ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Sep 5, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,081 of 1,211
Indeed we all have different tastes and ears, so we get different impressions.

I definitely see the timber as more natural on Mk3, but to you it is more coloured. The imaging to me is clearly more precise on the Mk3 due to its increeased detailization in the mids and highs. And we are both not wrong just different, this is a good point why people should check iems personally.

Btw thanks for your posts on the Mk2 and Mk3 I like your helpful and informative replies! I am waiting for my personal, custom Mk3, Oracle 2 and Kiwi Quintet at the moment, so I can compare them in more details. Mk2 will be with me this week. 🎉
Indeed, this is why I recommend people try the IEMs if they can. I enjoy reading your posts and impressions as well. Hope you enjoy your incoming IEMs!

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,082 of 1,211
Agreed, I vastly prefer the mk2 over the z1r. For me the z1r is all bass, weak midrange, shrill/odd treble. I don't want to feel that way, as I know they're so well reviewed and lliked by many, and they even fit well, but that's what my ears tell me in repeated listens. On the other hand, to me the mk2 is very balanced and sounds great, especially (as many have pointed out) the detailed and frankly gorgeous mids. I say this as a u12t owner and huge fan who has been auditioning other iems off and on for several months. I've been waiting for the mk3 news and based on what I've read I'll probably end up buying an mk2 to compliment the u12t. I'd like to see them drop in price a couple hundred $ or go on a big sale though :D .
Z1R is very dependant on source. Moho2 and Cayin RU6 make it shine.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,083 of 1,211
Z1R is very dependant on source. Moho2 and Cayin RU6 make it shine.
I'll have to try it again some day. I owned it for about two weeks or so and my impressions were similar to @mark88888's

I found the bass dominant, and the mids/treble a little wonky. The bass and soundstaging were amazing though.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,084 of 1,211
That's interesting. Would definitely like to try them before making a decision. Hopefully there will be a demo at e-earphone (Tokyo) now or soon and I'll check them out. What's your impression of the treble on the mk3 compared to 2? (From what I've read the bass seems as good or a bit improved.)
The mk2 does have more prominent mids to my ears and a bit more special sauce. Mk3 has has a bit more mid bass. Still a mid centric iem to me (as I generally tend to ward V shaped iems), but I prefer the mk2 mids. You can't go wrong with either though. I'd you don't use eq, I'd go mk3 as mk2 is too lean without eq.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,085 of 1,211
The mk2 does have more prominent mids to my ears and a bit more special sauce. Mk3 has has a bit more mid bass. Still a mid centric iem to me (as I generally tend to ward V shaped iems), but I prefer the mk2 mids. You can't go wrong with either though. I'd you don't use eq, I'd go mk3 as mk2 is too lean without eq.
I guess the thing about Mk2 timbre that was a bit less to my taste than Mk3 was that "special souce"...😂😂😂 just kidding don't take my message seriously.

Sep 5, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,086 of 1,211
The reason i praise the MMk2 is that they are closer to live music than any iem or headphone ive heard. They arent the most fun sounding but i must admit that hearing them just after live performance always gave me this right feeling and they are able to close the gaps between "real sound" and headphones.
Most iems artificialy highlight hi-hat sound for example. The MMk2 replays them with buttery smooth qualities, exaclty like i heard them on most concerts (they are way less pronounced then vocals or guitars). U12t cant do that for example, they play hi-hats too loud, like most iems ive heard/had.
I wouldnt be unhappy if i sold my actual portable rig- ak sp1000 + u12t and returned to the MMk2 with the IFI Gryphon to boost the bass using XBass. Unfortunately most daps cant give the MMk2 a proper bass kick. The only one that could reach a hell-like depth was the IBasso dx320 but only with amp13 from the left output (a full tube one).
The bass on the MMk2 is fussy, like on the Mest 2.

Sep 5, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,087 of 1,211
@RIGATIO try Ares S 8W for your Monarch 2. It adds a good amount of mid-bass.

Code 23 adds even more than the Ares S 8W to the point where it makes the mid-bass actually sound *really* good but the ergonomics are atrocious.

Sep 5, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,089 of 1,211
Sep 5, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #1,090 of 1,211
That’s… how real music sounds :dt880smile:
You mean like big orchestra live performance, there is layering with multiple sound sources.
At ear damaging rock concert everything sounds like big BOOM, but they do not play live anyway, just dancing on stage.

Sep 5, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #1,091 of 1,211
You mean like big orchestra live performance, there is layering with multiple sound sources
Yeah, that’s what I meant. Really cellos and contrabass sound awesome from the first row. To me, that’s how an IEM should render bass.

Sep 5, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,092 of 1,211
Sep 5, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #1,093 of 1,211
That’s… true lol. But I don’t like it in IEMs for some reason
That was my point, with IEM limitations that overlap or frequencies bleed is masking details, huge transducers over ears are less susceptible to this and can do much better layering (still less bassier full size HPs tend to be more detailed), but tiny BA and DDs are just not good for that level of dissection. So you trade more midrange details for more impactful blooming bass.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #1,094 of 1,211
That was my point, with IEM limitations that overlap or frequencies bleed is masking details, huge transducers over ears are less susceptible to this and can do much better layering (still less bassier full size HPs tend to be more detailed), but tiny BA and DDs are just not good for that level of dissection. So you trade more midrange details for more impactful blooming bass.
Sorry for the off-top, which headphones sound similar to the Mk3 or Mk2? I am looking for what you just described but with the combination of good bass and gorgeous detailed mids at the same time. And I am completely incompetent in headphones, I just know I don't like the bass of Sennheiser HD 800.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #1,095 of 1,211
Sorry for the off-top, which headphones sound similar to the Mk3 or Mk2? I am looking for what you just described but with the combination of good bass and gorgeous detailed mids at the same time. And I am completely incompetent in headphones, I just know I don't like the bass of Sennheiser HD 800.
Focal Clear MG are probably the closest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back