The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 12, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #86,341 of 90,776
Some of the expensive models have the same drivers though 🤭 looking at you CFA!

Not sure what IEM you're talking about-- CFA's drivers are all custom developed or spec'd as far as I know.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #86,342 of 90,776
2. Melodic Artification "Alter Ego" (BUY with upgrade silver alloy cable) - The smooth vocals and bass texture is addictive, easy, and super enjoyable for a long listen. The build, tuning, price, is giving so much value in a world where IEMs prices are getting more and more expensive. Easily competes with 3-4k IEMs. I'd pick this over Traillii or Traillii Ti for vocals. The shells are so well-built, light, but not cheap feeling. I have a feeling that at least 20 members will own this IEM in their collection within this year.

Wasn’t aware there was a cable upgrade option.

Do we know what the spec is on the stock cable? I don’t know what availability will be like. It’s interesting that it seems to be universally acclaimed by those who have heard it. I’m hopeful of obtaining one soon!

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #86,344 of 90,776
Describing the perfect IEM.

Trailii has lots of detail, in a laid back sort of way. I wouldn’t describe it as vivid although IEM’s (like headphones) can be source dependent. I haven’t tried the Trailii Ti but it’s less laid back than the JP from what I am reading. Bass is okay but being a BA only set, if you’re familiar to Audeze bass, you may find that Trailii bass isn’t quite up to par.

I am yet to hear these but given how your requirements are similar to mine, this is my current shortlist to try: Canpur 622B, Mentor Multiverse, Vision Ears 10, Melodic Artification Alter Ego. Huge soundstage and techs makes me think UM paired to sources/cables/tips that synergise.

Be mindful that IEM performance is a sum of the chain with many variables. Whilst one cannot change the inherent fundamentals of an IEM, there’s a rabbit hole of sources, portable amplifiers, DAP settings (Class A/AB, Tubes, DAC filters, DSP), tips and cables to fine tune to what you’re listening to.

The rabbit hole is often cheaper having a selection of different options than chasing the last % points with thousands of dollars.

That said… I think there’s a cooler who listens to Subtonic Storm out of the Holo Stack and Sov Symph cable and I’m coming very close to following Alice to Wonderland.
Last night, I ordered the AMP14 for my old iBasso DX300. Should bring new warmth and life to this DAP.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #86,345 of 90,776
I was like you considering between headphones or IEM. After a few years now i have both hahaha. Headphones have bigger stages and feel more immersive as if you are there watching the artist playing the song(movies sound so good with HP), but IEM have the benefit of being portable. You can bring your iem everywhere anytime also it is more comfortable. IEM also doesnt ruin your hair while using it on the move like headphone does.
I have headphones. It's just that for various reasons (weight) I can't wear them for hour and hours like I used to. So I wanted to find an iem that was ariy, openish, great mids and well extended bass. Anni23 was my ticket.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #86,346 of 90,776
Not sure what IEM you're talking about-- CFA's drivers are all custom developed or spec'd as far as I know.
There are rumors (HBB?) that supermoon uses the same planar driver that much less expensive iems use. I dunno

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #86,347 of 90,776
Just wondering do any venders take stock to purchase at Canjam London ?

Some/many do, especially smaller items like IEMs. The ones that don't usually offer free shipping (on top of whatever show discount they might be offering). So while you may have to wait a day or two for the post, that minor time penalty is well worth some of the discounts to be had.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #86,348 of 90,776
Ah! The poll...

This is my top 5 of IEMs I'd love to demo (again):

1. Noble Onyx (will trigger if I can somehow get a tighter bass)
2. 64 Audio Volür (might trigger if I can clean up the low end, make mids a but more open, and add some air all around)
3. Vision Ears Aura (but too late to the party or so it seems)
4. Fitear Creator
5. Oriolus Monachaa
5b. Vision Ears VE10 (might trigger if I can somehow clean up the low end and make treble shine a bit brighter)
5c. Noble Spartacus
5d. Melodic Artification Alter Ego
5e. Lime Ears Terra
5f. Craft Ears Omnium
5g. 634ears LOAK TX-02 (not familiar with the brand but after the rave reviews and this being a new TOTL single DD, why not?)

drftr
The Onyx is gooooood.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #86,349 of 90,776
I have headphones. It's just that for various reasons (weight) I can't wear them for hour and hours like I used to. So I wanted to find an iem that was ariy, openish, great mids and well extended bass. Anni23 was my ticket.
Is this going to be your first iem??

Edit: Oh sorry didnt read it correctly. Congrats on Annihilator it was a very good iem i was considering to get one myself, but somehow there are some sound character that is holding me back. It is just not suitable for my taste in certain area, very subjective.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #86,350 of 90,776
There are rumors (HBB?) that supermoon uses the same planar driver that much less expensive iems use. I dunno
You pay for the tuning expertise, not the raw materials. All manufacturers, to an extent have access to the same drivers unless they’re custom spec to the IEM like EE’s DD drivers, Storms BA woofer implementation, etc.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #86,351 of 90,776

Once upon a time, around the time @tgx78 was trying to make an earbud with a planar driver, he was in touch with the company that made said driver that "much less expensive IEMs use" and he found that the Supermoon uses a custom spec'd model of the Gen 2 of the driver you're talking about.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #86,352 of 90,776
You pay for the tuning expertise, not the raw materials. All manufacturers, to an extent have access to the same drivers unless they’re custom spec to the IEM like EE’s DD drivers, Storms BA woofer implementation, etc.
Yes obviously, I was just answering the point above. :flushed:

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #86,353 of 90,776
Once upon a time, around the time @tgx78 was trying to make an earbud with a planar driver, he was in touch with the company that made said driver that "much less expensive IEMs use" and he found that the Supermoon uses a custom spec'd model of the Gen 2 of the driver you're talking about.
Thanks for clearing up the rumor 👍

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #86,354 of 90,776
Most people have the decency, dignity & self awareness to either adapt to the norms and vibe of an established community they stumble onto, or just quietly go somewhere else if they don't mesh with it. An unfortunate minority will whine, project and, passive aggressively or otherwise, attempt to poison the atmosphere of the place. In those cases the best recourse is to ignore and make use of the ignore feature.
And this paragraph shows why Rockwell75 is our leader. If you can not post something informative or positive, just go somewhere else.

on the home front, its Friday, the end of my week if I was still working and the day of the week that I start and stop the burn in on new IEMs. I removed the ISN Neo 3 and opened the Himalaya box. I installed W1 tips and switched out the nice stock cable for the NiceHck Grey Ghost. I connected to my L & P W4 and let it play. Two minutes later I inserted the Himalayas and........WOW, just WOW!!!!!. Guys, you need a pair of these. Then you can sell your high priced IEMs that the Himalayas blow out of the water.
Please note that these IEMs have only cooked a few minutes.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #86,355 of 90,776
Honestly, after owning & hearing some of the iems that came after UE18+ (I own this), especially the recent ones like Nostalgia Audio Camelot, Fatfreq Maestro SE, Fir Audio KR5 (I own all these), UE18+ pales in comparison to such an extent that it is stowed away in its box and never is heard anymore by me.
I agree. Since BC and EST were applied to IEMS, the development of IEMS this year has been so rapid that I can't imagine. That’s why I wanna try new CIEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back