ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Sep 24, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #1,111 of 1,211
If anyone is interested, I think I'm going to let me mmk3 go. I also have the go pods and Shanling m6u. I could do $1500 for all 3. $1100 for pods with mmk3, or $1300 for mmk3 with m6u.

Thanks, all

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #1,112 of 1,211
My u12t (new edition) in a very good condition, with all unused accessories are for sale so feel free to contact me if someone is interested. Havent put them on classifieds yet but can do it later.
Did MMK2 win the battle or just collecting funds for MMK3?

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #1,113 of 1,211
Did MMK2 win the battle or just collecting funds for MMK3?
I actually went with the Beterdynamic Xelento 2. I got them from Amazon (30 days of a problem free return policy) because i was looking for a musical sinlge DD set. I was also curious how they improved the 2nd generation as i have the Xelentos OG and im not a big fan of them anymore because of a heavy V-shaped sound.
So was thinking "just check them, and will send them back after the u12t humiliates them".
Boy oh boy was i wrong. The Xelentos are freaking amazing- big bold, controlled bass, great mids and buttery smooth, extremely detailed trebles.
I would describe them as a warmish neutral with big bass shelf. They are surprisingly neutral and natural, even the bass doesnt seem to play the main role.
Im actually shocked that they are as detailed as the u12t and even the stage seems more expansive.
You didn't expect this turn of events? Me neither :relaxed:

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #1,115 of 1,211
I actually went with the Beterdynamic Xelento 2. I got them from Amazon (30 days of a problem free return policy) because i was looking for a musical sinlge DD set. I was also curious how they improved the 2nd generation as i have the Xelentos OG and im not a big fan of them anymore because of a heavy V-shaped sound.
So was thinking "just check them, and will send them back after the u12t humiliates them".
Boy oh boy was i wrong. The Xelentos are freaking amazing- big bold, controlled bass, great mids and buttery smooth, extremely detailed trebles.
I would describe them as a warmish neutral with big bass shelf. They are surprisingly neutral and natural, even the bass doesnt seem to play the main role.
Im actually shocked that they are as detailed as the u12t and even the stage seems more expansive.
You didn't expect this turn of events? Me neither :relaxed:
Haven’t tried the Xelento 2, but since we’re talking about single DDs, the Singularity bears mentioning.

I’ve been jelling really well with it lately and it has all the features you mentioned the Xelentos did minus the expansive staging.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #1,116 of 1,211
Haven’t tried the Xelento 2, but since we’re talking about single DDs, the Singularity bears mentioning.

I’ve been gelling really well with it lately and it has all the features you mentioned the Xelentos did minus the expansive staging.
I was interested in the Singularity, it was my second choice in case the Xelentos 2 didnt impress me.
Seems like most single DD iems have this typical fluid and natural transients that separate them from the rest hybrid/tribrid market.
But the stage on the Xelento is indeed very big. The u12t sound sometimes bit closed in when i compare them A/B. Also the imaging is exceptional, very suggestive.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #1,117 of 1,211
I was interested in the Singularity, it was my second choice in case the Xelentos 2 didnt impress me.
Seems like most single DD iems have this typical fluid and natural transients that separate them from the rest hybrid/tribrid market.
But the stage on the Xelento is indeed very big. The u12t sound sometimes bit closed in when i compare them A/B. Also the imaging is exceptional, very suggestive.
Are these actually good? Gen 2 was blah. Review I read compared to ie900, which is a deeply terrible piece of garbage overhyped $50 iem selling for $1500. Is it anywhere near the mmkii in terms of resolution?

