Ultrasone Signature DJ
Apr 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,486 of 2,701
I prefer the DJ to the TH600 overall. I have yet to hear Sig Pro however. The TH900 is not in the same price bracket either.
The TH600 for me seems brittle and not as engaging as the Pro. I will openly admit 50% of my listening is electronic mainly psy-trance, Goa trance, industrial stuff DnB etc.

Looking at your profile I can see why you make the conclusion, your mainly a rock dude. Yeah I don't rate the signature DJ as a top rocvk performer either.

Interesting. I absolutely love my TH600s but I keep craving the Sig DJs atm... have to try them at some point. I think the TH600s are phenomenal with all kinds of electronic music. Soundstage, comfort, detail and sub bass are absolutely perfect IMO. I don't feel the mids are recessed either but I'm not one to focus on mids. The only area I sometimes think could be improved is the mid bass punch and i'd imagine that's where the Ultrasones excel, hence the difference between them (and the great isolation with some soundstage loss being the tradeoff). As long as the highs aren't too shrill/piercing like I remember the Pro900s being but I've heard both Sigs are completely different so I doubt it.

Either way, gotta get a pair of these soon. Just moved into a shared office spare for my freelance work and I don't think my TH600s will cut it for blocking out noise of office music and coworkers when I need to. Plus they'll leak all over the place if I crank them. M100s are fun for commuting but I always miss the clarity of better headphones (and again kick drum punch, they're bassy but a bit muddy). They also get hot on the ears after long periods even with the more comfy XL pads. So SigDJs could be perfect. I just wouldn't DJ in them because I'd be too scared of losing/wrecking them :p

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,487 of 2,701
The Sig Dj sounds fine out of an European capped Ipod classic. But it benefits a lot in all frequency regions from proper amping. Ie harder bass slam bigger soundstage and better instrument separation.
And yes, they are too decent to throw them around carelessly or sweat through the lovely earpads.
The treble is absolutely fine, no comparison to the PRO 900.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,488 of 2,701
I received my Ultrasone Signature DJ 2 days ago. I also happened to receive the Nad Viso HP 50 the same exact day so I've been comparing the two (and also my already burned in DT990 Pros').

The NAD's (haha, great name BTW) are really awesome headphones for the price but unbelievably, after listening to the Ultrasone Signature DJ's, the NAD's sound like $20 headphones. That is how big the difference is. The Signature DJ makes the NAD, and even the DT990 Pro's, sound so shallow and gutless. There is no oomph at all to those phones compared to the Ultrasone. I am simply blown away by the Signature Pro. By FAR the best headphones I have ever heard. They beat the pants off of most of the high end open phones and in the closed arena I can only imagine the TH900s giving them a run for their money. I have heard the T 5 P and they aren't the phones the Ultrasones are.

Needless to say, the NADs are going back. I thought I might keep both to complement each other but there really is no point. I am not going to listen to anything but my Ultrasones, I know that. :)

BTW, the Signature DJ Pros really need no real Ampages. They run great out of a run of the mill iPhone 4. I ran them through my O2 and they sound just as good from the iPhone. The amping didn't give it any benefit at all.

I am keeping the DT990Pros as I still love their open, airy sound with good low end oomph and ambience. I am going to use the money I get from returning the NADs to buy an HD650 which I've wanted to own for ages as my reference open set. I am just afraid that if I buy the 650 that I might go nuts spending money on tube amps. :frowning2:

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #1,489 of 2,701
Gahh I want em so bad now... Next large freelance paycheck it might happen.. But I think I'll needa sell my m100s to justify it. Hell I might sell a bunch of stuff so I don't feel so guilty making such large purchases. Who knows I may eventually sell th600s if I prefer the SDJs and the SDJs are more portable and less fragile.

I'd still prefer if they were black though. But at least they will go pretty well with my MacBook pro setup

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,490 of 2,701
I love how popular the signature dj suddenly became. There is definetly good reason behind it. Like, you know, them sounding amazing.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,491 of 2,701
I am keeping the DT990Pros as I still love their open, airy sound with good low end oomph and ambience. I am going to use the money I get from returning the NADs to buy an HD650 which I've wanted to own for ages as my reference open set. I am just afraid that if I buy the 650 that I might go nuts spending money on tube amps. :frowning2:

Have you heard the HD 650 before ? Reason I am asking is that I bought them without a demo & was very disappointed with them & sold them. Found them very dark , slow & boring.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,492 of 2,701
The HD650 are dark, slower and laid back thats certain - exactly what I though of them on Audition. However they are very smooth and relaxing/euphonic with some of the smooth jazz and dream like post rock I listened to.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,494 of 2,701
I listen to electronic music almost exclusively, dubstep, jungle, breaks, progressive house, etc especially deep bassy stuff and the signature dj is perfect for those genres. I've only heard the lows produced from my library in the same way from high end speakers, certainly never from any other headphones. Other headphones just can't produce bass that you can feel like these can (unless it is crap like Beats that produce horribly loose and ugly sounding bass).

