Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Nov 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #286 of 2,110

Quote:
that's the right thing to do.Eventhough I find the ED10 are better than the ED9 mod in all points,I still love the Bass of ED9 mod so much,even it's not as extend and detail as the bass of the ED10,but for Bass-Head  like me only JH16 can make me feel this way,  it really rocks.Most people may say the ED9's bass Boomy,but after you recable them ,the bass tighten up a bit and you still have this huge Bass quantity,which not easily found in the another headphones. 

I agree that the bass of the Edition 9 is very powerful, but lacks the refinement. I auditioned the JH16 once and found the bass to be comparable to the E9. The JH13's bass does not have the impact of the JH16. In your opinion, is it a good choice to recable the E9 or convert the E9 to balanced. If recable, then which cable mod do you think is better? Thank you and have a pleasant day ahead!

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #287 of 2,110
I would love some comparisons with the LCD-2 or other orthos
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #288 of 2,110
@Dynamic74 About the ED9 recabling I will ask the  guy who owns the ED9 mod and tell you soon ,how he manages to mod and recable his ED9.

@Oqvist  The ED10 is certainly better than the HE5 and HE5LE,but sadly we don't have the LCD2 around here,we are going to ask the Guy who has the LCD2 to join the meeting,but I don't know if he will come. Like Choochoo said before we will have the Stax O2 MkI to compare with the ED10 and then you can have a rough picture to compare between them.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #289 of 2,110

Quote:
I agree that the bass of the Edition 9 is very powerful, but lacks the refinement. I auditioned the JH16 once and found the bass to be comparable to the E9. The JH13's bass does not have the impact of the JH16. In your opinion, is it a good choice to recable the E9 or convert the E9 to balanced. If recable, then which cable mod do you think is better? Thank you and have a pleasant day ahead!

I own the Edtion 9 and have them recbaled with APS V3 in balanced mode. Thr recable job helps the Edition 9 to clean up the sound a little bit more and tight up the bass. Balancing them didn't do much of a difference. If you have a fully balanced system then do it at the same time of recableing otherwise I won't do it. In order to take advange of balancing the headphones you need to have a source, DAC and amplifier balanced otherwise youare not taking full advantage.

Regarding which cable to use. Iused the APS V3 becuase at that time that was the best in my mind and i had previous experience with it. Now things have changed and after recabling my DX1000 and D7000 I will chenge the cable on my Edition 9 from the APS to the OCC copper Zeus cable from Aphroditecu29.com I have it in my T1 and they sound incredible. I also have a test cable for my HD800 and I am comparing it to the DHC Complement that I own. They sound basically the same and the Zeus is less than half the price and a fraction of the weight.
I also made a comparison in a LCD-2 using the stock cable, a Wiplash cable and a Zeus cable. IMO the LCD-2 with the Zeus sounded better than the other.

The Zeus is made of WireWorld wires of continious cast copper so you know you are getting top materials and Robert's craftmanship is superb.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #291 of 2,110
Nov 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #292 of 2,110
Nov 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #293 of 2,110

Quote:
Post of the day. Might have to sig that actually, once I figure out how much trouble I might get into by doing so. 
wink_face.gif

Ha, I can't believe you actually put that in your sig

They actually don't look too bad from this angle, kinda like all those Fat Girl Angle Shots:

edit: now that I think about it, the picture looks like someone just got a pair of headphones for communion. No wonder they cost so much.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #295 of 2,110

Quote:
edit: now that I think about it, the picture looks like someone just got a pair of headphones for communion. No wonder they cost so much.

That's a hilarious picture. The person holding them looks like he's really uncomfortable with something that expensive, passing it off to the person next to him.

"Here-- you take it!"

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #296 of 2,110
today I heard ED10  and ED8 with whiplash Cable paired with Weiss 202 and then with Combo Concerto and Stagedac.

What I have to say is that ,ED10 were superior to the ED8 ,not just one class but at least one and  a half Class above. When I heard the ED10 ,it's like the music seems so real especially when paired with Weiss202.
Then I changed to the Stagedac and Concerto,now I know why Weiss202 costs so much.I want to say it was night and day if you compare Weiss202 to the Meier Combo.I don't want to dig deep to detail,cuz I am not quite good at describing something,but for a normal guy who only likes to hear good  music, Weiss202 outclasses the Meier combo like the ED10 outclass the ED8. 

Then I tried the HD800 with this expensive DAC,HD800 sounds dry and lifeless,now I can state that the ED10 are in different class compared to the HD800.I think 8 out of 10 persons,who try both would feel like me (and I don't know what kind of music the  2 guys listen to and how could they say the HD800 are better phones than the ED10 :p ) .Note that I have heard HD800 many times with different rigs. 

The last time I went to BusinessJJ store I heard ED10 through the MeierCombo and I am quite impressed by a very good sound ,they reproduced,but It didn't make me consider buying them (as I mentioned before about the price).Now after hundreds hours of burning in and with a better equipment, the ED10 really shine ,it makes me rethink about selling my ED8 and T1 to raise the fund.
The better equipments, you have ,the more you get from the ED10 and the bigger different between these phones and another phones(I haven't had a chance to hear the O2,KIng of Dynamic headphones from Sony and HE90,but I have heard and owned many headphones and I can say no other phones come close)   

Next month I will recieve my LCD2 ,I hope they will come close  to or better than the ED10,but I don't expect that,cuz I read many threads here and I have some pictures in my head about  how LCD2 sound. 

Compared to the JTwagged H13 and Twaged JH16.It's not quite fair here cuz I used WhipMod+Whiplod reference+Stepdance ,but ED10 with Weiss202.
The ED10 are far better,there is no comparision here.JH16 used to be the headphones ,which impressed me the most in the past (I'm a Basshead),but now  ED10 show me how the real music sounds like.

I want to say  well done to  the future owners of the ED10, you guys  really make a  great decision.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #297 of 2,110

Quote:
(paraphrased)
I can state that the ED10 are in different class compared to the HD800... Next month I will recieve my LCD2 ,I hope they will come close  to or better than the ED10,but I don't expect that,cuz I read many threads here and I have some pictures in my head about  how LCD2 sound...
The ED10 are far better,there is no comparision here.JH16 used to be the headphones ,which impressed me the most in the past (I'm a Basshead),but now  ED10 show me how the real music sounds like.

A different class than the HD800, no comparison to the JH16... I smell major FOTM here.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #298 of 2,110

Quote:

A different class than the HD800, no comparison to the JH16... I smell major FOTM here.

x2. I'm taking impressions like these with a grain of salt. coolcat did qualify his statements by mentioning he is a basshead (which I'm not), so it's normal that opinions would probably differ between us.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #299 of 2,110
yeah right leave it as a grain of salt.All I want to say is that you have to hear them yourself.Maybe I'm so impressed with the Ed10.
I'm really a basshead,I really love the Jh16 and as I heard the Ed9 mod ,I wanted to buy them immediatly ,if I have enough money :p.
The ED10 are not the Basshead headphones ,but overall they are superior than those I meantioned above.That's why I said that.
Guys I know what I'm saying it sounds like crazy ,but it's just me.
Hope you have a chance to hear the ED10 soon.I want to know someone else impression too.
Just wait and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back