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #1,118 of 1,211
Are these actually good? Gen 2 was blah. Review I read compared to ie900, which is a deeply terrible piece of garbage overhyped $50 iem selling for $1500. Is it anywhere near the mmkii in terms of resolution?
Honestly i dont know what "resolution" means anymore.
I understand it as a naturally extracted details and nuances which were recorded in a studio/concert.
To my ears, the Xelento 2 are as "resolving" as the MMk2 or the u12t but they dont shove the details into my face.
I can hear exact same small nuances in the background or a delicate textures in vocals or instruments but they seem blend more naturally with the music.
The MMk2 is very smooth too but more in my face and more incisive. The u12t are more distant in presentation but have more grit and seem to create something like a fake texture. But its caused by small peaks and dips in frequency response.
The Xelentos 2 are extremely smooth and warmish but i can hear every nuance that i hear with the other two.
Havent heard the ie900 but the ie600 wasnt as detailed from what i remember. There was something missing for me, here i dont hear any detail loss coming from MMk2 or u12t.
I have the Xelentos OG and they sound quite horrible in comparison- less nuances, bloated midbass, way sharper trebles and narrower soundstage.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,119 of 1,211
I understand it as a naturally extracted details and nuances which were recorded in a studio/concert.
To my ears, the Xelento 2 are as "resolving" as the MMk2 or the u12t but they dont shove the details into my face.
I can hear exact same small nuances in the background or a delicate textures in vocals or instruments but they seem blend more naturally with the music.
The MMk2 is very smooth too but more in my face and more incisive. The u12t are more distant in presentation but have more grit and seem to create something like a fake texture. But its caused by small peaks and dips in frequency response.
The Xelentos 2 are extremely smooth and warmish but i can hear every nuance that i hear with the other two.
Havent heard the ie900 but the ie600 wasnt as detailed from what i remember. There was something missing for me, here i dont hear any detail loss coming from MMk2 or u12t.
I have the Xelentos OG and they sound quite horrible in comparison- less nuances, bloated midbass, way sharper trebles and narrower soundstage.

I agree that the original Xelento was bloated bleed bass and not in the same class with those Monarch MkII or u12t.
The IE900 have nice bass, they great and fun but details aren't the best IMHO, the bass is great deep and tight and impactful but I do feel the Z1R still perform slightly better.
though the IE900 small shell has very friendly fitting to the ears.

20230423_125007.jpg

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,120 of 1,211
Thanks. That satisfies me. I also was underwhelmed by the xelento OG, so I'm glad to hear the 2 is much more resolving.

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #1,121 of 1,211
Thanks. That satisfies me. I also was underwhelmed by the xelento OG, so I'm glad to hear the 2 is much more resolving.
The OG isnt up to todays standards but still better than most iems under 200 bucks.
The 2nd version is on a completely different level, both with tuning, speed and detail.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,122 of 1,211
The OG isnt up to todays standards but still better than most iems under 200 bucks.
The 2nd version is on a completely different level, both with tuning, speed and detail.
Is it up to mmkii? I wasn't totally clear from your earlier message and have never heard u12t

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #1,123 of 1,211
Is it up to mmkii? I wasn't totally clear from your earlier message and have never heard u12t
I think it is but it presents the music differently. Its warmer, with less ear gain and way more mid bass.
I think the MMk2 has even slightly more correct trebles around 5k. Im getting a very slight sharpness and ringing with female vocals on the X2 around 5k. Its subtle but thin and sharp and i can mainly hear it in my right ear so it can be due to the preasure build and triggering the tinnitus.
The u12t have this too but its somehow more tamed and thicker so not as piercing.
This didnt bother me at the beginning but the more i listen the more annoys me. I dont think it will be the issue for most people as they are overall smooth like butter.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,124 of 1,211
Every time I find myself tempted by the Monarch MK3, I just listen to the MK2 and the temptation disappears. Some of the best mids out there and it's quite musical too with the Pentaconn tips.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,125 of 1,211
Every time I find myself tempted by the Monarch MK3, I just listen to the MK2 and the temptation disappears. Some of the best mids out there and it's quite musical too with the Pentaconn tips.
It is. I prefer 2 to 3. They are both excellent though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back