Updated consensus on PS3 vs. 360
Feb 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #31 of 46
I shopped for my 360 the same time yours was built. The 5/6 month timeline is NOT accurate. At that time, 90% of the units on the market place were still the "older" one that was louder, hotter, and more failure-prone.

In fact, I saw some with NEWER build dates that were the older version

I found and bought the "new" version of the 360 and it hasnt given me a single problem

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #32 of 46
you know i was a big 360 fanboy but then it died luckily i had a warranty and got another one... so i have a new one with another warranty once this one busts and i get my new one ill play that till it dies and then i wont be another 360

my brother brought home a ps3 so thats getting more play im gonna get some new games for it sometime in the near future... but i cant give the 360 total thumbs down its fun and i still have like 20 games for it so it still gets played... but ps3s free online play is the ****

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #33 of 46
I have both systems and enjoy playing both of them. If i had to choose one it would be the PS3 hands down. I have gone through 5 xbox 360's. There quality is lacking to say the least. I have been without my 360 for about 3 1/2 months out of the 1.5 years i have owned it.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't, get the Orange Box and try Portal.
smily_headphones1.gif

X2! Portal is easily the most enjoyable single player game I have played in a while. My only gripe is that its way too short. But for the few hours you get out of it, its absolutely awesome. Best puzzle game ever. And the villain is this robotic voice that plays over a loudspeaker in-game. At first the voice seems like it is simply a guide through your "test", but slowly the voice turns against you, and is eventually trying to see you die, all while keeping its robotic composure. Its just awesome, I cant say enough good things about it.

Oh by the way I bought the PS3 over the 360, because I believe in the coming year or two the PS3 will catch up with the 360 in terms of the games lineup (all my favourite next-gen titles are already on the PS3 anyways, ie: Drakes Fortune, Rock Band, Call of Duty 4, The Orange Box, Guitar Hero III, Ratchet & Clank and Burnout Paradise), and the fact that Blu-ray is quickly phasing out HD-DVD.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #35 of 46
Too bad the wireless controller on Guitar Hero is absolutely horrible on the PS3, the framerate has issues on the PS3 version of the Orange Box and no one plays Call of Duty 4 online on the PS3 (well, not nearly as many as the xbox 360 and the computer versions). No offense, PS3 is nice, but I like my xbox 360.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #37 of 46
yeah, but look at it! haha, it is a fine system if not for the silly looks of controller and the unit itself. i have had fun with gears of war at my mates house, but i am not all about shooters unless it is with heaps of friends ala perfect dark or goldeneye.

i find it just funny that the poor wii got the bad end of 判断 (what is the word i am looking for) as looking like a toy but... the xbox 360, the most macho of all three is a great box with a big ring of fire and a white controller that looks like a blown up marshmallow. i am sure you can be happy with it, but... yikes. good luck on your centurey ingwe - ive got snow up to about a metre so,,, no roading it for me

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 46
another good point of the 360 over the ps3 is the controller...

pick up a sixaxis... it's way too light and feels like a cheap toy (sony controllers are also very easy to break)

the 360 controller however has a similar sturdy construction to the xbox1 controllers... the weight is perfect (though i guess the wired controllers might feel a little on the light side since i've only used the wireless)

and what i said about the build quality of the xbox1 controllers still stands... one could use the controller to shatter the skull of the person next to them and continue playing... where my sixaxis had it's R2 button get jammed because i dropped it on a carpeted floor

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another good point of the 360 over the ps3 is the controller...

pick up a sixaxis... it's way too light and feels like a cheap toy (sony controllers are also very easy to break)

I dunno, I've had PS1 and PS2 controllers for many years. Dropped them, spilled fish sauce on them, and they still work fine. I'm sure they're as good as any other controller in such respect. And what's wrong with being light?

Now if you were to mention the design...

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the xbox 360, the most macho of all three is a great box with a big ring of fire and a white controller that looks like a blown up marshmallow. i am sure you can be happy with it, but... yikes.

This is the first time I've ever heard a complaint about the 360 controller, and I frequent a few game blogs and forums. It's plenty comfortable and intuitive imho. I could understand if you were complaining about the original Duke controller, but really, what's the problem with the new one, aside from having the same color as a marshmallow?

The Sony controller works just fine, but I greatly prefer the deeper analog triggers in the back (ie: Dreamcast / 360) for racing games. Glad they decided to incorporate the force feedback again though. The Wii remote is still kinda awkward for me, swinging it around hoping it does what I want it to.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first time I've ever heard a complaint about the 360 controller, and I frequent a few game blogs and forums. It's plenty comfortable and intuitive imho. I could understand if you were complaining about the original Duke controller, but really, what's the problem with the new one, aside from having the same color as a marshmallow?

The Sony controller works just fine, but I greatly prefer the deeper analog triggers in the back (ie: Dreamcast / 360) for racing games. Glad they decided to incorporate the force feedback again though. The Wii remote is still kinda awkward for me, swinging it around hoping it does what I want it to.

same here i love the 360 controllers for racing and things like that... but its because i havent played any playstation console(aside from the ps3 i just got a month ago) in years so the controller at first felt weird but more and more its growing on me

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It definitely matters which style of games you prefer more, Western titles (FPS, RTS, Sci-fi RPG) or Japanese ones (JRPGs, 3rd person action/shooter, etc). Personally, I'll stick with my PS2 for now, because Yakuza 2 and Persona FES/4 are coming out for it. If I had to go next-gen, I'd get a PS3 since I mostly play linear single-player Japanese games.

It's also notable that the PS3 makes a decent multimedia system.

I think this is the best point made so far in the thread.

What sort of games have you loved in the past?
I am definitely a Japanese gamer- Final Fantasy, Shadow of the Colossus, Virtua Fighter, Jet Set Radio (yes I know that went to Xbox, but I am giving examples of distinctly Japanese stuff), Katamari, etcetera and would go for the PS3.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is the best point made so far in the thread.

What sort of games have you loved in the past?
I am definitely a Japanese gamer- Final Fantasy, Shadow of the Colossus, Virtua Fighter, Jet Set Radio (yes I know that went to Xbox, but I am giving examples of distinctly Japanese stuff), Katamari, etcetera and would go for the PS3.

well by this time next year there will be like 3x the number of ps3 games out... alot of exclusives etc thats why im slowly buying ps3 games since that system is winning me over... and again the free online play is so Fing sweet

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aside from having the same color as a marshmallow?

if that is someone's main complaint that can be fixed

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #45 of 46
The only reason I picked up a PS3 was for the great new JRPGs that would show up on the console. As of now the 360 has almost all the JRPGs and upcoming exclusives (FFXIII) the PS3 lacks. 2 years and still waiting... Guess its time for me to get a 360. -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back