Ultrasone Signature DJ
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #1,471 of 2,701
  I didn't end up getting the Alpha Dogs. My comparison to the TH600 is on page 96.

From the hour I tried an Alpha Dog for here were the differences I heard

Signature DJ
- overall U shaped sound, more prominent treble and bass, however not sibilant like many lower Ultrasone models.
- much more powerful and deeper bass - Alpha dog relatively weak by comparison - the AD is about as bassy as a HD600 from memory YMMV
- fun/energetic and has instant wow factor
- aggressive and punchy, AD was smoother sounding overall
- imaging can sound like its behind you head at times is more 3d to my ears *S Logic at play*
- Smallish soundstage compared to other high end models, but very good seperation
- leaks practically nothing
- easy to power, can be used portably
- snug but comfortable fit
- full lower mids but mine has weaker upper mids where lead guitars, female vocals reside
- some of the best isolation I've ever had on a headphone

AD
- Neutral - trending toward being a little bit bright
- very flat and detailed mids, without any mid bass bump
- Somewhat dryier and thinner overall sound than the DJ
- sounds cleaner than the DJ overall
- seemed a bit more resolving of micro details
- somewhat bigger soundstage and a bit airier
- very complete mids, vocals at no point have any recession from what I had heard
- very very comfortable earpads, headband strap pressure was noticable on my head but no pain
- much heavier as well as being a lot larger
- isolation pretty good but not nearly as good as Sig DJ, wouldn't recommend to use it on the go for size, weight and the fact that the DJ kicks it to the curb for stopping loud noise

I think the AD vs DJ is a very apple to oranges type situation. I'd take the Alpha Dog in a heartbeat for acoustic, classical and Jazz listening due to that superb and very clean / clear midrange. Very much a ideal Neutral sound signature except for a slight treble elevation *which I hear can be cured with the doggie treat mod*. DJ for EDM, Metal (for my tastes), Pop, Rap no contest.

Was going back and forth between the AD's & Sig DJ's for the last couple of weeks. Finally purchased the Sig DJ's today, should get them in a week. Thanks UNIFi and everyone else who posted their feedback / impressions which helped me make a decision (as I am not able to audition both).

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,472 of 2,701
Happy to have convinced someone to try them out, they are under appreciated on headfi. I hope you enjoy them
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,473 of 2,701
  Happy to have convinced someone to try them out, they are under appreciated on headfi. I hope you enjoy them
biggrin.gif

Underappriciated? LOL :D I'm a bit interested in these but I'd hate it if a 759 EUR headphone didn't satisfy my needs and would have to return it...

My only worries is the midrange, it doesn't sound like these offer the in-your-face midrange I tend to like with up-front slightly warm/smooth midrange with non-emphasized highs.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,475 of 2,701

Underappriciated? LOL :D I'm a bit interested in these but I'd hate it if a 759 EUR headphone didn't satisfy my needs and would have to return it...

My only worries is the midrange, it doesn't sound like these offer the in-your-face midrange I tend to like with up-front slightly warm/smooth midrange with non-emphasized highs.

I'll be soon reviewing the DX1000. I think they are the closest to your taste. Not in your face or anything, but midrange oriented, smooth/warm with slamming hard bass for EDM. Nice relaxed treble. Weakness is similar to the slightly honky/weird sound like the W1000X and W5000 can have in the mids.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #1,476 of 2,701
  That's I kept checking the F S/T forum every day for last couple of months & when one popped up for $ 650 I grabbed it. Patience does pay off
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure I want to grab a used one though, especially for the sake of clamping force. I hear these have somewhat harder clamp which is actually what I want but people tend to stretch out the headband when the clamp is hard but I don't want that. xD

I'll be soon reviewing the DX1000. I think they are the closest to your taste. Not in your face or anything, but midrange oriented, smooth/warm with slamming hard bass for EDM. Nice relaxed treble. Weakness is similar to the slightly honky/weird sound like the W1000X and W5000 can have in the mids.

Unsure about that, DX1000 sounds like it's too "distant" / laid-back sounding. I actually want an aggressive/forward/in-your-face without emphasized treble, I don't want dark headphone either, just mids & highs in balance to go with a hefty 8~10dB or so boosted (peak) bass boost. The Ultrasones have the signature if I'd apply slight midrange boost I reckon (thinking the 300 - 2000Hz range) but I'd want to find a headphone which I don't have to use EQ to achieve my preferred sound.

The Q40 that I use now is the first headphone I haven't applied EQing to but I'd want to try something new but obviously it still has to fit my tastes in sound.

This Q40's measured FR which doesn't need any EQing for me (mids and highs sound in balance)

Ultrasone Signature DJ measurement:

Here the midrange do look slightly bit recessed / the highs tiny bit emphasized. Furthermore I despite any present grain in the highs, when it comes to highs I rather take a soft character like Q40 have than shrilly sharp highs. Returned the Yamaha MT220 for example for that reason, while not being a huge amount at all more present in the highs, the character was like night and day compared to Q40, couldn't get into the music at all with that shrilly/raspy character (M50 and Beyers for example has that to a slightly lesser degree as well). "Sennheiser highs" character fits me better, I loved the highs of HD598, very present but soft.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,477 of 2,701

Thats a DX1000 measurement. I'd say the distant feels comes from the extremely deep soundstage. Likewise the bass measurements don't point to how powerful they can be because the bass reverbs off the wood backs a bit.

When you listen to rock that dip in 200-400 HZ makes them sound like a non bassy mid oriented headphone.

I wouldn't risk spending that much if you are unsure that you get what you truly want out of them.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,478 of 2,701

Thats a DX1000 measurement. I'd say the distant feels comes from the extremely deep soundstage. Likewise the bass measurements don't point to how powerful they can be because the bass reverbs off the wood backs a bit.

