Ultrasone Signature DJ
May 4, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,531 of 2,701
My advice is to make some sacrifices, maybe don't go out for 3-4 weekends, save some money & go for TH-900. Although I haven't heard TH-600 it has been my experience that it is that 10% improvement which is the thin line between having very good sound vs. having an Eargasm. After all that is why we are here (on Head-Fi) - for chasing the ultimate sound.
biggrin.gif

Edit (Sorry forgot this is Sig DJ thread) - & please also buy the Sig DJ's so you will have the best of both world's.
beyersmile.png

May 4, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,532 of 2,701
  My advice is to make some sacrifices, maybe don't go out for 3-4 weekends, save some money & go for TH-900. Although I haven't heard TH-600 it has been my experience that it is that 10% improvement which is the thin line between having very good sound vs. having an Eargasm. After all that is why we are here (on Head-Fi) - for chasing the ultimate sound.
biggrin.gif

Edit (Sorry forgot this is Sig DJ thread) - & please also buy the Sig DJ's so you will have the best of both world's.
beyersmile.png

Yea. It's not really THAT huge of a price difference. $500 or so. Even if I need to sell my D2000 for an extra $350, I think I'd be happier in the end. Just work harder this summer :)

It' actually a really exciting prospect, I never thought I'd eventually go top tier like this! I remember when I first bought my Pro 900, I was having serious doubts spending over $200 on a headphone. Boy, have things changed!

Anyways, thanks to all for the suggestions! It's been really helpful to sort this through with you. Sorry to hijack the SIG DJ thread with stuff about the fostex, but I also think it was worth it!

May 4, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #1,534 of 2,701
Shoot for the TH-900,  try to buy new also.  The differences between the Sig series is not a huge gap by any means,  however the open sound of the TH-900 cant be argued.  Be prepared to baby them however they are a delicate headphone that requires some tlc.

I suggest to buy new if possible simply because that's a personal preference.  I am one of these dudes that likes to create a history of my own with a headphone,  a fresh out of the box experience can't be beat IMO.  I prefer to burn in a new hp myself rather than having it pre burnt in by someone else. 

I wouldn't recommend overly enthusiastic headbopping either
biggrin.gif
  Treat them well and they will last for years offering you some of the greatest sound offered by a headphone in current production. 

As others have mentioned the Sig series are stellar in their own right,  the TH-900 just offers better resolution, separation, accuracy etc ....etc.  Trust me I am a huge supporter of the Sig series however in this case the TH-900 beats it ever so slightly in some areas while in other areas it completely overshadows it. 

These are all just personal opinions obviously not to offend anyone.  Bottom line ..... reach for the top if you can swing it,  perhaps at a later date re-visit the whole idea of owning a Sig series based headphone.

My points of reference are based on owning a Sig Pro since just after its release.  For EDM etc both will excel,  the TH-900 in a more sophisticated way though (if that makes any sense to you lol )

I apologize also if I have "hijacked" this thread in any way.

Good luck !  

May 4, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,535 of 2,701
  Shoot for the TH-900,  try to buy new also.  The differences between the Sig series is not a huge gap by any means,  however the open sound of the TH-900 cant be argued.  Be prepared to baby them however they are a delicate headphone that requires some tlc.

I suggest to buy new if possible simply because that's a personal preference.  I am one of these dudes that likes to create a history of my own with a headphone,  a fresh out of the box experience can't be beat IMO.  I prefer to burn in a new hp myself rather than having it pre burnt in by someone else. 

I wouldn't recommend overly enthusiastic headbopping either
biggrin.gif
  Treat them well and they will last for years offering you some of the greatest sound offered by a headphone in current production. 

As others have mentioned the Sig series are stellar in their own right,  the TH-900 just offers better resolution, separation, accuracy etc ....etc.  Trust me I am a huge supporter of the Sig series however in this case the TH-900 beats it ever so slightly in some areas while in other areas it completely overshadows it. 

