Ultrasone Edition 8
Mar 2, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #1,756 of 2,099
Quote:
The biggest Qns! Is it worth the price jump? Side note: Does it need an amp and hw wld it benefit frm one?

Do you mean the edition 8? If that's the case, worth the price jump is subjective. I don't believe they really benefit from amplification (again, based on other's descriptions).  If you don't mind me asking why are locked into the edition 8? There's a lot of other really good headphones at this price range to consider. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #1,757 of 2,099
Well
Do you mean the edition 8? If that's the case, worth the price jump is subjective. I don't believe they really benefit from amplification (again, based on other's descriptions).  If you don't mind me asking why are locked into the edition 8? There's a lot of other really good headphones at this price range to consider. 

That's great suggestions. Btw bass is really Impt im a bass head but not those bass only don't care other things person. So I am not a hd800 fan cos its thin and less than usual bass. I am gearing for more than usual bass

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,758 of 2,099
Well

That's great suggestions. Btw bass is really Impt im a bass head but not those bass only don't care other things person. So I am not a hd800 fan cos its thin and less than usual bass. I am gearing for more than usual bass

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,759 of 2,099
You might also want to check on the Ultrasone Signature DJ. Seems to be the perfect cultivated basshead can.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,760 of 2,099
You might also want to check on the Ultrasone Signature DJ. Seems to be the perfect cultivated basshead can.
I did just that no more than 30 mins ago. I've always liked the Ed8 design & had the Ed8LE for many months.

However I still feel the Signature DJ gives a more wholesome sound. I just wish they could put the SigDJ sound in the Ed8 design.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,761 of 2,099
Yes, as I am in Germany, I was thinking about calling them and ask if they could make a DJ with the PRO housing. But then I went for a used PRO and even that one has enough bass for me. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,762 of 2,099
@Anakchan and peitcux

I heard many recommendations for the Signature DJ (Including Craigster75 and you two) but I was put off by the fact that
they are not available in my country (No Demo) and there isnt exactly a place that sells
them too. However, i would read up on them and if they continue to intrigue me, i would
ring up my local store because there is a Ultrasone Distributor in Singapore but not a store
that sells the Sig Dj. Sigh.

Thx for all your help!

Sidenote: So the Ed.8 Rival is Ultrasone's own Sig Dj. -.-

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,763 of 2,099
Quote:
@Anakchan and peitcux

I heard many recommendations for the Signature DJ (Including Craigster75 and you two) but I was put off by the fact that
they are not available in my country (No Demo) and there isnt exactly a place that sells
them too. However, i would read up on them and if they continue to intrigue me, i would
ring up my local store because there is a Ultrasone Distributor in Singapore but not a store
that sells the Sig Dj. Sigh.

Thx for all your help!

Sidenote: So the Ed.8 Rival is Ultrasone's own Sig Dj. -.-

For my taste, I find the Sig DJ superior to the ED8.  There is exceptional detail, extension and air without any harshness or unnatural brightness.  Vocals seem more natural, lifelike and transparent to me.  Listening to live recordings from female vocalists like Norah Jones and Natalie Merchant is a real treat.  While the bass of the Sig DJ is more present than the ED8, it is not intrusive to my ears.  As a result, I find them optimal for nearly every genre with the exception of classic rock due to slightly recessed lower mids where male vocals are too distant.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,764 of 2,099
Quote:
Well

Well there's different kinds of 'bass heads'. Some people just like boomy bass that is just uncontrolled and bassy. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,765 of 2,099
Quote:

You haven't heard the edition 8 but you don't believe they benefit from amplification, really......  I have owned a pair for several years and they thrive on different amplification, i actually use them to judge which portable amp to buy.  I have a decent assortment of headphones and the Edition 8 gets probably the second most head time, one of the best headphone investments that i have made over years on headfi.  You also suggest to someone interested that there are a lot of other headphones in that range to consider.  I think you need to hear them before giving others advice.
blink.gif
  You can't even sense if the price jump is subjected because without hearing them, you are just plain not qualified to make that statement, sorry.

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #1,766 of 2,099
Quote:
You haven't heard the edition 8 but you don't believe they benefit from amplification, really......  I have owned a pair for several years and they thrive on different amplification, i actually use them to judge which portable amp to buy.  I have a decent assortment of headphones and the Edition 8 gets probably the second most head time, one of the best headphone investments that i have made over years on headfi.  You also suggest to someone interested that there are a lot of other headphones in that range to consider.  I think you need to hear them before giving others advice.
blink.gif
  You can't even sense if the price jump is subjected because without hearing them, you are just plain not qualified to make that statement, sorry.

Just trying to help out on a rather rare headphone. Did I not make it clear I hadn't heard them? Feel free to jump in and chime in from experience.  If you're ever able to hear a large variety of headphones and play with them you'll understand better what "benefits from amplification" really means. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,767 of 2,099
Tru
You haven't heard the edition 8 but you don't believe they benefit from amplification, really......  I have owned a pair for several years and they thrive on different amplification, i actually use them to judge which portable amp to buy.  I have a decent assortment of headphones and the Edition 8 gets probably the second most head time, one of the best headphone investments that i have made over years on headfi.  You also suggest to someone interested that there are a lot of other headphones in that range to consider.  I think you need to hear them before giving others advice.:blink:   You can't even sense if the price jump is subjected because without hearing them, you are just plain not qualified to make that statement, sorry.

True that! So what I the Hp u have that gets the most head time!

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,770 of 2,099
Quote:

Just trying to help out on a rather rare headphone. Did I not make it clear I hadn't heard them? Feel free to jump in and chime in from experience.  If you're ever able to hear a large variety of headphones and play with them you'll understand better what "benefits from amplification" really means. 

I have heard a large variety of headphones being that I have been at most major headphone meets in the Los Angeles area over six years including the international meet.  Also smaller meets in private homes.  The last one I was at was at LAx Hilton and I had a table full of equipment there.  So I know what benefits from application means.  I own seven amplifiers now and another is on the way fgs.  Look at my profile, and even that is not totally complete.

In any case, owning the headphone in question I would assume that I would have a better grasp of the benefits of amplification than someone who has never even heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back