When you listen to rock that dip in 200-400 HZ makes them sound like a non bassy mid oriented headphone.

I wouldn't risk spending that much if you are unsure that you get what you truly want out of them.

Yea from reading multiple reviews I drew conclusions towards the soundstage depth may be the thing. I've tried headphones that sounded like everything was coming from a distance and I didn't enjoy that. I prefer the vocalist especially to sound like she/he stands right in front of me. I prefer a more intimate sound, soundstage size isn't very important to me, I'd like a bit bigger than Q40 though which is pretty small sized but very up-front sounding. The DX1000 bass also peaks a bit too low for my tastes at 60Hz, ideally I'd want it to peak around 80Hz (roll off after 40Hz or so and in the upper-end between 150-200Hz) for balanced mid and subbass presence. The Q40 and Signature DJ (and Ultrasone PRO900) both peaks at 80Hz. For hardstyle that I listen to that use great deal of both sub and midbass works obviously best when there's equal amount of both (the impact becomes biggest) and that's what I'm striving for, I'm not so much in audible bass (subbass in particular), I more like to feel the bass from fast hard punching beats like Hardstyle can be explained as (quickly pulsating/short attacking bass that fades quickly) so if I can get bass that I feel without actually hearing it then that would be splendid so I could focus more on the mids & highs. :p

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,479 of 2,701
Underappriciated? LOL :D I'm a bit interested in these but I'd hate it if a 759 EUR headphone didn't satisfy my needs and would have to return them.

I auditioned them for almost two weeks and liked them but was not blown away. Great portable but compared to D7000 and TH900 was not in their league.

Plus comfort is a nonstarter for me. I've owned the Sig Pro and comfort of the pads was why I traded them for my D7000.

Actually prefer the Pro900 for both sound and comfort to the DJ.

They are in a strange niche what with the price being high and competition being so good. Probably partly why they are so under appreciated or just not popular.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,480 of 2,701
I prefer the DJ to the TH600 overall. I have yet to hear Sig Pro however. The TH900 is not in the same price bracket either.
The TH600 for me seems brittle and not as engaging as the Pro. I will openly admit 50% of my listening is electronic mainly psy-trance, Goa trance, industrial stuff DnB etc.

Looking at your profile I can see why you make the conclusion, your mainly a rock dude. Yeah I don't rate the signature DJ as a top rocvk performer either.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,481 of 2,701
I will openly admit 50% of my listening is electronic mainly psy-trance, Goa trance, industrial stuff DnB etc.

75% of my listening is psy-trance, Goa trance, Prog Trance. I have the TH 900 & D 5000 with upgraded Martin Rosewood  Cups & Mark L earpads, I love them both but they are not portable. I wanted the best available portable closed cans for my music & thats why I got the S.Dj. Hope they are what I am looking for.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,482 of 2,701
I prefer the DJ to the TH600 overall. I have yet to hear Sig Pro however. The TH900 is not in the same price bracket either.
The TH600 for me seems brittle and not as engaging as the Pro. I will openly admit 50% of my listening is electronic mainly psy-trance, Goa trance, industrial stuff DnB etc.

Looking at your profile I can see why you make the conclusion, your mainly a rock dude. Yeah I don't rate the signature DJ as a top rocvk performer either.

Actually most of my listening is to Smooth Jazz type music, with more prevalent bass than rock music. Heavy bass lines are my preferred sound - self admitted basshead.

My conclusion isn't a conclusion, it's a preference based on side by side listening. As always we all have different preferences.

With a portable amp the DJ is a great solution. Glad you found a headphone you love - it's a good thing to really find that sound you like!

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,483 of 2,701
Yea from reading multiple reviews I drew conclusions towards the soundstage depth may be the thing. I've tried headphones that sounded like everything was coming from a distance and I didn't enjoy that. I prefer the vocalist especially to sound like she/he stands right in front of me. I prefer a more intimate sound, soundstage size isn't very important to me, I'd like a bit bigger than Q40 though which is pretty small sized but very up-front sounding. The DX1000 bass also peaks a bit too low for my tastes at 60Hz, ideally I'd want it to peak around 80Hz (roll off after 40Hz or so and in the upper-end between 150-200Hz) for balanced mid and subbass presence. The Q40 and Signature DJ (and Ultrasone PRO900) both peaks at 80Hz. For hardstyle that I listen to that use great deal of both sub and midbass works obviously best when there's equal amount of both (the impact becomes biggest) and that's what I'm striving for, I'm not so much in audible bass (subbass in particular), I more like to feel the bass from fast hard punching beats like Hardstyle can be explained as (quickly pulsating/short attacking bass that fades quickly) so if I can get bass that I feel without actually hearing it then that would be splendid so I could focus more on the mids & highs. :p

Ah, i know the feeling of the perfect sound signature.

You are hardly gonna get anything but good reviews on this thread haha. I honestly cant think of any other headphones in this price range that have boosted bass but even highs and mids.... One thing i can tell you is that the bass impact of these is pretty awesome in comparison to the amount of bass, so maybe the signature pros would be a better option as they have much more forward mids and less highs, as well as less bass but maybe it wont be as much less as u think?

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,484 of 2,701
I just ordered mine and should get it tomorrow! I can't wait to hear these bad boys.

Are these headphones power hungry? Will I need to get a good amp to drive these well? I have a DX90 on the way and I am hoping the DAC/AMP in that unit will deliver great sound from these headphones without the need for other equipment.

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #1,485 of 2,701
I have the Sig Pro and I too have a DX90 on the way. My X3 drives them fine, so I think the DX90 will be the same. They both do 2.8Vrms or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back