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #1,495 of 2,701
I listen to electronic music almost exclusively, dubstep, jungle, breaks, progressive house, etc especially deep bassy stuff and the signature dj is perfect for those genres. I've only heard the lows produced from my library in the same way from high end speakers, certainly never from any other headphones. Other headphones just can't produce bass that you can feel like these can (unless it is crap like Beats that produce horribly loose and ugly sounding bass).

Yeah, the bass on these is unreal. the bass quantity to impact ratio is soooooo nice, it makes them feel like speakers at times. people prob think im crazy but every once in a while i SWEAR i feel the bass on my body, even if just for a second. i have even experience my vision shaking from some awesome sub bass.

i honestly never thought beats by dre hit hard.... they just sound like a cloud of weak, crappy bass.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #1,496 of 2,701
Gahh I want em so bad now... Next large freelance paycheck it might happen.. But I think I'll needa sell my m100s to justify it. Hell I might sell a bunch of stuff so I don't feel so guilty making such large purchases. Who knows I may eventually sell th600s if I prefer the SDJs and the SDJs are more portable and less fragile.

I'd still prefer if they were black though. But at least they will go pretty well with my MacBook pro setup

May I suggest the the Sig-Pro
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #1,497 of 2,701

May I suggest the the Sig-Pro
evil_smiley.gif

Ah yes, I have thought long and hard about it.. Just doubt they'll have the bass or excitement to satisfy me for listening to electronic stuff.
By all accounts the tastefully boosted bass of the SigDJs is perfect, plus slightly better soundstage and larger more comfy pads (a big one when you're spending a lot of money).
Good looks (and not flashy white) help on the street but I usually were headphones at home or at work anyway. Used to commute on public transport a lot for a while but now I mainly bike everywhere.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #1,498 of 2,701
Ah yes, I have thought long and hard about it.. Just doubt they'll have the bass or excitement to satisfy me for listening to electronic stuff.
By all accounts the tastefully boosted bass of the SigDJs is perfect, plus slightly better soundstage and larger more comfy pads (a big one when you're spending a lot of money).
Good looks (and not flashy white) help on the street but I usually were headphones at home or at work anyway. Used to commute on public transport a lot for a while but now I mainly bike everywhere.

The two Signatures share the same basic construction including the pads. The differences are the drivers, the baffle boards and the color. And yes the sound. DJ has a phenomenal heavy but controlled bass. The PRO has a more neutral bass and a little smaller soundstage, but to me it does mids and treble a little more lively than the DJ. Have both, will likely keep both.......

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,499 of 2,701
The two Signatures share the same basic construction including the pads. The differences are the drivers, the baffle boards and the color. And yes the sound. DJ has a phenomenal heavy but controlled bass. The PRO has a more neutral bass and a little smaller soundstage, but to me it does mids and treble a little more lively than the DJ. Have both, will likely keep both.......

Yeah. Well larger drivers aren't they and slightly more roomy pads I thought. Anyways as much as I'd love both can't afford or justify owning both and I love my th600s too. Sigpros def sound like good allrounders and maybe better for production/monitoring whereas DJs more fun for listening. Listening (and bass particularly) concern me more because my bread & butter is mostly visual and always listening to tunes. If I want some nice neutral studio cans I'd go for Focal spirit pros or 7520s

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #1,500 of 2,701
Well I received my Sig DJ's a few days back. My Portable closed collection includes
  • Senn HD 25-1 II
  • Senn HD25 Aluminum 25th Anniversary edition
  • Beyerdynamic DT 1350
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (Anniversary Ltd Ed, 32 Ohm version).

I like all of them but they are nowhere close to the overall SQ of my fav non-portable closed HP - TH 900. So I kept looking for a closed HP which  will be a  portable version of TH900 (or at least quite close to it) .  Well the search is over.
L3000.gif

Of course the TH 900 is overall a better HP but I cannot take them on a bus, train or plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back