The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #78,541 of 91,262
So for DD goodness, is it AC or AO? I tried VO once and the bass decay on it make me dizzy. Plugged to Envy performance.
AC slams, great closed back but I don’t consider it typical ZMF signature. Atrium open has more of their classical goodness - lushness in the mids and overall more polite. Depends what you’re looking for

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #78,542 of 91,262
Saturday survey.

Share a picture of something in your life that you love, non-audio related.

My cat Mango:

9E45521A-ACC4-4956-9B6F-FF632EDC07AD.JPEG
Racing with friends in FL
IMG_0786.jpeg
IMG_0984.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4431.jpeg
    IMG_4431.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #78,543 of 91,262
AC slams, great closed back but I don’t consider it typical ZMF signature. Atrium open has more of their classical goodness - lushness in the mids and overall more polite. Depends what you’re looking for
Agreed, that’s how I heard it even in show conditions and why I purchased AO.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #78,544 of 91,262
Hello wonderful Coolers! :)
I hope you’re doing all great! 😊

I finally got the chance to go back to the shop and compare my custom CP622b to their demo unit.

IMG_4394.jpeg

Maybe you can see while I asked for the original design, my faceplate is slightly different. I actually asked them to have less of the cloudy white. I think it turned out slightly nicer for my taste.

So, about the sound, I could pretty verify the findings I had from memory.
The sound feels warmer and smoother overall on my set compared to the universal.
The bass is significantly increased in perception. It’s got very noticeably better slam as well as rumble. It also reaches a bit deeper. I’m normally more of a DD bass guy or at least planar, but here it’s gotta be the best BA bass I’ve heard so far (I didn’t demo STORM yet though, so I can’t tell if it’s of the same caliber). It’s significantly better than the universal version IMHO and to me it’s some of the nicest bass in the business from any tech. Amazing speed while retaining natural decay, top notch nuances and tactility.
Mids are also meatier with smoother upper mids while keeping the airiness and details. It feels a bit closer to something like Trailli or Aura compared to the universal. Voices feel a tiny bit closer to you but the overall staging feels deeper.
Trebles do also feel a tad smoother while retaining the same extension and detail retrieval.
The sense of separation and positioning cues are also enhanced as well as the palpable sense of the notes throughout the whole FR.

Overall it almost feels like what an Orpheus S would do to an IEM, but here it’s even more obvious! So basically it’s like getting a free super Orpheus S with your custom! :D

I personally prefer what I’m getting out of the custom, compared to the universal. I would highly recommend it if you want this kind of changes! After, obviously I don’t know if all the customs change the sound in the same way…

Here are comparison pictures between my set (on the left) and the set from the shop’s owner :

IMG_4401.jpeg

IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4400.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg

The size difference is just ridiculous!!! 😂
Just look at the nozzles!! His is almost twice as big as mine!!! 😆

I mean, when you see how much ear tips with different lengths and nozzle diameters change the sound, here it’s not even a question of “do we hear things that differently?” but more a question of “how on earth do we even hear things remotely close?!!!”. :D

Oh! And also, I didn’t see anyone mention that about the CP622B, but there’s a hidden secret no one wants you to know about 🤐 but we all know that’s the real reason why people buy it!!
I took some quick pictures to reveal the truth!!

_1140790_DxO.jpeg

_1140794_DxO.jpeg

They glow in the dark after getting some sunbathing!! But we’re not talking about the old fashioned green glow, ohhh no no no!! Here we’re talking about a groundbreaking, shall I say life altering blue glow!! You’ll probably never look at your none glowing iems the same way ever again!! :D Joke aside, it kinda looks cool, even though it’s not exactly useful, nor a very strong glow.
Here the pictures were taken with long exposure so it’s emphasizing the effect a bit.

I hope it’s somewhat useful for those on the fence for CP622B.

I wish you all well! :)

Cheers 🍻

Julien

Attachments

• IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #78,545 of 91,262
Hello wonderful Coolers! :)
I hope you’re doing all great! 😊

I finally got the chance to go back to the shop and compare my custom CP622b to their demo unit.

IMG_4394.jpeg

Maybe you can see while I asked for the original design, my faceplate is slightly different. I actually asked them to have less of the cloudy white. I think it turned out slightly nicer for my taste.

So, about the sound, I could pretty verify the findings I had from memory.
The sound feels warmer and smoother overall on my set compared to the universal.
The bass is significantly increased in perception. It’s got very noticeably better slam as well as rumble. It also reaches a bit deeper. I’m normally more of a DD bass guy or at least planar, but here it’s gotta be the best BA bass I’ve heard so far (I didn’t demo STORM yet though, so I can’t tell if it’s of the same caliber). It’s significantly better than the universal version IMHO and to me it’s some of the nicest bass in the business from any tech. Amazing speed while retaining natural decay, top notch nuances and tactility.
Mids are also meatier with smoother upper mids while keeping the airiness and details. It feels a bit closer to something like Trailli or Aura compared to the universal. Voices feel a tiny bit closer to you but the overall staging feels deeper.
Trebles do also feel a tad smoother while retaining the same extension and detail retrieval.
The sense of separation and positioning cues are also enhanced as well as the palpable sense of the notes throughout the whole FR.

