Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #391 of 461
Creeps me out so much that I would maybe buy it. :) Jokes aside, the Edition 10, IMO, sounds "okay" off of good amp synergy, but just ok doesn't cut it at $3000.
Kiteki, could you describe what you heard on the Ed8, Ed10, and T5p? Impressions of these are rare. (I read your diary/log but wouldn't mind more details, pretty please? :wink: )

IMO, for classical, a HD800/T1/T5p (the latter not so much) would be ideal.

JB

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #392 of 461
I heard a demo pair of Edition 10s.  They sound very different than any can I have heard, very bright and tin-cannish.  I guess they were pretty detailed and had a wide sound stage but the sound signature was such a departure from stuff I had heard already they kinda sounded confused.  I will say this though, they are absolutely beautiful and probably the most light, most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.  

Given their gorgeous appearance and departure from reference level sound, I'd say they were meant to be a collectors item rather than a reference level headphone (despite what ultrasone says about them on their site).  Priced at 3k, I doubt anyone would be using it as their primary headphone or not have a whole slew of other headphones to listen to for enjoyment.  That being said, I'd say Tyll's review is a little exaggerated but I understand where he is coming from.  They certainly aren't the worst sounding or worst value I have come across especially if you look at it like its a piece of artwork rather than audiotechnical marvel.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #396 of 461

Quote:
Hey guys please rescind my club membership as I sold my 'Sones to the company store.  (sixteen hundreds, what do you get, another placeholder and deeper in debt...)

Lol! I thought you said you got yours for $1299 from RMC. The way I see it... you made money bro! .... Sounds like you got a awesome business going

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #399 of 461

Quote:
The edition 8 LE..  is ridiculously scratch prone..  What?
I thought ruthenium's are 'durable' and scratch resistant

Mine are a year old and absolutely mint....and they've seen their share of action.

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #401 of 461
Yeah I have had zero scratching issues as well.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #402 of 461
Mine is almost two weeks old.

Had to glue back the wood inlay coz it popped out.

Brought them to a tiny mint-meet yesterday and had several micro scuffs and one long one. Considering we are a small crowd of 9 ppl, with expensive-like-crazy gear. Everyone were extra cautious around each other's gear.

And I really don't buy into the whole, Ethiopian high grade leather, no conditioner or leather-care product needed, ever.

Lol. Lucky they do sound good. Which I find funny because prior to getting them I was worried their sound quality might not be up to scratch, and ironically their sound is the only saving grace. The build is really disappointing from a 2k headphone.

Maybe I'm just nit-picking.

Or expecting too much from these headphones

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #405 of 461
I have a little scuff and scratch if you look at it from the right angle with reading glasses.  Gotta say i was kinda pissed but the sound is what matters, and i can't really see it unless i put it up to light and look really closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back