Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,681 of 2,701

This, it's 729€ incl shipping with 3 year warranty (by Thomann) and 30 days return warranty. I've almost ordered it but 729€ is still a lot of money for a headphone to me, especially since I can't try it before I buy it.

I'm in the same boat and feel the same as you do. I'm tempted to order both the TH900 and the Sig DJ from Thomann and return the one I dislike. However, what if I decide I like both and can't decide between the two? That would drive me nuts since it's a lot of money to part with.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,682 of 2,701
I had the Sig DJ for several hundred hours. 

If you have the TH-900 the only choice you'll have is to reduce the Sig DJ to mobile/transport only if you want to own both. For home only there's simply no contest.

Since I only have IEMs at the moment I kinda long for them again for their isolation, full sound, hard hitting bass and non-aggressive highs (basically still the best Ultrasone to me) for train and travel which I do plenty. It's only them or the T5p. Unfortunately for the T5p I grew out of Beyer highs pretty quickly.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,683 of 2,701

Since I only have IEMs at the moment I kinda long for them again for their isolation, full sound, hard hitting bass and non-aggressive highs (basically still the best Ultrasone to me) for train and travel which I do plenty. It's only them or the T5p. Unfortunately for the T5p I grew out of Beyer highs pretty quickly.

So I take it the T5p highs are rougher / Sig DJs having smoother highs? I've only tried two beyer headphones both both had highs that wasn't to my taste, they were of the rough/metallic kind of type, slightly similar to some Audio Technica but slightly further exaggerated which to me sounds very unnatural. To me highs needs to be "soft" but still present. Difficult to describe to others, only if you have tried out different headphones that have these different attributes you will understand. :)

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,684 of 2,701
The T5p has better imaging and a larger soundstage than the DJs but the highs are noticably sharper and can be unpleasant. Sig DJ is pretty smooth in comparison, the highs never bothered me. DT880, T90, DT990, T1, T5p did. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,685 of 2,701

So I take it the T5p highs are rougher / Sig DJs having smoother highs? I've only tried two beyer headphones both both had highs that wasn't to my taste, they were of the rough/metallic kind of type, slightly similar to some Audio Technica but slightly further exaggerated which to me sounds very unnatural. To me highs needs to be "soft" but still present. Difficult to describe to others, only if you have tried out different headphones that have these different attributes you will understand. :)

The highs and upper mids are rougher and more in-your-face than the Sig DJs. But I like their sound although sometimes (with some songs) it's definitely not the best pairing. I feel the Sig DJs is the most tight of them both and I prefer it in terms of sound (comfort is a whole 'nother issue :wink:).

The T5p has better imaging and a larger soundstage than the DJs but the highs are noticably sharper and can be unpleasant. Sig DJ is pretty smooth in comparison, the highs never bothered me. DT880, T90, DT990, T1, T5p did. 

Definitely.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #1,686 of 2,701

I'm in the same boat and feel the same as you do. I'm tempted to order both the TH900 and the Sig DJ from Thomann and return the one I dislike. However, what if I decide I like both and can't decide between the two? That would drive me nuts since it's a lot of money to part with.

I bought the SIG DJ and kept it a week before selling it back off. It just wasn't the "one" for me, since I have limited funding and cannot afford 2 very expensive headphones. 

I ordered the TH-900 after debating heavily whether I should get it or save half and go for TH-600. In the end, I decided on going for the 900, because I like V shaped signatures, and apparently 900 is more V shaped with better bass than 600. Considering I listen to 90 percent EDM, I felt it was the way to go.

Now, I'm expecting TH-900 to be very superior to the SIG DJ, and it should, considering how much more it costs and that it isn't portable. I really just wanted the best EDM phone for use at home, for pure musical enjoyment.

For me, I liked PRO 900 as compared to SIG DJ, but many on here feel differently. I also have a 2500 which is very enjoyable. I think the 2500 is extremely underrated, and for the price I paid, it is an excellent sounding Ultrasone. (But it is open back!)

So, SIG DJ wasn't what I myself was searching for (I really did expect more from it at the price point), but others like it very much as you can read on this thread.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #1,687 of 2,701

I bought the SIG DJ and kept it a week before selling it back off. It just wasn't the "one" for me, since I have limited funding and cannot afford 2 very expensive headphones. 

I ordered the TH-900 after debating heavily whether I should get it or save half and go for TH-600. In the end, I decided on going for the 900, because I like V shaped signatures, and apparently 900 is more V shaped with better bass than 600. Considering I listen to 90 percent EDM, I felt it was the way to go.

Now, I'm expecting TH-900 to be very superior to the SIG DJ, and it should, considering how much more it costs and that it isn't portable. I really just wanted the best EDM phone for use at home, for pure musical enjoyment.

