Ultrasone Edition 8
Mar 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,471 of 2,099
Got the Ruthenium ones. They were the only ones that the shop I ordered from had. I think that the other ones are better looking but definitely not worth the price. (I don't even know if the ones I got are)

Which ones do you have? 

Quote:
Oh, whoops, I misinterpreted that, yeah.  It would still take some real effort not to look like class while wearing that Ed. 8's, though.

Which ones did you order? 

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,473 of 2,099
The Palladiums, but I find myself wishing I had the Limited sometimes.  From pictures I've seen, the ruthenium finish seems to do wonderful things in different light levels I wasn't initially aware of.  My Palladiums are also prone to tarnish from, get this, contact with human skin.  It comes off with Brasso, though.  I was concerned for a time that I had messed up the brush work, but, after referencing several pictures I realized mine still looked completely normal.  I've been told it's not an issue inherent to all Palladiums, just a bad batch that I was unlucky enough to get.  I might return that at some point in the next 7 years (the warranty period after you register them), but for now I can deal with the maintenance as I use them all the time. 

BESIDES THAT AWFUL DEFECT, though, they're lovely.  I find myself staring at them on their stand while I'm trying to get things done.  The Palladium finish around their curves looks almost too smooth to be a solid object; I'm actually finding it hard to describe at the moment...

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,474 of 2,099
Stupid me, I should have looked.

It's kinda funny that some people can't even spend 200$ on headphones and some people pay 200$ for some details. I don't mean that in a bad way or anything. 

I can't wait to hear these though and see how the look once on my head since I plan on using them outside from time to time. Maybe I'll be too scared to wear $1200+ on my head walking on the streets, I don't know. 

@driver8 Yea, these are by far the best looking headphones I've seen and that's what caught my attention at first. I was really glad to see (read a lot of reviews and impressions)  that they had pretty good sound quality too.

I hope they won't draw too much attention though, I don't like when strangers just stare at me, it happened all the time when I had Beats a few years ago. 
Quote:
I would guess from his profile that he has palladium.  When I ordered my LE's, they were $200 more than Ruthenium so it was worth the difference in price (factoring in the walnut inlay, matte finish, and great case.)

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,475 of 2,099
I use my LCD-2 at home when i have time to listen to music... one per week at most now (baby and wife in master degree)

I use Edition 8 at work everyday, 6+ hours, and I do love them. Isolation, portability and sound are very very good.

Let us know if you like them :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,476 of 2,099
Will do. :)

Looks like we're using the same setup as well. Except that I have the HE-500 and you the LCD-2. I really wanna try the LCD-2 one day. 

Quote:
I use my LCD-2 at home when i have time to listen to music... one per week at most now (baby and wife in master degree)

I use Edition 8 at work everyday, 6+ hours, and I do love them. Isolation, portability and sound are very very good.

Let us know if you like them :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,477 of 2,099
In my experience the Edition 8's attract far less attention than the Beats.  Besides brand recognition (which is nonexistent in the case of the 8's), the Ultrasone's elegance is quite natural/effortless.  Subconsciously, people were drawn to your Beats because they made you look like a clown, but the brand recognition assured them they were looking at something fashionable.   Aesthetically, this is pretty much like comparing an expensive pair of Nike's to an expensive pair of dress shoes.  The former will get you more immediate attention, but the later is far more prone to get the sort of attention you'd actually want.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,478 of 2,099
Haha! The clown part made me laugh, but I completely agree with you. Can't wait. 
Quote:
In my experience the Edition 8's attract far less attention than the Beats.  Besides brand recognition (which is nonexistent in the case of the 8's), the Ultrasone's elegance is quite natural/effortless.  Subconsciously, people were drawn to your Beats because they made you look like a clown, but the brand recognition assured them they were looking at something fashionable.   Aesthetically, this is pretty much like comparing an expensive pair of Nike's to an expensive pair of dress shoes.  The former will get you more immediate attention, but the later is far more prone to get the sort of attention you'd actually want.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,479 of 2,099
Meh, people are so desensitized (and self-involved) that most I've come into contact with don't notice one way or the other.  A couple years ago I took a stack onto a transcontinental flight with recabled ED9's.  I was expecting the person sharing the row with me to make a passing comment.  Then he turned away to ask the stewardess something and I was shocked.  He was totally bald, and he had a tattoo of his face on the back of his head.  How could my Headphones-plated-with-exotic-whatever compete with that?

