ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #1,141 of 1,193
D217E09A-9768-46B4-9F27-0AC6C228D1DC.jpeg

I’m also new to the Monarch MK2 Love.
And I guess I am of a different mindset. Beyond feeling like this is my endgame and that it’s absolutely fantastic personally.

Now to my frustration with the hobby. I just don’t understand why we compare vs other IeM (let alone our ears vs others persons ears). It is literally insane to seek a standard inside of subjective worlds. No matter how many graphs or how many featured scores ranking happens, everyone will never hear the same nor like the same, we are all individuals. If you go and create the perfect on paper IEM all you will do is find that tomorrow it isn’t because someone hates every single thing it was made to do, hates it because they don’t have it, or find some political, religious, or superficial reason why it’s not perfect.

I have literally been on forms where all I did was simply say that my favorite brands were xx and CC and everyone that responded hated me because they believed if I didn’t mention their brand that I was a threat to their life or their superiority complex. The whole hobby is mostly subjective when all the smoke clears snd you will never give enough proof for the critics and haters in the world and you will only be required only the smallest confirmation to the fanboys to support their views. And look, I know we seek to be objective on things but it always seems to come back to subjective stands over all else when the smoke clears and that’s just crazy.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #1,142 of 1,193
D217E09A-9768-46B4-9F27-0AC6C228D1DC.jpeg
I’m also new to the Monarch MK2 Love.
And I guess I am of a different mindset. Beyond feeling like this is my endgame and that it’s absolutely fantastic personally.

Now to my frustration with the hobby. I just don’t understand why we compare vs other IeM (let alone our ears vs others persons ears). It is literally insane to seek a standard inside of subjective worlds. No matter how many graphs or how many featured scores ranking happens, everyone will never hear the same nor like the same, we are all individuals. If you go and create the perfect on paper IEM all you will do is find that tomorrow it isn’t because someone hates every single thing it was made to do, hates it because they don’t have it, or find some political, religious, or superficial reason why it’s not perfect.

I have literally been on forms where all I did was simply say that my favorite brands were xx and CC and everyone that responded hated me because they believed if I didn’t mention their brand that I was a threat to their life or their superiority complex. The whole hobby is mostly subjective when all the smoke clears snd you will never give enough proof for the critics and haters in the world and you will only be required only the smallest confirmation to the fanboys to support their views. And look, I know we seek to be objective on things but it always seems to come back to subjective stands over all else when the smoke clears and that’s just crazy.
I prefer the Twilight but in my opinion, you have probably the best iems in the world- subjectively if you like them or objectively, if you prefer something else to these.
I dont have any problem with claiming their superiority over anything else ive heard even tho i like the Twilight more (well they are close enough in quality to not make me feel like im losing something).

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #1,144 of 1,193
Fellas, the Heaphones reviewers said it: the MMk2 is so perfect that we have to exclude it
I actually believe this too. I have absolutely nothing I want more or need more from an IEM than what this brings to the table. The realism, tonality , timbre, bass , treble and absolute perfect mids aren’t replaceable nor needing any more from it in my subjective opinion. I do however accept that someone out there might not fit them like my ears does or that someone might just be looking for exaggerated tonality or frequency responses, not realism, even though I don’t relate to it, I come to accept it. I just wish people(not you nor even this forum topic) would stop acting like this Product or the people that love it, are a threat to their happiness just because we are really into our IEM. It doesn’t mean we think any other persons choice in their favorite is less important.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #1,146 of 1,193
Just received my SpinFit W1 tips. I much prefer this than the CP100, which I ended up modifying. Better bass without losing much of the microdetails vs my previous tip which I stole from my Xelento lol. Having the IEM sit closer to the end of the tip provides slightly better intimacy so I may do tip rolling (is cable rolling version for tips called tip rolling?) once in a while. Overall, W1 is a winner!

I also want to share my experience with a cable I'm trying now which is Effect Audio Cleopatra II OCTA. 26awg pure silver 8w. Compared to the price of the MkII, this cable is stupidly expensive even at used price that one may suggest I buy a different IEM altogether but this cable gives me the improvement I'm looking for. I really don't eant to buy any other IEM. This is already a dangerous hobby haha

Improved bass and highs, improved detail retrieval and separation without compromising the already nice mids. Even tracks I would normally skip I end up listening to because the IEM sounds so great now and it's fun hearing all the microdetails I never heard before. I even fell asleep with this IEM on lol. Luckily my doggo is beside me so I didnt fully put weight on my ear otherwise that would've been painful. One benchmark I use is listening to violin. I've been up close to solo performances by world renowned violinists and also been to several Lindsey Stirling concerts. There's that particular high pitch violin sound that I look for. The Cleo achieves that better than the stock cables.

Jan 19, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #1,147 of 1,193
Hey all

I've got the ifi go pods (be careful with the latest firmware), and have a little cash available to spend. I have monarch mkii and prestige, as well as maxwell and momentum 4 for bt over ear. Wondering if I can get better value with the ifi go pods by either getting something easier to drive, just trying a different iem, or... well, idk. Most gonpod use is for the gym. I'm a fitness need so I'm there daily. Momentum for office generally and maxwell for gaming st home. Prestige is next to my bed wirh my dx320, but rotates.

