The Worst Myth at Head-Fi.....?
May 5, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #48 of 223
That Jahn has a posting team. I've met the dude and have watched him at work. The man is for real.

May 5, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #49 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then of course there's also the myth #2: That it's okay to give advice on how something sounds based on something you read on Head-Fi.

QFT. I cannot stand people who do this.

May 5, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #50 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
myth busted! Been a member for over a year now and just settled with ksc75s and sf5p.

Well, I mean, once the Westone 3 comes out, then uhh... hmm..... ... ...

You're a late bloomer. I thought I was "happy" for a year to, then I came back and dropped 800 dollars in a week.

May 5, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #51 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is referring to the copy protection on certain audio CD's that can be defeated if you outline the edge of the CD with a sharpie (the last track is a dummy track that contains no data and most CD-ROM drives get confused and end up not being able to rip the CD; outlining the CD with sharpie makes this track unreadable and then the CD-ROM drive thinks its just a normal audio CD again.).

However this is very old news and I am pretty sure that software can now take care of this protection (*cough* alcohol 120% *cough*) instead of manually outlining the CD with a sharpie.

No I think you'll find he's hinting at the very early days of CD's when some highly enterprising audiophile, who maybe had a second job in art pens, started the myth that marking the very edge of your CD's in green art marker stopped light escaping out of the edge and thus creating bad sound - Hi-Fi News/Choice/Audiophile etc and others devoted column miles to it all as I recall even though, if you knew enough about the subject, then it didn't take much to realise that this charlatan didn't understand even the first thing about physics and what light/energy does - but that he did realise that some people will believe any old crap so long as you string your theory together with enough snake oil... oh and this idiot who's name I long forgot once tried to sell me one of his pens for £20 in a hotel corridor and I just reached in my bag and offered him any colour he prefered cause they all cost £1 each in the art shop 2 miles down the road
tongue.gif

May 5, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #52 of 223
"Sorry about your wallet"
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #56 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Head-Fier's with a) most posts and/or b) most expensive equipment have the best hearing...

Good One

But I must say... ever since getting the Orpheus (and associated gear) my hearing seems to have improved dramatically! My hearing never sounded so good
evil_smiley.gif

Neil

May 5, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #57 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More $$$ = Better.

True, but I'll take the other end of this as well: that you can get true "hi-fi" sound quality out of certain "giant killer" components which cost hundreds/thousands less then similar quality gear.

May 5, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #59 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I FOUND THE VEIL!!!
After listening to music extensively with Beyerdynamic Dt880's and AKG K701's last night for about 3 hours, I put on my HD650's and they sounded awful:
veiled
dark
distant
rolled off
boomy in the bass
NO JOKE!

はは、i have heard them only briefly but through the pre-head from meier,,, amazing phones... no veil, but not overly outgoing... too bad your stuff ain't up to driving them

May 5, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #60 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long did it take for you come to this conclusion? Was it before, or after, you joined head-fi?

good question. i had the 650 long before reading this stuff, or becoming a member on headfi. i did get them following research on the net, including some headfi reviews, but many others outside headfi. i never ever thought of any form of 'veil', but did start reading about it here a bit later. one site claimed the 650 had the flattest response of any phone they had ever tested.

i also wondered if some hear a veil because they have shot their eardrums with irresponsible listening habits? all of us here are prime candidates for ear damage. we spend thousands to vibrate / pummel our eardrums! How can we give HiFi advice if we don't even know the condition of our own hearing??! How does the idea of an optional 'hearing register' or 'hearing profile' according to a simple HeadFi hearing test, in our profiles sound? then we could make more informed choices.some of the other myths listed probably are more relevant though...love the one about dollars and posts. gotta say that exists big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back