Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #5,252 of 6,404
 I figure Ref1 will be my relaxing, laying down in bed phones.

Really?  That's the complete opposite reason I want them (Ref1's).....my use will be best described as Audio Adrenalin....I hope..
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #5,253 of 6,404
I'm guessing, obviously I could be way off, but I don't think the bass will be more than 8.a. For me bass gets me going, and I usually listen to bass heavier music when awake or being active. I think, I'll enjoy the clarity of the Ref1 with my relaxing music, but with that extra punch to it... Just my little theory... I could fall totally in love and not want another iem too...

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #5,254 of 6,404
No need for those phones anyway, right? I'd rather have 2 or 3 amazing ones than a collection I feel obligated to listen to. I just hope my choices aren't too redundant. I feel like the Ref1 will be the only truly different one I have.

I suppose it won't matter too much, my 8.a are universal and I could always dump them if I love the K10s a bit more. My asg-2 are my gym phones, incredible bass from them. I figure Ref1 will be my relaxing, laying down in bed phones.

Your 8a are universal? Where did you pick them up? Where they an old review set?

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #5,256 of 6,404
Jun 4, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #5,259 of 6,404
Universal 8.a...at least that's what they said. Do they not make them? I wouldn't know the difference. They sound awesome that my I know.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

+1

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #5,260 of 6,404

Ok, so I'm on the brink of grabbing myself a 1+2 but before I do I just want to dig up a debate from last year, as to whether it is a superior sounding IEM to the Heir 8a I'm currently rocking. There seemed to be contrasting opinions and as far as I can ascertain the biggest differences are that one is significantly warmer with a slightly rolled off treble although possibly more detail due to the number of high frequency drivers and the other has an impressive soundstage that can rival closed back phones and an incredibly well balanced sound.

I'm also conscious I will be losing the isolation of a good custom I have become used to.

Is there anyone here who has heard both and would consider one being significantly superior to the other?

Jim, I know you fall heavily on the 1+2 side, especially with the AK120. 
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Bluebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't heard the Heir 8a before, but I have heard the demo unit of Noble 8c from the Wizard and I am very familiar with my 1plus2 and also have the new Ref 1 for about 2 weeks now. Maybe if you can tell me what is the key differences between 8a and 8c, I can give you some feedback on how 8a would compare against 1plus2. Also give us an idea what is your favourite genres of music and your music collection.

Ok so here's what I think. I have only heard the 8c as a universal demo unit and haven't heard the old 8a before and I am assuming you mean the 8a is more warmth and more bass. When I listen to the 8c demo unit, it sounded very bright to me. Reminds me of 1plus2's signature, but there is this tinge of slightly artificial electronic sharpness in its treble compare to 1plus2. And I thought 1plus2 already sounded very bright to most people who don't like it. The bass of 8c is nothing to brag about. Just normal. Based on my memory of it, I think I prefer 1plus2's dynamic bass but I could be biased here so take my comment lightly. 8c is definitely not neutral like K10. 8c sounded very forward with its upper mids/highs, whereas 1plus2 is more of a U-shape. Maybe those who actually owns both 8c and 1plus can correct my comparison of it with 1plus2.

So bottom line: If you love 8a with its heavy bass and rolled off highs, then I don't think you will be comfortable with 1plus2. They are 2 entirely different sound signatures. I was trying to tell @warrior1975 that they are rather different in signatures before his 1plus2 arrived since 1plus2 is more U-shape and far from bass heavy, but rather it is more of a faster/tighter bass instead. But he said previously he wanted to try out something which is more versatile than his heir 8a with more treble and vocal than his ASG-2. So that is why I initially asked him what his music preference and genre collection is like. You need to know very well what is your signature taste to find the correct TOTL IEM for yourself because most TOTL IEMs are already very good but may not suit everyone simply because of sound signature issue.

But I think @warrior1975 will love his new Ref. 1 after burn-in because Ref. 1 has the same house sound of Tralucent with the clarity of 1plus2 in the treble, but it has that extra rumble and impactful bass which is missing in 1plus2 and its mids are much sweeter than the U-shape signature of 1plus2. That does not mean 1plus2 is now inferior to Ref. 1. 1plus2 still edges out on Ref. 1 on certain genre of music with specific musical instruments. I am still compiling my review notes of my Ref. 1 so I will put it up over on the Ref. 1 thread soon once I am done with it.

Me too unfortunately. I will have my 1p2 this week. I had every intention of selling it... But I've got a bad feeling I'm going to love it and keep it in my growing little IEM collection.

Originally Posted by Bluebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What genre of music do you usually listen to? And what kind of sound signature do you prefer? Which is your current favourite IEM? 1plus2 has very wide soundstage and has a bright signature which is very resolving and clear, but I also understand there are also people out there who cannot stand the brightness and the treble can get pretty sharp depending on your songs. Similarly, I cannot stand IEMs that have very thick/warm signature which are very bass emphasized with a very closed up soundstage and lack air at the top. But there are people who just love such thick IEMs, probably because of their music genre preference. Stage Diver SD3 is one very good example of such an IEM which I dislike. Stage Diver SD2 is much better for me and sounds much more tamed and balanced across the frequency spectrum.

