Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 11, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #1,021 of 2,701
I consider this as a must buy.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,022 of 2,701
yes, do it 
size]

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #1,023 of 2,701
I think I'm having this compulsion to buy a high end phone because my D7000's have been at Lawton audio getting the treatment and angle pads......they arrive home today so this obsession should go away then. Or so I'm telling myself......:D

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,026 of 2,701
I guess what im trying to say is although i know the th900's will sound better, im scared of it not having that "special something" that ultrasone has given me.

If i was only going to listen to edm, would the sig dj's or th900's sound better, or would the amount of sq increase justify the extra 700$?

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,027 of 2,701
These ultrasone dj's have an absolutely massive bass response. Much more than what I thought from the demo one I listened to - that storefront in selfridges is surrounded by speakers/tv's/home cinema systems so it's really loud to begin with.

I was thinking of getting the fostex th900 next month, but if it has bass of a similar quantity, then I'll definitely pass.  

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,028 of 2,701
I think a TH-900 just for EDM is a waste. It's a marvellous euphonic headphone for all genres. Whenever I feel the HD 800 doesn't deliver joy and emotions I put the TH-900 and it makes me smile. There are so many objective advantages of the HD 800 (they are not popular and such a damn business success for no reason) in terms of technicalities compared to other headphones but there's a certain lack of euphony that no amp (despite claims from the high end section) or DAC could ever "correct".

I didn't have time to compare the DJ and the TH-900 good enough in the last 8-10 days due to being absent but they are noticably different in the sense that the TH-900 is clearly more refined in every spectrum, faster in attack/decay and do have a better low freq extension. They are both very strong in bass quantity and impact, I could tell you more about this later tonight if I make it home.

They are at least equal for EDM but different. Strictly speaking about EDM somehow I suspect the DJs to feel more more fresh and youthful like teenagers while the TH-900 is the more "experienced", controlled and matured. The former doesn't mean uncontrolled, bloaty or erratic. Maybe you get what I mean.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,029 of 2,701
Quote:

They are at least equal for EDM but different. Strictly speaking about EDM somehow I suspect the DJs to feel more more fresh and youthful like teenagers while the TH-900 is the more "experienced", controlled and matured. The former doesn't mean uncontrolled, bloaty or erratic. Maybe you get what I mean.

Perfectly ! .. Fresh and youhtful are terms I often use to describe my Sig pro compared to its competitors :) .. I think youthfulness and energy is the central point of Ultrasone House sound. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #1,030 of 2,701
Quote:
I think a TH-900 just for EDM is a waste. It's a marvellous euphonic headphone for all genres. Whenever I feel the HD 800 doesn't deliver joy and emotions I put the TH-900 and it makes me smile. There are so many objective advantages of the HD 800 (they are not popular and such a damn business success for no reason) in terms of technicalities compared to other headphones but there's a certain lack of euphony that no amp (despite claims from the high end section) or DAC could ever "correct".

I didn't have time to compare the DJ and the TH-900 good enough in the last 8-10 days due to being absent but they are noticably different in the sense that the TH-900 is clearly more refined in every spectrum, faster in attack/decay and do have a better low freq extension. They are both very strong in bass quantity and impact, I could tell you more about this later tonight if I make it home.

Thanks a lot Fegefeur.

That'll be great if you can compare them both for us here, especially in terms of bass quantity, mid bass punch. Statements like 'massive bass' feel a bit empty really if there's no reference to other bass heavy cans.  

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,031 of 2,701
And Fegefeuer, please be carefull with your listening volume levels. The last one on this forum who got both damaged his ears and had to quit this lovely hobby.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,032 of 2,701
Yes, you are right, these headphones are very efficient and downright scary in the lows. The DJ is a basshead's dream and its power seductive, one should be careful not to want club levels. 

With the Anedio D2 I listen to the Sig DJ at volume 22 max. HD 800 needs 45-50, depending on the recording.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,034 of 2,701

Thanks alot, that really clears things up for me. I know that edm isnt the best thing to spend 1000$ for, but im passionate lol.

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,035 of 2,701
Quote:
I think I'm having this compulsion to buy a high end phone because my D7000's have been at Lawton audio getting the treatment and angle pads......they arrive home today so this obsession should go away then. Or so I'm telling myself......
biggrin.gif

Compulsion gone.  Got the Lawton modded D7000's back and forget about it.  With the angle pads and damping mods, they are a bassheads wet dream now.  Such a difference from stock that I find it hard to believe.  Soundstage, crisp highs and thumping bass - it will handle everything my vintage receiver will throw at it. 

Phew..............saved me $770ish. 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back