These are all just personal opinions obviously not to offend anyone.  Bottom line ..... reach for the top if you can swing it,  perhaps at a later date re-visit the whole idea of owning a Sig series based headphone.

My points of reference are based on owning a Sig Pro since just after its release.  For EDM etc both will excel,  the TH-900 in a more sophisticated way though (if that makes any sense to you lol )

I apologize also if I have "hijacked" this thread in any way.

Good luck !  

Again, another wonderfully helpful post. Thank you very much for your input!

May 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #1,536 of 2,701
I think there is something to be said for simply knowing you own one of the best. That's really cool.

With TH-600, you can say something similar, but not on the same level, because there is always that upgrade to be had. It's making more sense to me to just save up a little longer and go for the gold. 
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,537 of 2,701
  I think there is something to be said for simply knowing you own one of the best. That's really cool.

The Best Closed HP for EDM (not one of the best)
wink.gif
. I have heard the LCD-XC, It is good & may even be better than TH-900 for vocal based music, Jazz etc. But for EDM - TH-9
L3000.gif

L3000.gif

May 4, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #1,538 of 2,701

With TH-600, you can say something similar, but not on the same level, because there is always that upgrade to be had. It's making more sense to me to just save up a little longer and go for the gold. 
biggrin.gif

Realizing this is sometimes half the battle.  Either way enjoy the journey
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,540 of 2,701
though I NEVER thought I'd be one of those people spending $1000+ on a headphone!

Such reasonable posture is worn down quite easily here :wink:
Its slice by slice and before you notice you're well beyond the point of diminishing returns. And don't believe that the summit is the end: there is always something interesting on the horizon... owning the TH900 I've started looking at the Signature series (among other things).

The general head-fi greeting to newcomers still holds true I guess... Its mostly a friendly place. Just not for your wallet.

May 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,541 of 2,701
Back off topic... as many of the above posts highlight including Twerk's, this thing is a journey. I think jumping straight from something like Pro-900 to TH-900 may be too fast to appreciate the differences, but each to their own. It took me quite a few purchases and headphones to work out what signature I was after.
I went (approximately) over the last 5 or so years: Shure srh840 -> Beyer T70 -> Pro-900 -> HE-400 -> TH-600. Each and every one seemed like a fairly significant upgrade to me and I was hearing and appreciating new things in my music collection. If you go straight to the 'summit' you're going to miss some of that journey and also you'll still feel the need to 'upgrade' one day - to what, $5k 'phones? There's nothing wrong with lusting after an 'upgrade' but being a realist and putting a hold on it until you can afford it. Its good sometimes to appreciate what you have until you're ready.

To me the TH600 was a  massive step up from the HE-400 in so many ways, and easily worth over 2x the cost. But at the same time I remember being blown away when I first heard the he400s and that planar sound. As I also was when I got my first good pair of studio monitor speakers, until I eventually realised they were far from flat and were being heavily coloured by the acoustics of my room (reflections) - which is why I love headphones so much, the only 'extra' colouration may come from the source.

Anyway, personally knowing that the TH900 are only 5-10% better (or different) than the TH600, they're not different enough for me to upgrade from 600 to 900 (ever). Not interested, period. If I were to go a different route one day it would be to wait for Fostex to bring out something new and even better, or jump to something like LCD-X or Stax SR009. But to me those are not headphones for listening while looking at a computer screen and doing other stuff. They are for closing your eyes and sitting there and doing nothing but listen. Something I don't do very often, and I doubt many of us here do much. So its a bit of a waste IMO.

Anyways, a great home set of 'phones and an enjoyable office set will do me fine.

May 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,542 of 2,701
Many good points... Yes, enjoy the journey. Shortcuts cut you out of a lot of fun. And most of all: enjoy music with what you have at hand, thats what its all about (or at least should be in my opinion, lusting for new toys aside).

