V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 28, 2017 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,668

NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

V-MODA unveils their latest Crossfade model, the Crossfade 2 Wireless, and we think it’s their best over-ear so far. Val Kolton came from Milan, Italy to Head-Fi HQ to talk about the Crossfade 2 Wireless, and why it sounds the way it does.

V-MODA CROSSFADE 2 WIRELESS produced by Jude Mansilla and Brian Murphy

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 1,668
Aside from adding aptX to the rose gold model, has the Bluetooth been improved?  I have the Crossfade Wireless headphones and they skip with my Moto Z Force phone when walking down the street and next to a college campus.  I assume it has to do with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi interfering but I have to take my phone out of my pocket to stop the skipping.  The Beats Solo3 headphones I have do not experience skipping.  If the Bluetooth has been improved and provides a solid connection, I definitely would be interested in trading in my current Crossfade Wireless for the rose gold Crossfade 2.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 1,668
Cool video! So I was a little confused at the end.. does the rose gold support wireless with the iPhones?

Yes, but not the Bluetooth AptX-codec (which is higher quality than other wireless bluetooth codecs). iPhone does not support aptX-codec (not yet anyway), but does support the lower sound quality Bluetooth codecs.

Sony Xperia XZ and some other Sony android phones support aptX. Also, the upcoming Android O version (android 8.0?) should support aptX-codec for all devices that upgrade to Android O.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 1,668
Yes, but not the Bluetooth AptX-codec (which is higher quality than other wireless bluetooth codecs). iPhone does not support aptX-codec (not yet anyway), but does support the lower sound quality Bluetooth codecs.

Sony Xperia XZ and some other Sony android phones support aptX. Also, the upcoming Android O version (android 8.0?) should support aptX-codec for all devices that upgrade to Android O.

The AAC codec on iPhone is superior to aptX when utilized with AAC files. At least on the Solo3 the difference is indiscernible. I'd imagine V-MODA's Qualcomm chip would provide the same experience.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 1,668
Cool video! So I was a little confused at the end.. does the rose gold support wireless with the iPhones?

yes wireless is supported on the iPhone but I guess its SBC bluetooth codec and not AAC. AAC is apple's sort of version of aptX. AAC provides greater SQ than SBC. The AAC codec pulls iPhone listeners off SBC’s bottom rung and into SQ territory on par with aptX. Very few wireless headphones support AAC(mdr 1000X is one)

aptX is nice but VModa should have introduced aptX HD and not just aptX since Val talked about High-Res certification. I guess High Res certification only applies to the wired mode and not the wireless. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 1,668
I am amped about the release, I'll be on the forums now more so please if you have any questions let me know!

I know you will love these, we put a lot of hard work on improving every detail!

I also have some news on aptX - did you know MacOS supports it???!  I post the screenshot below... just hold "OPTION" on your keyboard and then click your Bluetooth icon in the system menu bar.  It'll show the codex!!!  It works great with Tidal and lossless files/services.

More and more new Qualcomm based phones should support it - it'll be interesting to A/B test with more people's feedback.

More about it here 
V-MODA.com/APTX

mac-os-example2.jpg

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 1,668

A number of android phones support aptX not just the Xperia ones. High end Xperia phones (Z3+ and newer) support Sony's proprietary LDAC codec in addition to aptX.
LDAC codec support will be baked into Android Oreo.

https://www.aptx.com/products

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 1,668
I'm very interested... but also a little shocked these are only $20 less than the Sony's and Bose which have awesome NC. Can't wait to give them a listen, though. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 1,668
Hi Val,

— Most importantly, does it still support AAC as does the previous CfW (AAC+ or something)? It is completely unclear from the video.

— Is it possible to add AptX support via a paid firmware upgrade or something like that?
— Or at least, add it in any way for the headphones with classic colors?

— What is the difference in chipset compared to CfW v. 1? Do chipsets differ for CfW 2 vs CfW 2 Rose Gold or just the firmware?

— Do your tests (yes, the alt-click trick) show AAC support for MacBook Pros or they can only use SBC, as does the Crossfade Wireless 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back