The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 20, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #89,641 of 90,546
But isn't this exactly what we thought about many new art forms that came up over the past decades? We may be utterly surprised by the magnitude of inspiration going forward. Not sure if it would be my thing, but I wouldn't want to be early in declaring that art is dead. Jazz had been declared dead for 3 decades (1975-2005), and look at where we are now.

drftr
There is a difference between listening and creating, seeing and creating. Making something is a process, the joy or pain happens for the artist in a very private way, filled with anticipation for what the result will be, requiring trust in yourself.

Listening or seeing something will likely never go as deep or have the element of the memory of making the work. The consumer of the art can if the work moves them enough imagine how it was made, which for me takes on another level of thought. Good great bad boring etc are really slippery slopes to declare out loud.

Is there music I do not enjoy, yep, though it would be wrong to suggest it is not music.

Here is the most recent work I completed.

IMG_3801.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #89,642 of 90,546
This talk of good or bad music reminds me of that Mark Twain (?) quote where, upon hearing Wagner's music praised for its technical proficiency said something to the effect of "apparently Wagner's music is better than it sounds".

In other news 6k page mark just around the corner :D

May 20, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #89,643 of 90,546
May 20, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #89,646 of 90,546
Primarily, Exact Audio Copy (EAC), which has been around forever. It's great, easy and free unless you upgrade features.

Still using it today.
EAC + Mp3tag + “new” CDs from the second shop = a perfect night

throw in a little drink or vaporizer and you have yourself a party

May 20, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #89,647 of 90,546
There is a difference between listening and creating, seeing and creating. Making something is a process, the joy or pain happens for the artist in a very private way, filled with anticipation for what the result will be, requiring trust in yourself.

Listening or seeing something will likely never go as deep or have the element of the memory of making the work. The consumer of the art can if the work moves them enough imagine how it was made, which for me takes on another level of thought. Good great bad boring etc are really slippery slopes to declare out loud.

Is there music I do not enjoy, yep, though it would be wrong to suggest it is not music.

Here is the most recent work I completed.

IMG_3801.jpeg
My main point was that AI may have great value going forward, for instance for live improvisation on stage. Think about art installations or for instance creative sequencer based electronic music, take it a step further, let AI do its part to which the musician responds or perhaps partly shapes the process. Nobody says AI will be limited to dumb texts or actions, and perhaps it can somehow be used for improvisations on stage. Not sure if perhaps that's even used already @slumberman?

drftr

May 20, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #89,648 of 90,546
May 20, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #89,649 of 90,546
My main point was that AI may have great value going forward, for instance for live improvisation on stage. Think about art installations or for instance creative sequencer based electronic music, take it a step further, let AI do its part to which the musician responds or perhaps partly shapes the process. Nobody says AI will be limited to dumb texts or actions, and perhaps it can somehow be used for improvisations on stage. Not sure if perhaps that's even used already @slumberman?

drftr
It has been used by U2 at the Sphere for example. My problem with its usage atm is, that it all looks the same in motion. It is like a never ending thought spiral on acid, endless, meaningless detail.

May 20, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #89,650 of 90,546

drftr
If a person is not involved and it is not a process that involves both the act of production but also the act of experiencing and making changes then it is not an art form created by an artist. The day AI can see/hear what it does and know something about why it is doing it, then we will have reached a place we just are not at now. That is my opinion, without sensory input to the AI creation process it is not art as I define it. If a person uses AI as part of their process then it is not AI anymore, AI was just the brush or the instrument.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #89,651 of 90,546
It has been used by U2 at the Sphere for example. My problem with its usage atm is, that it all looks the same in motion. It is like a never ending thought spiral on acid, endless, meaningless detail.
Agreed. I take it writing or playing a mbira wasn't great on the first day either.

drftr

May 20, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #89,652 of 90,546

drftr
I haven’t gone too deep into the AI rabbit hole, but my issue with it when it comes to generating art is it fundamentally works by studying and aping the works of others. Obviously, human artists also have influences that show through their work. But, there’s a huge difference between being influenced and expressing that in your own way vs. straight-up copying, which is what AI does when generating art. Human artists would be chastised too if they were found plagiarizing.

Until AI develops to the point where it’s basically humane in terms of creativity, independent thought, etc., I don’t think it should be anywhere near “creating” art. When it comes to assisting human beings create art, though, I’m all for it. AI assisting in compositing, or lighting, or animation, for example. Giving overworked, underpaid artists the tools to skip the tedious, mundane steps in favor of the bigger, more creative ones would be awesome.

May 20, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #89,653 of 90,546
XLD on Mac will do the job and it's free https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

I have also used iTunes a lot, I was ripping in ALAC. Not sure though that the option still exists in Music now.

After all these years and I never even bothered to check iTunes! Now it's called Music and yup, there is still the option to rip to ALAC.

May 20, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #89,654 of 90,546
then it is not an art form created by an artist
What if the artist creates AI? Isn't that more or less what happens within ambient and techno performances when the instruments pick up bits and pieces of what you have just played and take it into a direction you may not have foreseen, allowing you react to it, then again using that as new input?

drftr

May 20, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #89,655 of 90,546

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back