Thinking about the z1r again, helios, noble mystique tws. Any recs for under 1000 (probably used) that are easier to drive with increased resolution, wide stage and more bass? I think I'm just looking for something different I guess.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #1,148 of 1,193
Hey all

I've got the ifi go pods (be careful with the latest firmware), and have a little cash available to spend. I have monarch mkii and prestige, as well as maxwell and momentum 4 for bt over ear. Wondering if I can get better value with the ifi go pods by either getting something easier to drive, just trying a different iem, or... well, idk. Most gonpod use is for the gym. I'm a fitness need so I'm there daily. Momentum for office generally and maxwell for gaming st home. Prestige is next to my bed wirh my dx320, but rotates.

Thinking about the z1r again, helios, noble mystique tws. Any recs for under 1000 (probably used) that are easier to drive with increased resolution, wide stage and more bass? I think I'm just looking for something different I guess.
Well, though task you put so! Why? Guess you would value the comfort alot. So:
1.1/Bass+sound stage = Z1R; questionable is the comfort;
1.2/Neutrality, refined treble = Helios; questionable is the comfort.
My Holy Trinity is Z1R, MMk2, Helios - they hit high and complement each other perfectly.
2.1/ IE600 - solid bass, clarity; problem - propriety cables, have to use only stock tips otherwise it gets sibilant;
2.2/ UM Mest 2 - solid bass, fun, holographic; this is a great choice if you do not target top fidelity.
3.1/ ikko oh10 - top budget fun, highly praised refined v-shape; beautiful but a bit heavy;
3.2/ Oxygen - balance, great timber and vocals, forgotten gem; + small, metal;
3.3/ S12pro - bass, sound stage, top resolution for the money, clarity.
I can extend the list but these are teally my top-of-mind after reading your post.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #1,149 of 1,193
Hey all

GoPod is quite potent, afaik. I have seen people using it with Symphonium and Subtonic IEMs in the past.

Anyhow, for your question, I’m throwing out a wildcard: NiceHck F1 Pro (planar magnetic IEM). I wrote about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-f1-pro-planar-universal-iem.26936/review/32603/

It’s cheap enough to go to gym, but not a throwaway IEM either. As far as a planar IEM with 14.x mm driver, it’s as good as it gets. And you would have plenty of cash left for something else.

Z1R and Helios can be quite uncomfortable for gym uses.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #1,150 of 1,193
Disclaimer: Jumping in without looking back fyi through thread. My thoughts as of now - disclaimer end.

I traded mine and have not regretted it. I found them simply boring while quite technically capable. They showed up and presented the sound but without any “heartfelt enthusiasm”! #subjectivity

They could mildly kick, they could play all the details, they could sing the highs In a “dry” sort of way. However, where did this put them - FOR ME - aside from a set to fall asleep to?

I appreciate their abilities but never loved their execution personally. They were technically “good” and that’s it - Ehh but respectable none the less.
Honestly the best thing you can do is realize when a set is good but not for you or your tastes. Initially when I purchased them I enjoyed them. They were technical and originally I thought that was what mattered. Then I came to realize I just was not enjoying the music with them. I moved on to other sets and have found much more enjoyment from them. The thing is everything is a part of the journey.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #1,151 of 1,193
Guys, I've been enjoying the Monarch
MK II since last year and now I got the Sony WM1Z DAP

But I see that the voices don't rise as much as I thought,
So I want to get a replacement cable to improve the vocals, especially Effect Audio, if you have had experience?

My budget is up to $200 to $800 dollars

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #1,152 of 1,193

So I want to get a replacement cable to improve the vocals, especially Effect Audio, if you have had experience?

No cables will give you day and night presentation, save your money. Pure copper can give more weighty presentation overall, with more warmness compared to pure silver that have more crispy detailed presentation but nothing can just bring the mids forward like you intend to.
Perhaps wide bore eartips is the cheap and more audible solution.
Try divinus velvet, or moondrop springs, or jvc spiral dot or pentaconn coreir. Or just buy them all since you already have money to spend.
Another thing, why not use the great EQ of sony processor. Sony is famous for their audio processor too in walkman.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #1,153 of 1,193
No cables will give you day and night presentation, save your money. Pure copper can give more weighty presentation overall, with more warmness compared to pure silver that have more crispy detailed presentation but nothing can just bring the mids forward like you intend to.
Perhaps wide bore eartips is the cheap and more audible solution.
Try divinus velvet, or moondrop springs, or jvc spiral dot or pentaconn coreir. Or just buy them all since you already have money to spend.
Another thing, why not use the great EQ of sony processor. Sony is famous for their audio processor too in walkman.
I very much agree with Dynamic Ears.
I played a lot with cables for MMk2 and I concluded that the original cable provides supreme presentation. Ok, it is heavy, thick,.... but it is not it creating the 'issue'. Like tips for me the best worked the AzlaTips included in the Helios and the JVC Spiral Dot.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,154 of 1,193

I agree with @DynamicEars & @Sharppain for the most part. That being said I use my Monarch MKII with a very good pure copper cable and vastly prefer it to the stock cable. To echo the previous comments no cable or even tips for that matter are going to provide you a night and day difference with vocals. You could try a different source pairing but the Sony WM1Z is a great DAP. Instead of spending big money on a cable you might be better off researching another vocal forward IEM and having two options in sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back