The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Oct 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2,656 of 7,980
I have to update my thoughts on the 3.Ai a bit. I had them up for sale last week as I felt they were a bit too bright for me. I don't think they would be for most others, but I am sensitive to treble. Yesterday, I used these on and off along with my SE215 and HJE900 during about 24 hours worth of flying. I ended up having the most enjoyable listening experience overall with the 3.Ai. Again, I am using foam tips and they make the 3.Ai much more tamed up top in my opinion. That works great for me and made them much easier on my ears for long periods of time. The SE215 was still the winner in terms of fatigue resistance and I used it for the longest periods of time as a result, but the 3.Ai was a nice reprise from the rolled-off treble of the SE215 from time to time.

I also found that I wasn't yearning for more midrange in the Heir. It never felt recessed to me before, but there was something I didn't love about it. Maybe my mood changed or something, but it seemed just right for my flight and while waiting to clear customs in Saudi for THREE HOURS
mad.gif
   I also got the chance to audition the SE535 and Westone W4 in the Atlanta Airport. I would have loved to spend more time with each, but first impression is that the SE535 is way mid-forward... The W4 was very nice in just about every way. It seemed quite balanced to my ears in the best way. I would have loved to compare it and the 3.Ai in detail, but didn't have more than a few minutes because I needed to catch my flight. I nearly missed a flight to Amsterdam to audition two IEMs. Thanks Head-Fi! One thing is for sure though, neither the Shure or the Westone can beat the build quality and looks of the Heir!

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #2,658 of 7,980
Quote:

Nearly? Your conversion ... isn't complete.

LOL!  My wife doesn't feel it's appropriate to schedule a family vacation around one of the "Head-Fi" meets.  Women... they just don't understand!

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #2,661 of 7,980
Quote:
I laughed a little too hard at that.

I was trying to figure a way of describing how deep the bass goes so it seemed like a good analogy to use... I'm not one to describe how I find things like the reviewers do, I prefer to keep things light-hearted and try to add a lil amusement along the way...  all that talk of graphs, dissecting equipment just to get your point across really doesn't impress me in the slightest and it screams that they have a agenda normally for the bad & not the good, that said there are some reviewers that I really enjoy reading but if I really want to know how something sounds I'll ask someone who has similar portable set-up as me as their findings are way more important, that and talking to The Wizard afterall the CIEM/IEM's are his creations so any technical stuff I needed to know he would be the absolute definitive person to ask.

Anyhow I've been having some serious fun with my 4.Ai's with UB40's 'Signing-Off' album... the stepped 'clear bass' boost on my WM-Z is like being hit in the ears with couple of those humongously large mallets that little Jerry uses on Tom... yes I've got the head shudders but no tweeting birds.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2,662 of 7,980
Like a lemming standing on the precipice of a cliff drinking a can of Red-Bull while staring down at his splattered buddies below, you know the time has come to make that life defining decision... do I, don't I

To ease the undoubted unexpected suspense you must all be feeling whilst squirming in your seats reading this (don't feel sorry for the lemming, all will be revealed in good time), I decided to go for it... it was time to get the 3.Ai's out and plug them into my Z1070.

After being completely wooed an by the 4.Ai's it was hard to contemplate switching IEM's, but 'needs must' as they say... so far the 3.Ai's have proved to be more forgiving with music, the detail the 4.Ai seems almost 'clinical' by comparison but not in a cold heartless way (I love my music that way, though on a badly produced recording it's like scrapping your nails on tin)... to make a quick judgment, I'd use the 3.Ai's for when I was out & about doing stuff, that's the time I just want to listen to my tunes without thinking of any minor nuances within the music... the 4.Ai's on the other hand are for when I get home and nicely relaxed that's when I want to hear the phenomenal clarity they produce and totally immerse myself in what I'm hearing.

ps... as for the lemming, after seeing the carnage beneath him he decided to fly away & enjoy life... Red-Bull 'gives you wings' yanno
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,668 of 7,980
Can I use an UE 10vi cable with the HA 4ais? I really need a mic cable and am getting a bit desperate to find something usable

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #2,669 of 7,980
Quote:
Can I use an UE 10vi cable with the HA 4ais? I really need a mic cable and am getting a bit desperate to find something usable

No UE pins are different to the pins Heir use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back