Ultrasone Edition 8
May 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,546 of 2,099
OK,  tried mine, still need to burn it, but first impression is good, the sound is very clear compared to what I used.

But my main concern, I can pull the leather ear pad and see the glue inside easily, well, the pad is not lift up far, but still it's not dead glued. Is that how it supposed to be?

EDIT : Just read a thread, that apparently the leather pad is just lightly glued, and that's the only way to get inside for modding/recabling, and the way to reattach it is put some glue, as the old one wont be sticky enough after you pulled it. Hmm, I'm a bit dissapointed with the way the pad attached, for an expensive phone like this, I thought they should be a better way to do it.

May 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,547 of 2,099
Quote:
You can extend the warranty to five years if you register your edition 8 to ultrasone..

Quote:
^ to 7 years, actually, which is damn good.

Yes, thank you, finally got confirmation email from Ultrasone regarding the warranty, they extended to 7 years.

I was a little bit concern that they wont honor the warranty since I bought it from Ebay, but they do, Im not sure if it depends on the seller whether they're authorized or not, but now Im glad that Im covered.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,548 of 2,099
Jul 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,549 of 2,099
Quote:
Is this warranty transferable?

I don't know about distributors in other countries but with in Japan, it's only transferable to another name/address in Japan, not internationally.

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,550 of 2,099
Quote:

I don't know about distributors in other countries but with in Japan, it's only transferable to another name/address in Japan, not internationally.

Thanks for your response.  That's strange though because I thought that this determination would be set by Ultrasone as opposed to the distributors.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #1,552 of 2,099
Quote:
I purchased my ed8 secondhand from an Australian headfier and I am able to claim the warranty here in New Zealand. However I contacted Ultrasone directly for repair instead of distributors.

Thanks.  That is good to hear.  So it sounds like their warranty is transferable but I guess you need to contact Ultrasone directly to confirm that this is the case all of the time and not only to those that bark the loudest.
redface.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,553 of 2,099
Have been reading this thread with interest and wanted to share my initial impressions of the Rutheniums which arrived last week. My purpose was to find some really good portable cans for my upcoming trip to Europe and future trips. I want a pair that works straight out of my iphone and ipad without the need of a portable amp to make them shine. I listen mainly to classical, some rock, and all Apple Lossless files.

Like many, I was underwhelmed when I first heard them because of the lack of bass which made their presentation sound thin, even though their surprising soundstage, refined tone and great detail were immediately apparent.

Slowly, however, the bass has started to blossom and the presentation has become fuller and more balanced. (Does burn in really exist, was it my brain adjusting to a different sound signature from my HDS650s, or did the seal tighten up?) Whichever, the sound quality is now exquisite.

I'm not sure how I can justify the price (got them new for $1118 on Amazon) but heck we only live once, and their sound is truly intoxicating. I'm amazed at the quality the ED8s can draw out of my iPad. It reminds me of my old Rio Karma days.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,554 of 2,099
Quote:
Have been reading this thread with interest and wanted to share my initial impressions of the Rutheniums which arrived last week. My purpose was to find some really good portable cans for my upcoming trip to Europe and future trips. I want a pair that works straight out of my iphone and ipad without the need of a portable amp to make them shine. I listen mainly to classical, some rock, and all Apple Lossless files.

Like many, I was underwhelmed when I first heard them because of the lack of bass which made their presentation sound thin, even though their surprising soundstage, refined tone and great detail were immediately apparent.

Slowly, however, the bass has started to blossom and the presentation has become fuller and more balanced. (Does burn in really exist, was it my brain adjusting to a different sound signature from my HDS650s, or did the seal tighten up?) Whichever, the sound quality is now exquisite.

I'm not sure how I can justify the price (got them new for $1118 on Amazon) but heck we only live once, and their sound is truly intoxicating. I'm amazed at the quality the ED8s can draw out of my iPad. It reminds me of my old Rio Karma days.

You could have tried the Pro 900 first, just so you can hear the difference in the Bass presentation.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #1,555 of 2,099
Is there a replacement for the eat cups? After HD800, LCD2 and T1, I can not get use to this narrow shape ear cups.
The sound is leaking from the front and back of the ear cups. I guess glass is not the only thing, even when I remove the glass, my long hair is also getting the way. Any one has any procedure about how to adjusting the phone to get the idea seal?

When I properly sealed it, I do get a much better over sounding out of it, so please help me~~~~

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #1,556 of 2,099
Quote:

You could have tried the Pro 900 first, just so you can hear the difference in the Bass presentation.

I have the Pro 900 now and I LOVE them.  But I am also very interested in upgrading to a pair of Ed8's.

How should I expect if I upgrade to the Ed8's?  I will be pairing them up with the Fiio E17 and iPod Touch 3G or MBP.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,557 of 2,099
Quote:
I have the Pro 900 now and I LOVE them.  But I am also very interested in upgrading to a pair of Ed8's.

How should I expect if I upgrade to the Ed8's?  I will be pairing them up with the Fiio E17 and iPod Touch 3G or MBP.

Thanks in advance.

I "upgraded" from the Pro 900 to the Ed8. It's just different. You can expect a smoother sound, like silk, and beautiful. There is less bass for sure, they are more in balance, but still pack a nice bass wallop. I think the Ed8 is more versatile with the diversity of music it can handle. I reserved the 900 mostly for electronica. And still, you might prefer the 900 over the Ed8 if you listen to a lot of bass-heavy music. The high end is not as harsh and hot on the Ed8, and the mid is more forward and smoother as well. 

The Edition 8 scales nicely with a good amp. If you're going to spend that kind of dough on phones, you don't want to bottle-neck your sound with the Fiio amp. It'll be a good starter amp, but be open to upgrading your amp as well. Look at the Ray Samuels Mustang P-51 amp. Regarded by a few to be the best portable amp for the Ed8. It's what I rock. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,558 of 2,099
SoundFreaq, thanks for sharing your experience.  The primary music that I listen to is electronica/trance but I am starting to branch off to other music including female vocals, current R&B pop, classical, easy listening, etc.

I do like bass but not necessarily a bass head.  I also like the highs, actually very much so I wonder if too much of that will be taken off with the Ed8's.

The Fiio E17 is my first amp.  I use it as a portable and at home with the MBP.  I do intend to upgrade some time in the future and it would be great if I can get a portable that is good enough for me to use at home with the MBP as well.  I will look into the Mustang P-51 if I get the Ed8.

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,559 of 2,099
I would personally go with a slightly stronger amp.  I heard the mustang once right when it was introduced but that was a while back.  The RSA sound is very warm generally though so be aware of that.  I use mine with the Fostex HP-P1 out which wouldn't work with a MP and also line out to a Headamp Pico standard which is a little more analytical and much more detailed than my RSA Hornet M.  I am on the list for the new Pico Power, which will replace the pico if i can deal with a slightly more bulky amp.  I don't know if i would settle for such a tiny amp if i was using it for home applications too, unless you are a real stickler for a tiny sized amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back