Overall it almost feels like what an Orpheus S would do to an IEM, but here it’s even more obvious! So basically it’s like getting a free super Orpheus S with your custom! :D

I personally prefer what I’m getting out of the custom, compared to the universal. I would highly recommend it if you want this kind of changes! After, obviously I don’t know if all the customs change the sound in the same way…

Here are comparison pictures between my set (on the left) and the set from the shop’s owner :

IMG_4401.jpeg

IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4400.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg

The size difference is just ridiculous!!! 😂
Just look at the nozzles!! His is almost twice as big as mine!!! 😆

I mean, when you see how much ear tips with different lengths and nozzle diameters change the sound, here it’s not even a question of “do we hear things that differently?” but more a question of “how on earth do we even hear things remotely close?!!!”. :D

Oh! And also, I didn’t see anyone mention that about the CP622B, but there’s a hidden secret no one wants you to know about 🤐 but we all know that’s the real reason why people buy it!!

_1140790_DxO.jpeg
_1140794_DxO.jpeg

They glow in the dark after getting some sunbathing!! But we’re not talking about the old fashioned green glow, ohhh no no no!! Here we’re talking about a groundbreaking, shall I say life altering blue glow!! You’ll probably never look at your none glowing iems the same way ever again!! :D Joke aside, it kinda looks cool, even though it’s not exactly useful, nor a very strong glow.
Here the pictures were taken with long exposure so it’s emphasizing the effect a bit.

Cheers 🍻

Julien
Top! Where did you bought the Custom Cp622B?

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #78,547 of 91,262
Since there’s a plethora of reviews/impressions regarding Trifecta, I’ll share what I would call my observations or revelations as I get to know them over time.

Since @Rockwell75 shared the profound statement regarding Slash being a supremely emotive guitar virtuoso, one thing that then came to mind was a recent review of the Atrium by GoldenSound where he compared it to Susvara. Atrium has received the majority of his listening time in the past few months over the technically more adept Susvara because of Atrium’s textured and romanticized delivery of vocals and instruments. He makes a cogent and compelling case for the more emotionally engaging Atrium while acknowledging there’s a place for Susvara’s prowess in technicalities and detail retrieval. That rational can be applicable to Trifecta versus other IEMs with more technical acumen. Found it an interesting and thought provoking video. Of course the confirmation bias as an Atrium owner I’m sure played a small role in my enjoyment of the video.

Racing with friends in FL
There’s always a more expensive hobby out there 🔥😅💰

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #78,548 of 91,262
Still recovering from my ankle surgery. And it's driving me crazy. No, not the recovery itself, but one terribly painful detail.

1000011526.jpg

This thing I've got on my ankle vibrates in a constant rhythm. I'd say roughly 90BPM. And in the top corner you can see a speaker. Playing music, as speakers do. But the songs are never in the same rhythm as the magnet ... This last one was darn close, but still off by about 3BPM. Losing my mind! 😅

Yes yes, I hear you shouting. And you're correct, I do have too much time.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #78,549 of 91,262
Still recovering from my ankle surgery. And it's driving me crazy. No, not the recovery itself, but one terribly painful detail.

1000011526.jpg

This thing I've got on my ankle vibrates in a constant rhythm. I'd say roughly 90BPM. And in the top corner you can see a speaker. Playing music, as speakers do. But the songs are never in the same rhythm as the magnet ... This last one was darn close, but still off by about 3BPM. Losing my mind! 😅

Ha ha! Gem!

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #78,550 of 91,262

1000011526.jpg

Get well soon buddy

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #78,551 of 91,262

1000011526.jpg

rest up! Ask them to hook up your music instead :wink:

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #78,552 of 91,262
Chiming in, both have very good bass. Quite present on AO but AC is a straight up bass monster. All can be tweaked to preference with pad rolling. For example, switching to suede pads from lambskin significantly reigns in the bass.

They are among my favorite headphones.
I only heard AC for a brief time in the ZMF room at last year‘s CanJam NYC through the Cayin HA-3A (don’t recall the DAC). AC has more sub bass rumble for sure as many reviewers have noted though AO can slam as well. I’m sure there’s some folks on this thread who own AC and AO and can provide a more complete comparison. The AC/AO Summit-Fi thread which you may already know of is a great place to learn all things ZMF as is the thread for amps to pair with ZMF. Provided links below. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/unread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/unread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...-closed-back-headphone-from-zmf.966989/unread
Thanks for the answers. Will try them both to decide which one to pick to accompany my upcoming Caldera 😉

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #78,553 of 91,262

_1140790_DxO.jpeg
_1140794_DxO.jpeg

Cheers 🍻

Julien
Oh damn! Nice easter egg, I would never have known lol.

Now I need to shine UV black light to every iem I try :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #78,555 of 91,262
20240115_115926.jpg
Just finished this guy. It illustrates the recent discussion around here about politics. The potential for a volatile outcome is a strong probability. Love listening to music and making art. How about y’all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back