Originally Posted by warrior1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I listen to most types of music, basically anything but country. I love rap, 70/80s rock, music from 50s and 60s. I'm all over. I love bass, but I want it to be clean, tight, and without compromising SQ.

I have Heir 8.a, which I do love, but was looking for something a little more versatile. I also have Aurisonics ASG-2, which I like as well, but would like a little bit more with treble and vocals.

Originally Posted by Bluebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok then the 1plus2 is definitely for you. 
o2smile.gif
 I seriously doubt you will want to sell it off after you have heard it. I have the ASG-2 too and I find it a little bit dark and weak on the treble side and 1plus2 fixes that and delivers even more in addition with overall much better clarity, soundstage, separation and tighter/faster bass. The only part about 1plus2 which you may find lacking could be the slight dip in the mids which can make vocals less forward compared to other IEMs but I think its quality is still good enough for a TOTL tier IEM.

I have both. I haven't spent quite as much time with the 1plus2 as I'd like to have. They, to me are a bit different. The warmth and bass of the 8.a is incredible. The 1plus2 is no match for it in that department. To my novice ears, they both sound crystal clear, the edge going to 1plus2.
They are both very nice, but my choice is the 8.a. I love them, for me, they are damn near perfect.

I listened to them both with the Magnus 1 cable and the upgraded silver/gold from tralucent. Also compared using my zx1 with pha2 and intruder.

Shameless plug for myself, I am selling my 1plus2 with the upgraded cable. Purchased it 2 weeks ago or so from board member Rudi. I was really curious as to all they hype, especially since I ordered the Ref1.

I wish I could share more but I'm just not that experienced yet... still learning more about my tastes.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #5,261 of 6,404
Today, I met a new friend @Decreate and he is kind enough to let me audition his TWAu and Ted's Litz Silver both terminated with 2.5mm trrs for the AK240. After having listened to it side by side with the stock silver/gold (single ended) and uber (single ended) with my 1plus2 (as the Ref 1 are on loan). I do not feel the TWAu and Litz Silver are a clear upgrade to the silver/gold and much like a side-step where TWAu has a smooth and spacious sound while the Litz Silver brings the sound a little more forward. However, the difference between these two and the silver/gold are quite minimal and probably wouldnt tell them apart for portable use. In conclusion, I feel the uber is a clear upgrade for the 1plus2. But I guess you all know.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #5,262 of 6,404
  Today, I met a new friend @Decreate and he is kind enough to let me audition his TWAu and Ted's Litz Silver both terminated with 2.5mm trrs for the AK240. After having listened to it side by side with the stock silver/gold (single ended) and uber (single ended) with my 1plus2 (as the Ref 1 are on loan). I do not feel the TWAu and Litz Silver are a clear upgrade to the silver/gold and much like a side-step where TWAu has a smooth and spacious sound while the Litz Silver brings the sound a little more forward. However, the difference between these two and the silver/gold are quite minimal and probably wouldnt tell them apart for portable use. In conclusion, I feel the uber is a clear upgrade for the 1plus2. But I guess you all know.

What's the pricing difference between the stock gold/silver TWAu & Litz Silver.  Just roughly as a reference is good enough.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5,263 of 6,404

SQ and price difference aside, how do you think is the flexibility of the TWAu and Litz Silver cables as compared to the silver/gold cable? Which has the least microphonics and is the most supple, flexible and comfortable to wear?

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #5,264 of 6,404
If i recall, litz silver is a couple hundreds cheaper than the twau. Litz silver seems to be very soft and comfortable to use. They are both beautifully made but the twau 2.5mm connector on the twau i tried had some issue... u need to turn to find the spot to have sound on the right channel. 2.5mm trrs connector is really a silly choice of connector..... I was told ted provides better turn around time. In summary, i find litz silver is a better value option should you be looking for a back up or a cable with different termination.

Is microphonics those noise u get when u walk around with fitear 000 and the cables hit your shirt? I am not sure, best to PM Decreate

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #5,265 of 6,404
If i recall, litz silver is a couple hundreds cheaper than the twau. Litz silver seems to be very soft and comfortable to use. They are both beautifully made but the twau 2.5mm connector on the twau i tried had some issue... u need to turn to find the spot to have sound on the right channel. 2.5mm trrs connector is really a silly choice of connector..... I was told ted provides better turn around time. In summary, i find litz silver is a better value option should you be looking for a back up or a cable with different termination.

Is microphonics those noise u get when u walk around with fitear 000 and the cables hit your shirt? I am not sure, best to PM @Decreate

I believe that's a known issue. I encountered the same at the @DimitriTrush's Musica Acoustic booth at the Fujiya Spring Festival. He mentioned other customers said the same when I raised this to him. I believe he has already escalated this to Craig/Whiplash Audio but I haven't followed up on the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back