Ultrasone Signature DJ
May 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,516 of 2,701
Even for that purpose I use the Sig Dj without hesitation.

May 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,517 of 2,701

You may find you prefer the Pro900 and/or the D2000 to the DJ.  I did.  And the comfort was just not there on both the headband and the pads. 

I'm actually considering TH-900 now. If SIG DJ costs 750, another 400 bucks or so and I'm there to the summit. Then, at that point, I won't have to worry about upgrades. 

May 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,518 of 2,701
I don't use headphones outside my home, so I'm looking for purely the best closed EDM can for at home use.

Seems like TH-900 might be the better option... though I NEVER thought I'd be one of those people spending $1000+ on a headphone!

May 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,519 of 2,701

I'm actually considering TH-900 now. If SIG DJ costs 750, another 400 bucks or so and I'm there to the summit. Then, at that point, I won't have to worry about upgrades. 

Please also factor in the cost of a decent amp, The TH-900 will not show you what it is really capable of without that.

May 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,520 of 2,701

Please also factor in the cost of a decent amp, The TH-900 will not show you what it is really capable of without that.

That's a good point.

I have an upgraded Go DAP X, LME 49860, 10 ohm. From what I understand, it's very similar to the V-moda Verza. It sounds very nice on my D2000 and Pro 900. Certainly not the best, but it does the job and enjoy it greatly.

Honestly, I know very little about amps/dacs. From reading the TH-900 board, it scales well but also sounds great without the best of amps/dacs.

I'm thinking I'd be happy with either the sig dj or th-900, they both seem to sound fantastic. One thing that worries me about sig dj is that I do like rather detailed and aggressive highs. For example, the highs on Pro 900 don't bother me, while some really hate them. Also, I didn't like the M-100 at all specifically because I felt the treble was really lacking. From what I gather, Th-900 might have a more aggressive treble better suited to my taste.

Listening to my D2000 and Pro900 right now, I'm not even sure how much better others could get!
I love them both! (Plus they didn't break the bank!)

May 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,521 of 2,701
  If anyone is interested, there is an open box sig DJ listed on Ebay for $700 USD. I think that's a pretty good deal for this headphone, and would hop on it myself but my wallet is already drained ATM. 
frown.gif

Thank you for the heads up, purchased for a friend who fell in love with mine.
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,522 of 2,701

Thank you for the heads up, purchased for a friend who fell in love with mine.
beerchug.gif

No problem! Glad I could help.

Seeing as you own both Sig DJ and TH-900, could you give any insight as to which might be better? I do not care about portability. I listen to 90 percent EDM, and love my bass and a cool 3D soundstage. 

On a related note, I know this is dumb, but I like to jump around and stuff when I listen to my music. Would TH-900 be suitable for dancing / rocking my head. I notice my pro 900 has a tighter grip, making it easier to dance with than my D2000.

Lulz.

May 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,523 of 2,701
For indoor use TH 900 - no contest, especially for EDM. Grip is similar to the denons, I have danced with them and they are ok as long as you do not shake your head vigorously

May 3, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,525 of 2,701
No I didn't try TH 600, bcos I know myself. If I had bought them first after couple of months I would have been wondering what the TH 900 sounds like and would be itching for an upgrade, plus I also own upgraded \ modded D5000 so that was another factor.

May 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #1,526 of 2,701
No I didn't try TH 600, bcos I know myself. If I had bought them first after couple of months I would have been wondering what the TH 900 sounds like and would be itching for an upgrade, plus I also own upgraded \ modded D5000 so that was another factor.

BUT BUT... maybe you'd like TH-600 MORE than TH-900? :D There are some few exceptions where that is the case. Sorry just had to. xD

May 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,527 of 2,701

Have you tried TH-600? If so, would you also say it beats SIG DJ indoors for EDM? Thanks for the advice.

The TH600 eclipses the DJ in a number of ways. Its imaging/separation is slightly better, the soundstage is much larger, the detail seems a bit higher. However it trades off being portable, leaks a lot more and has poorer isolation. I feel the DJ is slightly more impactful compared to the TH600 being having more rumble in the sub bass. The TH600 treble is a fair bit more jarring or aggressive to my ears. The TH900 in comparison to TH600 is less aggressive in the treble, had a bit better detail, somewhat larger soundstage, better imaging and slightly more impactful bass. All of these things being something like 5-10% better or around that kind of ballpark - not groundbreaking but noticeable.

The third and fourth side of the argument at this price outside of the Fostex line and Ultrasone are the Final Audio Design Pandora Hope 6 and the JVC DX1000. Not having head the FAD PH6 I cannot comment there but the JVC is up with the other two, if not the more versatile headphone in genre bandwidth. However I would disqualify it from recommending it for you as its highs are less pronounced overall then the others and its clamp is non existent. As far as it goes, it has a larger stage than the TH600, imaging similar, bass is impactful and has rumble but a little less powerful rumble and impact then the other two (something that I've changed my stance on over the last while), it has the most forward and complete mids of them all by far and also the least aggressive treble despite still being fairly detailed up there. They can be very strange at times, in electronic they always sound rather bassy, but with certain music like some rock albums they lose their bassy sound, and on some recordings the treble ranges from darker to being quite well detailed and extended.

May 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #1,529 of 2,701
Or do what I've done eventually and get th600 & sigdj to suit all use cases :) Especially if you get both second hand at current prices you'd be paying same or less than a pair of th900. As everyone says 5-10% better than th600 and all down to preference and and some do prefer th600 so I'm not really interested in the 900s for thr premium you pay. Variety is the spice of life :D now hurry up and arrive SDJs!

May 4, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #1,530 of 2,701
Or do what I've done eventually and get th600 & sigdj to suit all use cases
smily_headphones1.gif
Especially if you get both second hand at current prices you'd be paying same or less than a pair of th900. As everyone says 5-10% better than th600 and all down to preference and and some do prefer th600 so I'm not really interested in the 900s for thr premium you pay. Variety is the spice of life
biggrin.gif
now hurry up and arrive SDJs!

Yea, that's a good idea actually.

Haha, waiting can sometimes be so painful, especially when its for a new headphone! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back