The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 15, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #78,526 of 89,416
When Sangjit ceremony, u didnt ask some "gears" from your wife ?

1705314840556.png
We still had a wedding to pay for. :D

My Mom told her friends "my son's friends are older and successful people, and talks about audio stuff, when will he ever get a girlfriend..." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Who needs a girlfriend when you’ve got us? 😋

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #78,527 of 89,416
PMG APX.jpg

:smirk:

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #78,528 of 89,416
Classical music is an interesting case here as a lot can depend on what you're after. I used to play in a concert band and I have been to the symphony a lot. The most remarkable feeling about going to the symphony is the visceral sweep and power that a large orchestra in a concert hall can produce via movement of air. It can hit you like a truck and the reality is when you're there live it can feel like a mass of sound and you won't necessarily pick up on all the detail and articulation that is coming from all the different layers of the orchestra. One of the things I've discovered with a good powerful DD IEM like Trifecta is that it can go a long way to delivering that sweeping power that will make you feel like you're there-- and if this sort of experience is what you're after then the Trifecta I would bet is second to none on the current market-- with this and with a lot of its instrumental timbre. On the other hand if what you're after with classical listening is more focused on precision, positioning, articulation, detail, nuance etc. then the Trifecta is certainly not the IEM you want. All of this to say, it just sort of depends.
As a regular attendee of classical concerts and jazz sessions, and as someone who studied piano at a conservatory until the age of 20 especially the live feeling of listening to music, the feeling of being in the middle of the concert hall just like you called it is very
important o me. And just as you explained, it also seems to me that the perception of moving air plays a key role in triggering the impression of visceral power the orchestra. In this respect, I would like to thank you for your comment and I am now of the opinion that the trifecta is exactly up my alley. Thanks.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #78,529 of 89,416
As a regular attendee of classical concerts and jazz sessions, and as someone who studied piano at a conservatory until the age of 20 especially the live feeling of listening to music, the feeling of being in the middle of the concert hall just like you called it is very
important o me. And just as you explained, it also seems to me that the perception of moving air plays a key role in triggering the impression of visceral power the orchestra. In this respect, I would like to thank you for your comment and I am now of the opinion that the trifecta is exactly up my alley. Thanks.

Acknowledging not everyone can demo in person I feel the Trifecta is especially risky to blind buy. It may depend what type of live recording, piano based where midrange accuracy is important or something like pipe organs and you like bass emphasis. System synergy is also relevant. I did not enjoy the Trifecta with the WM1Z original at CanJam London for all genres (that I have owned for years). Maybe warm plus warm was too much. I think the bass is a bit loose intruding on the midrange and the midrange is too coloured for live classical recording. For comparison my reference for classical music midrange is the Sennheiser HD600 what is the purpose of colouring live classical recording with headphone or speakers. This is not a criticism of the Trifecta, this is personal to whether I would buy it for classical (no)

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #78,530 of 89,416
My favorite combos:
Sony WM1Z (K-Mod + Mr.Walkman firmare mod) + Eletech Iliad + Nostalgia Audio Camelot
Sony WM1AM2 + Eletech Iliad + Nostalgia Audio Camelot
Cayin N30LE + Eletech Raphael + Fatfreq MSE
Cayin N30LE + PWA 1960 2wire + 64 Audio A18t
Sony WM1Z (K-Mod + Mr.Walkman firmare mod) + PWA 1960 2wire + 64 Audio A18t
Cayin N6ii + R01 (R2R) + PWA 1960 2wire + 64 Audio A18t

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #78,531 of 89,416
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #78,532 of 89,416
It turns out that there are so many seniors in this hobby 😂
Mostly 40 or 50++ yo
A financially mature age 🫡
40-50 seems so young to me now. What!!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #78,533 of 89,416
Acknowledging not everyone can demo in person I feel the Trifecta is especially risky to blind buy. It may depend what type of live recording, piano based where midrange accuracy is important or something like pipe organs and you like bass emphasis. System synergy is also relevant. I did not enjoy the Trifecta with the WM1Z original at CanJam London for all genres (that I have owned for years). Maybe warm plus warm was too much. I think the bass is a bit loose intruding on the midrange and the midrange is too coloured for live classical recording. For comparison my reference for classical music midrange is the Sennheiser HD600 what is the purpose of colouring live classical recording with headphone or speakers. This is not a criticism of the Trifecta, this is personal to whether I would buy it for classical (no)

As much as I love Trifecta and feel the slower bass is a feature not a bug I would 100% recommend demoing it before buying. Also, I don't listen to an awful lot of classical music and I don't want to give that impression that I feel Trifecta a great rec across the board for it...my only point is that it can bring a fairly unique experience under the right circumstances.

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #78,536 of 89,416
Atriums are awesome! I had a great audition courtesy of @Basstutum of his Atrium with the Homage! The pairing of Atrium and Homage is awesome!

I have the same sentiments with its sound as the Campfire Andromeda OG. I love that my music has that engaging texture to notes!
Yes, Atriums must sound great from Homage! They‘re fairly amenable to most pairings. And now that I’ve heard Trifecta, I must say that @HiFiHawaii808 was spot on with his sentiment that it comes closest to the romanticized sound signature of a headphone with a tube amp. One of the primary reasons I’ve connected so well with Trifecta.

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #78,538 of 89,416
Yes, Atriums must sound great from Homage! They‘re fairly amenable to most pairings. And now that I’ve heard Trifecta, I must say that @HiFiHawaii808 was spot on with his sentiment that it comes closest to the romanticized sound signature of a headphone with a tube amp. One of the primary reasons I’ve connected so well with Trifecta.
So for DD goodness, is it AC or AO? I tried VO once and the bass decay on it make me dizzy. Plugged to Envy performance.

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #78,539 of 89,416
So for DD goodness, is it AC or AO? I tried VO once and the bass decay on it make me dizzy. Plugged to Envy performance.
Chiming in, both have very good bass. Quite present on AO but AC is a straight up bass monster. All can be tweaked to preference with pad rolling. For example, switching to suede pads from lambskin significantly reigns in the bass.

They are among my favorite headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #78,540 of 89,416
I only heard AC for a brief time in the ZMF room at last year‘s CanJam NYC through the Cayin HA-3A (don’t recall the DAC). AC has more sub bass rumble for sure as many reviewers have noted though AO can slam as well. I’m sure there’s some folks on this thread who own AC and AO and can provide a more complete comparison. The AC/AO Summit-Fi thread which you may already know of is a great place to learn all things ZMF as is the thread for amps to pair with ZMF. Provided links below. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/unread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/unread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...-closed-back-headphone-from-zmf.966989/unread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back