Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 8, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5,011 of 6,500
I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't audio any Schiit gear (yet?) so I'm not taking any sides but all I'm saying is that I literally had no idea he wore this before it was mentioned a couple pages ago.

Not a good thing in my view to wear in public as a business person. The optics read like this, what we do is the best, other things suck. Not sure it is a great public persona to cast.

May 8, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #5,012 of 6,500
Just my two cents, but I think he was making fun of himself, and having some fun and a sense of humor. Sure it's a company but I think he's also trying to convey that the company's newer stuff is some legitimate innovative stuff and is sounding better than what they were producing before, and was being a self deprecating about it. It doesn't make their old dacs sound any worse than they did yesterday. Or does it...?

Anyway, I think he was just trying to be humorous about some new gear that they are excited about. No biggie IMO. 

May 8, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #5,013 of 6,500

I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't audio any Schiit gear (yet?) so I'm not taking any sides but all I'm saying is that I literally had no idea he wore this before it was mentioned a couple pages ago.

I saw it back in the CanJam photo library a month back and thought it was quite funny at the time.  Not really newsworthy, however.

Especially since there a quite a few professional aggregators of molehills in our midst.

May 8, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #5,014 of 6,500
I have a Yggy and while the sound is definitely top notch, I still enjoy listening to my Modi 2U and Fulla in my other systems. The Yggy is the best DAC I've heard, but that doesn't make my other D-S gear suddenly sound terrible. Just like if I owned a Lamborghini, I'd still be able to drive and appreciate an Audi or BMW.

I really hope people are purposefully overreacting as a means of trolling. If this is truly bothering you, please do yourself a favor, call your ISP and cancel your Internet. You shouldn't be using it.

May 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #5,018 of 6,500

Hi so good digital is only for deep wallets  ? they are all 10kUSD pieces ... or more.
Just asking. Thanks, gino 

Have a look at the Geek Out V2 or Geek Out V2+ from LH Labs. It can currently be pre-ordered from their website. According to those who have heard the V2, they are very detailed without the typical "Sabre" glare. I think they are only $229 for now.

May 9, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #5,019 of 6,500
   I like how people now all of a sudden have an opinion on sigma-delta. I see tons of people now arguing over types of digital filters, old school R2R ladder topologies, absolute phase, oversampling... I actually had a few EE classes in college, so I get the basics of all of this, probably more than most people discussing here, and there is no way I would formulate an opinion on the benefits or the drawbacks of any DAC topology, let alone doing a direct correlation between a specific design choice and a subjective sound impression. Such opinion needs (imo) years and years of design work and experience, which I don't have in that domain. I won't argue over the 21st bit of a DAC when I can't hear the 12th with ambiant noise. I read debates on how R2R is suppose to bring us closer to the music, I think such debates  only pull ourselves away from the real point of interest here, music.

Head-Fi will never cease to surprise me.

I agree; so many are so passionate about what to them (and most experts) is just conjecture!
Surely, we should make the observation first (this sounds better, that sounds worse) and then try and link a theory to the phenomenon. Not just blindly commit to one thing or another, for no real reason.

Regarding 'the T-shirt', speaking as someone who's heard that multi-bit is better, I think he's just being honest. I think that he's frustrated, like so many were back in the 90's, that D-S has become the 'industry standard' for the HiFi industry, when it's not really 'High Fidelity'.
Just my 'take'.

May 9, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #5,022 of 6,500
I didn't realise the Schiit thread had been merged here... :grinning:

May 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #5,024 of 6,500
  I have tried this with JRiver (converting 44.1k PCM to DSD on the fly) software  +  Hilo DAC.     The result:    
* Hilo playing native DSD files, it's like heaven, it's phenomenal.   (although I prefer Hilo playing 192k PCM better)
* Playing live 44.1k converted DSD   -  still sounds like 44.1k PCM.    Event a little bit worse than the original 44.1k PCM.

HI !  thanks a lot for the very helpful reply
Yes i am mostly interested in cd format.  My collection is 95% on cds. 
I am trying to find a good way to playback cd files.  I think the problem is my win 7 pc ... i am quite sure of that.
Thanks again,  gino 

May 9, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #5,025 of 6,500
  FYI: this is also the official thread for the Yggdrasil and all dacs in existence. 

biggrin.gif
   they are a lot indeed !

Seriously ... the title is very misleading. Very superficial. 
I challenge everyone to demonstrate that Berkeley Audio Reference dac and Bricasti M1, to name two, suck. And they use delta-sigma dac chip.
I listened to the second and it was amazing.  
I could live with both. 
Regards,  gino 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back