Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Nov 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #301 of 2,110

Quote:

A different class than the HD800, no comparison to the JH16... I smell major FOTM here.

Today I didn´t hear the ED 10. It sounded really crappy. Not worth the money at all. Was that a better review for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Look forward to when you get the LCD-2 to compare with coolcat.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #302 of 2,110

Quote:
I still can't see how a pair of headphones maybe ten people on this forum are going to end up owning can be considered "FoTM."

well,if you purchase something that expensive,"some" people will try to justify their purchase so they will just use some annoying expressions.also on headfi the exaggerattion is gross,so if someone said its in a whole other level,then take it with huge grain of salt.i have been bitten with FOTM and exagerattion many times because of other headfiers unrealistic impressions,which is a shame thing,really.

i am waiting to read the impressions of Skylab because he tends to be honest and unbiased in his reviews and he had no problem bashing L3000 which he bought from his own money.

anyone beside me think that the ED10 looks like a car rims?i find it very ugly and the edition8 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better looking.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #303 of 2,110
Shows how subjective looks can be. I think the Ed. 10s are one of the, if not the, best-looking headphones available.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #304 of 2,110

Quote:
Shows how subjective looks can be. I think the Ed. 10s are one of the, if not the, best-looking headphones available.

Agreed.
smile.gif

The best looking that I own (by far) are the Edition 8 Limited Edition. Not only look, but feel...they just exude quality of construction.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #305 of 2,110

Quote:

i am waiting to read the impressions of Skylab because he tends to be honest and unbiased in his reviews and he had no problem bashing L3000 which he bought from his own money.

This kind of thinking, to me, is problematic. It reads like you're dismissing some reviews as needing to be "taken with a grain of salt" because they're enthusiastic and positive, while claiming that other reviews are more honest somehow because they bash a certain headphone.

I agree that Skylab's reviews are really top notch and that he puts a lot of effort and thought into them. He has a lot of respect around here, and he certainly deserves it. However I think it's wrong to automatically dismiss the other reviews that have been posted here as being somehow untruthful or deceptive just because the people posting them are enthusiastic about their purchase.

It's probably a sound idea to approach reviews with caution when a lot of money is involved, yes. There is unfortunately truth to the assertion that people have buyer's remorse and will, on occasion, exaggerate the worthiness of a product in an attempt to feel better about said purchase or, in the worst case, maliciously trick others into making the same mistake.

I think some people around these parts have a tendency to overdo these accusations however. All opinions expressed in our hobby--whether they're made by someone with a post count of 3 or by Skylab--- are merely preference. All preferences should be taken with a grain of salt. That should be the first law of our hobby, a guiding principle we carry with us at all times lest we get buffeted about by the winds of passing fancy.

Being able to criticize a product in spite of the money invested in it is surely the sign of honesty, but not doing so isn't automatically a sign of dishonesty. In the end, the only way to know for sure is to listen for yourself. Basing your opinion off of one glowingly positive review is in no way more folly than basing it off of any other one review, in my humble opinion.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #306 of 2,110

Quote:
... if you purchase something that expensive,"some" people will try to justify their purchase ...  

I understand completely.  I have a pair of Ed 10s on order (about two weeks away here in the US, my guy tells me) and I'll be honest about them when I get them, I promise.  I'm not a FOTM person.  Proof: I bought - full price, with my own money - the T1, the AH-D7000, the HD800, and the LCD-2, and I don't hesitate to say I didn't like any of them except the HD800.  More than the price of the Ed 10 wasted right there, and I'm ready to admit it.  And I would say that the LCD-2 (at least) has a pretty strong FOTM thing going on here, so I'm not embarrassed to be different.

And again - slightly OT, I know, but hey - "expensive" is relative.  I know a guy who likes gardening ... if he spent $2800 on his front yard landscaping, he'd be called a heroic skinflint.  My brother likes his ten-year-old Porsche, and he found a guy who can do the major service for about three grand, and thinks of himself as very smart with his dough.  I like headphone listening, and if the Ed 10 beats my HD800, I'll call it the bargain of the decade.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #307 of 2,110

Quote:
I understand completely.  I have a pair of Ed 10s on order (about two weeks away here in the US, my guy tells me) and I'll be honest about them when I get them, I promise.  I'm not a FOTM person.  Proof: I bought - full price, with my own money - the T1, the AH-D7000, the HD800, and the LCD-2, and I don't hesitate to say I didn't like any of them except the HD800.  More than the price of the Ed 10 wasted right there, and I'm ready to admit it.  And I would say that the LCD-2 (at least) has a pretty strong FOTM thing going on here, so I'm not embarrassed to be different.

