Updated consensus on PS3 vs. 360
Feb 3, 2008 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

sisenor

500+ Head-Fier
I remember reading the usual technical comparisons you see, you know, next-gen hype of these systems before they came about the theoretical graphics capabilities. It was, also as usual, a nuanced comparison and there was no clear winner.

I've owned a Wii and had to sell it (wish I kept it). Anyway, my question is now that these systems have been out for 1-2 years and game designers have learned a thing or two about the systems, is there an accepted consensus now about how they stack up against each other? Is it close?

Thanks

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 46
I think by the end of 2008 (or 9), they'll be on equal footing. Exclusives like Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet, and FFXIII will definitely give the PS3 a fighting chance. There are a few good ones out now, like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Ratchet and Clank. The 360 has some great titles such as Bioshock and Mass Effect, but the hardware itself can be a real problem. (google "red ring of death")

And if it matters, the 360 can be modified to play backups.

Edit: Here's a good review site if you want to see some games in action: Gametrailers.com - Video Game Reviews, Game Trailers Reviews

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 46
I have both, but if a game is out on both platforms, I always go for the 360 version.

Why? I'm addicted to achievements.

Also, the Xbox Live system is great. It's nice to have all the tools and options to hook up and communicate with friends. The PS3 system is nowhere near as complete as far as gaming friends go.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 46
Both consoles seem to produce nearly identical results. In the future however, it seems that companies like EA are finding out that developing multi-platform on PS3 first and then porting them to the 360 is much easier than going the other way around, so thanks to Sony's difficult-to-develop-for console, we may be seeing slightly better graphics on it since titles will be developed on it first. Sometimes people with both consoles will choose the 360 version for the achievements and better online play.

I don't think that it's likely that Sony will get past Microsoft's lead this year in the U.S., although it is possible in Europe. I think this is because MS understands U.S. gamers, and it's nice not getting the shaft for once. I still like the idea of having titles developed for us first, rather than having them come out in Japan and maybe after 6 months to a year later they come out over here, if we're lucky.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 46
It definitely matters which style of games you prefer more, Western titles (FPS, RTS, Sci-fi RPG) or Japanese ones (JRPGs, 3rd person action/shooter, etc). Personally, I'll stick with my PS2 for now, because Yakuza 2 and Persona FES/4 are coming out for it. If I had to go next-gen, I'd get a PS3 since I mostly play linear single-player Japanese games.

It's also notable that the PS3 makes a decent multimedia system.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS3 game lineup is weak compared to the 360's, even after 2008.

Quote:

It will take awhile for Sony to catch up, if they ever do.

The lineup isn't as good as the 360, but it's not that far behind. (Meaning to the point where you should just take the PS3 out back and shoot it) And don't forget that the 360 had a one year head start. Sure, the online aspect may never match the 360's, but it is free. And don't forget PSN, which has had some good hits.

Quote:

why not a wii?

The OP already had one, I guess he wants to try something different.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 46
I don't have a 360, so I can't compare them, but I've been very impressed with my PS3. Of course I'm not a HALO junkie either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ratchet and Clank is one of the most enjoyable and beautiful games I've ever played.

GAD

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 46
In our house with three college students, we naturally have all three seventh-gen systems. The 360 sees by far the most playtime, followed by the Wii. At a very, very distant third is the PS3, which is fine because 99% of the time it is being used as an excellent BluRay player.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 46
XBox 360's backwards compatibility, downloadable game selection, and popularity for multiplayer fps are what will make it beat the PS3, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back