" type of sound.  It's still warm, but they definitely went more for a "good sounding" headphone.  I like both and certainly will be going back and forth between them based on my mood.

I ordered from Amazon.com, so it was just 1 day shipping.  Ordered on Sunday, received on Monday.

What genre of music you listen to the most?

Classic Rock, 80s Rock, 80s Hard Rock/Metal, 80s Pop, 80s R&B, AOR

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #614 of 1,668
I like the bass to be tight. That is probably why I like the XS so much. I find the bass punchy but it can play pretty low bass frequencies without distortion or bleeding into the lower mids. Also, the XS sounds awsome at low volume for bedtime use to fall asleep with. That is why I kept the XS and gave my M100's to my nephew. I found them to have slightly too much of a v shaped signature that took away from the mids with several genres I would listen to. Now I wish I would of kept the M100's so I could have traded them in for a discount! LOL

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #615 of 1,668
I have a feeling you will like the CFW2 better for that type of music. I listen to a lot of that kind of stuff too. I feel the bass being tighter from what people say with these will help with that style of music. Does anyone who has had a chance to audition these feel that way also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back