And again - slightly OT, I know, but hey - "expensive" is relative.  I know a guy who likes gardening ... if he spent $2800 on his front yard landscaping, he'd be called a heroic skinflint.  My brother likes his ten-year-old Porsche, and he found a guy who can do the major service for about three grand, and thinks of himself as very smart with his dough.  I like headphone listening, and if the Ed 10 beats my HD800, I'll call it the bargain of the decade.

I agree with most of your post...but the LCD-2s are now the furthest thing from FOTM...they were released in May and it's now November and they are going just as strong as ever with owner interest and enthusiasm. I do own the Edition 8LE, T1, HD800s, RS1i, and LCD-2s. The best headphones that I've heard to date are the LCD-2s w/ Moon Audio Silver Dragon aftermarket cable. For me, they are just that great and true to life sounding.

I can certainly understand that no headphone will be for everybody and why some would prefer the HD800s (especially with a good copper aftermarket cable). However, for my wallet's sake, I'm hoping you don't like the Ed. 10s as much as your HD800s.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #308 of 2,110

Quote:
I agree with most of your post...but the LCD-2s are now the furthest thing from FOTM...they were released in May and it's now November and they are going just as strong as ever with owner interest and enthusiasm. I do own the Edition 8LE, T1, HD800s, RS1i, and LCD-2s. The best headphones that I've heard to date are the LCD-2s w/ Moon Audio Silver Dragon aftermarket cable. For me, they are just that great and true to life sounding.

I can certainly understand that no headphone will be for everybody and why some would prefer the HD800s (especially with a good copper aftermarket cable). However, for my wallet's sake, I'm hoping you don't like the Ed. 10s as much as your HD800s.
tongue_smile.gif

I disagree a little bit ... in that the LCD-2 is still in short supply and still has a wait list, and there is still a lot of pre-audition speculation going on about them.  But no biggie.  As for your wallet (and mine) ... half of me wants the Ed 10 to be worse, and half wants it to be better, because if it is - in my rig, IMO - it will be amazing.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #309 of 2,110

Quote:

I disagree a little bit ... in that the LCD-2 is still in short supply and still has a wait list, and there is still a lot of pre-audition speculation going on about them.  But no biggie.  As for your wallet (and mine) ... half of me wants the Ed 10 to be worse, and half wants it to be better, because if it is - in my rig, IMO - it will be amazing.

I agree that it's still not wide distribution, but the wait list is down and a lot of members do have their sets now. As well, of the members who do have it, their enthusiasm has not lessened over the past 5-6 months or so.

I look forward to your impressions....though I may not like your findings (financially speaking of course).
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #310 of 2,110

Quote:

I agree that it's still not wide distribution, but the wait list is down and a lot of members do have their sets now. As well, of the members who do have it, their enthusiasm has not lessened over the past 5-6 months or so.

I look forward to your impressions....though I may not like your findings (financially speaking of course).
wink.gif

OK, agreed.  You might not like my findings sonically, either, given that I didn't care for the Audeze.  I was disappointed not to, actually, but I guess it shows how we all differ.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #312 of 2,110

Quote:

As there are six LCD-2's currently for sale and another six pairs that have been recently sold or traded in the FS forum right now, I would say that enthusiasm is waning a bit. And that's just from the first two search pages.

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #313 of 2,110

Quote:

As there are six LCD-2's currently for sale and another six pairs that have been recently sold or traded in the FS forum right now, I would say that enthusiasm is waning a bit. And that's just from the first two search pages.

Every headphone here is being sold...I'm sure that after a few weeks there will be a few Ed.10s up for sale. The enthusiasm has to do with still the strength of discussion on the LCD-2 thread and the fact that the wait list is still up to 1-2 months with many happy owners.

You can also count how many T1s and HD800s have been sold too...doesn't mean they were FOTM either.

Have you heard the LCD-2s?

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #314 of 2,110
A comparison of LCD-2s vs the ED-10s would be good.  The Audeze are definitely a big cut above the ED-8s and I doubt that Ultrasone has produced a driver that can reproduce square waves at low frequencies as the LCD-2s can, but it would be interesting all the same.

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #315 of 2,110
Well, i am not normally an Ultasone person but i bought the Ed8 over the LCD2 after hearing both.  So cut above cut below, I see it as musical integration or just sounding right.  If i heard that in the LCD2 then to me it may be a cut above but as it stands....well i guess we all have our own ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back