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,480 of 2,099

Quote:
Stupid me, I should have looked.

It's kinda funny that some people can't even spend 200$ on headphones and some people pay 200$ for some details. I don't mean that in a bad way or anything. 

I can't wait to hear these though and see how the look once on my head since I plan on using them outside from time to time. Maybe I'll be too scared to wear $1200+ on my head walking on the streets, I don't know. 

@driver8 Yea, these are by far the best looking headphones I've seen and that's what caught my attention at first. I was really glad to see (read a lot of reviews and impressions)  that they had pretty good sound quality too.

I hope they won't draw too much attention though, I don't like when strangers just stare at me, it happened all the time when I had Beats a few years ago. 

For the Ruthenium version besides being a bit shiny I don't think they draw that much attention, especially they are surprisingly compact and the design is minimalist.  Sure they look really unique (because they aren't Beats or Bose) and on close examination some knowledge people would see the material being top class (the leather and solid aluminium would be very telling) but I don't think wearing these $1200 headphone is that flashy, especially its worth is not very well known to non-audiophiles because it's not a highly advertised brand.  I suspect carrying an iPad/iPhone in your hands while listening to a pair of Beats Studio would lead to a higher chance of getting mugged more so than wearing the ED8, even though their total worth is less than a pair of ED8s.  

Plus I think we can thank the Beats crowd now that wearing big flashy headphones is more acceptable, so I think the ED8 would be fine.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,481 of 2,099
Appreciate the input Nanoholic. 

I got a call today from the seller telling me they won't be here until the end of next week, it's killing me! :) 

I sure could have used the isolation today, my girlfriend had some friends over and well, you know how annoying and loud a group of girls in their early twenties can get. :wink: 

Anyway, I just have to wait now but I have a hard time seeing how these could impress me more than the HE-500, they are amazing. We'll see. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #1,482 of 2,099
Just got these today. Of course I haven't listened to them long enough to judge them yet. 

They are a lot smaller than I had expected, which is good. My ears fit in the ear cups but they wouldn't if they were a tiny bit bigger, so I got kinda "lucky" there. 

I will post my first impressions tonight or tomorrow but one thing is for sure, vocals sound very thin compared to the HE-500, which is disappointing. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #1,483 of 2,099

Quote:
Just got these today. Of course I haven't listened to them long enough to judge them yet. 

They are a lot smaller than I had expected, which is good. My ears fit in the ear cups but they wouldn't if they were a tiny bit bigger, so I got kinda "lucky" there. 

I will post my first impressions tonight or tomorrow but one thing is for sure, vocals sound very thin compared to the HE-500, which is disappointing. 

The HE-500's midrange and in fact, overall presentation is much more upfront compared to the Ed8s. So they're different.

The gigantic planar drivers of the HE500s are angled right into your ears whilst the Ed8s dynamic drivers are far smaller and are placed off center thus the reduced intensity of voices and vocal imaging.

Take awhile to digest the differences in presentation and signature.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,485 of 2,099
Yea, I have 2 weeks to try them out. If I don't like them more than I do now I'll return them and just keep my IEMs for portable and get the HD800 or maybe T1 instead. 

Quote:

The HE-500's midrange and in fact, overall presentation is much more upfront compared to the Ed8s. So they're different.

The gigantic planar drivers of the HE500s are angled right into your ears whilst the Ed8s dynamic drivers are far smaller and are placed off center thus the reduced intensity of voices and vocal imaging.

Take awhile to digest the differences in presentation and signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back