For me, I liked PRO 900 as compared to SIG DJ, but many on here feel differently. I also have a 2500 which is very enjoyable. I think the 2500 is extremely underrated, and for the price I paid, it is an excellent sounding Ultrasone. (But it is open back!)

So, SIG DJ wasn't what I myself was searching for (I really did expect more from it at the price point), but others like it very much as you can read on this thread.

Thanks for your feedback. It's looking increasingly ever more so that I will need to buy both the TH900 and the Sig DJ to do my own comparison since there is just far too many conflicting reviews here regarding the mids; some say the Fostex has more forward mids, some say otherwise. It's all so difficult.

I had the Pro 900 and hated it. Metallic thin sounding mids and it killed my ears. For me, the best Ultrasone I have heard is the HFI-780 thus far.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #1,688 of 2,701
Yea, the best thing to do is find things out yourself, if you have the funding to do so. The main thing between TH-900 and SIG DJ is that SIG DJ is the portable guy while TH-900 would be for home use.

It seems to me most who have tried both say the TH-900 is the better sounding headphone overall. This should not be surprising provided the extra cost premium you pay for it over the SIG DJ.

But yes, best thing is to buy the ones you are interested in, at good prices and resell them if they don't do it for you. Otherwise you will be left wondering if you made a good decision or not. It's very hard to describe sound, and because we probably all hear slightly differently, it's even more difficult.

Good luck. I hope you can find what you are looking for! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,689 of 2,701

RPGWIZaRD - how long have you been agonising over the Sig DJ?

I ask this because from the few posts I've read of yours, it sounds to me like the Sig DJ's could well be your match, but at the same time you seem to want to talk yourself out of the idea?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the Sig Pros are not really an impulse buy type of can and aren't exactly cheap, but I'd love to see a post one day on this thread with you gushing over the Sig DJ as I have and many others, only if it's discontinued now, your chances of picking up new are dwindling and I've no idea what the second user market is like for these cans?

Hearing these puppies for yourself is the only way to determine if the Sig DJ's are for you, I'd be inclined to not put too much faith in frequency response charts :wink:

Hope you get a chance to give the Sig DJs an audition soon, one way or another :)

edit: apparently Sig DJ's are not currently discontinued - proceed at your own pace as it appears reports of it's death gave been greatly exaggerated :rolleyes: :D

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #1,690 of 2,701
  "The simple answer is no; the Signature line has not been discontinued and there are no plans to do so.  They are very much an important part of the Ultrasone range"

So there you have it, straight from the horses mouth. Move along.....

Again, this headphone will not be discontinued. But it is hard to get such a rumor off the internet...
popcorn.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,691 of 2,701
Again, this headphone will not be discontinued. But it is hard to get such a rumor off the internet...
:popcorn:  

Wait a min - where the heck did this rumour originate from?

Oh, well - that's good news then - and to think I was contemplating buying a second pair as insurance if my current pair got lost, damaged, eaten by a zombie etc :blink:

So, - they are definitely not discontinued?

Ok - got it :D

Godda*n internet! It really is just a series of tubes! :mad:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/_cZC67wXUTs[/VIDEO]​

Does anyone know where the discontinued Sig DJ tube could be :confused_face_2: (angular tube most likely)

It needs plugging.....:)

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,692 of 2,701

popcorn.gif

Perhaps Bloodflowerz can alert Ultrasone that it's Amazon US that's listing the Sig DJ's as discontinued. That's more than a random internet blog post!

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,693 of 2,701
Perhaps Bloodflowerz can alert Ultrasone that it's Amazon US that's listing the Sig DJ's as discontinued. That's more than a random internet blog post!

Maybe this will help?

If someone could kindly pass this on to ULTRASONE HQ they could put it on their internet tube for everyone's benefit?

Do you think it might be overreacting if someone reported this to the powlice? (internets powlice...)

:popcorn: :D

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,694 of 2,701
Hey rpgwizard, just saying if its between the pandora and the djs, instead of deciding which one is perfect, decide which one is better. Could you handle slightly receded mids or not quite right bass more?

And also, i love that you talk about instruments being weighty, i have always loved that effect that boosted lower mids can induce. I can also add, that the sig dj has very weighty instruments as long as they arent high pitched. I feel that the lower mids are hardly recessed, i only notice it on *very* few female singers. Even when i do its a small effect. These cans are great all rounders, the only genre they arent is rock.

The mids arent a big deal to me atleast. Listen to icarus by synthetic epiphany. I can hear all of the voices just fine, which is a feat in itself. Major mixing issues on this song.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,695 of 2,701
I mainly listen to rock music on all of my cans. I never noticed that the Ultrasone Signature DJ is not perfect for rock. I cannot see a genre the is bad performed by the Sig DJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back