May 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,543 of 2,701
  Many good points... Yes, enjoy the journey. Shortcuts cut you out of a lot of fun. And most of all: enjoy music with what you have at hand, thats what its all about (or at least should be in my opinion, lusting for new toys aside).

beerchug.gif

May 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #1,545 of 2,701
  Back off topic... as many of the above posts highlight including Twerk's, this thing is a journey. I think jumping straight from something like Pro-900 to TH-900 may be too fast to appreciate the differences, but each to their own. It took me quite a few purchases and headphones to work out what signature I was after.
I went (approximately) over the last 5 or so years: Shure srh840 -> Beyer T70 -> Pro-900 -> HE-400 -> TH-600. Each and every one seemed like a fairly significant upgrade to me and I was hearing and appreciating new things in my music collection. If you go straight to the 'summit' you're going to miss some of that journey and also you'll still feel the need to 'upgrade' one day - to what, $5k 'phones? There's nothing wrong with lusting after an 'upgrade' but being a realist and putting a hold on it until you can afford it. Its good sometimes to appreciate what you have until you're ready.

To me the TH600 was a  massive step up from the HE-400 in so many ways, and easily worth over 2x the cost. But at the same time I remember being blown away when I first heard the he400s and that planar sound. As I also was when I got my first good pair of studio monitor speakers, until I eventually realised they were far from flat and were being heavily coloured by the acoustics of my room (reflections) - which is why I love headphones so much, the only 'extra' colouration may come from the source.

Anyway, personally knowing that the TH900 are only 5-10% better (or different) than the TH600, they're not different enough for me to upgrade from 600 to 900 (ever). Not interested, period. If I were to go a different route one day it would be to wait for Fostex to bring out something new and even better, or jump to something like LCD-X or Stax SR009. But to me those are not headphones for listening while looking at a computer screen and doing other stuff. They are for closing your eyes and sitting there and doing nothing but listen. Something I don't do very often, and I doubt many of us here do much. So its a bit of a waste IMO.

Anyways, a great home set of 'phones and an enjoyable office set will do me fine.

I agree with a lot of your points. 

I have owned the Pro 900 for over a year, have probably spent 100's of hours listening to them. When I first got them, I thought they were the best thing ever. It took me a long time to see weakness in the sound, mainly midrange. Also, I did own the HE-400 (twice!) and currently a D2000. I've tried many others if you look at my profile (M-100, DT990, Grado 325, Ultrasone 2900, 750, 780, etc).

I agree, it is somewhat about step by step increments so you can appreciate the improvements. I know that it took my ears a while to hear all the little details and extra resolution made possible by the high fidelity equipment that I own. Had I jumped from no headphone experience to a Fostex TH-900, I agree, I probably couldn't fully appreciate the advantages.

I think the TH-600 or Th-900 would be an upgrade that I can appreciate at this point in time. Sticking to the Sub-400 dollar headphones will not likely get me to that NEXT step in soundstage, resolution, separation, etc as MortalCoil mentioned. It will only get me different sound signatures and/or side steps.

In the end, what separates the TH-600 and TH-900 is like 500 dollars, which is significant, but not insane. I think it's worth going for the best you can get, provided you can (like you mentioned) afford it. The upgrade is there in the drivers, 1 tesla vs 1.5 tesla, not to mention the beautiful red earcups. I listen to 90 percent EDM, so it makes sense to go for the best closed EDM can.

Lastly, I'd rather own one world class HP, than 4 great headphones. Others may feel differently. I feel this way because you can only listen to one headphone at a time. The rest you own just sit there on your desk when not being used. It's expensive to own extra inventory. I think people fail to realize this sometimes, but it's an important point when you're tight on funds. I'm still in college, 22 years old, only work (for now) during the summer, and I don't have extra money to throw around.

You mention waiting for Fostex to come out with something better before upgrading, but maybe that "better" (eventually for you) would be the Fostex TH-900. I'm not sure why you would rule out the possibility with a "not interested, period." You may find in a few months or a year that you will be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back