The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #72,541 of 91,264
Stay strong and get well soon brother 🙏
Is that the headhone of the HE90/HEV90? IMO In term of design, I like the amp of HE90 better than the one on the HE-1, but those pop up tube on HE-1 are unique too 🙂
Thank you! Yes, that is the Orpheus. Yes, the the HEV90 has a classic art deco look about it. However, over the years it has thrown up issues I hear. In any event, I did not feel strong to bring the amp home as well for the demo. Not to mention it will attract unwanted attention from the Mrs because it is so pretty. I will be using it via an adapter from @spritzer with the Carbon and KGST.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #72,542 of 91,264
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #72,543 of 91,264
Wishing you the best from the West, and hopes that your life has peace and good health. You have with you the classic of all classics in the Orpheus. Have much enjoyment!

Thank you! 🙏

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #72,544 of 91,264
Good morning folks! Something special arrived at my doorstep from Japan yesterday. This is the Stax SR-1, circa 1960. This is the earspeakers that started it all for the Stax legend.

Chuffed that I managed to find and secure a pair. What is more amazing is that it is plug and play. It works beautifully. I am sure it may have sounded even better in 1960. But today it still sounds as sweet.

As I was joking with an audio friend; finally a headphone that is older than I am 😆

IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_1167.jpeg

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #72,545 of 91,264
Dear Coolers,

What are some of the best desktop amplifiers you have tried with your IEMs? Of course desktop amps can be tricky because even well-designed amps like the Zahl HM1 can be noisy with the wrong IEMs.

In any case, here are my top 3 across a range of IEMs:

1. Mass Kobo 465
2. Holo Bliss
3. Vioelectric V550

benchmark ahb2

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #72,547 of 91,264
Hey y'all, I've been recovering from a vicious head cold but I'm on the mend now, and I've got some good news for ya!

First, due to a whole bunch of super cool and secret CanJam-related work, I'm going to be absolutely swamped after the holidays. Unfortunately, this means I don't have nearly as much bandwidth for organizing an awesome meet as I thought I had. Luckily, I just had a great chat with Seb and it turns out he's more than happy to organize something for us all! :slight_smile:

So without further ado, I hereby turn the meet over to @Sebastien Chiu!

As a reminder, here's a list of everybody that has shown interest in getting together in SoCal this coming January:

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #72,548 of 91,264
Hey y'all, I've been recovering from a vicious head cold but I'm on the mend now, and I've got some good news for ya!

First, due to a whole bunch of super cool and secret CanJam-related work, I'm going to be absolutely swamped after the holidays. Unfortunately, this means I don't have nearly as much bandwidth for organizing an awesome meet as I thought I had. Luckily, I just had a great chat with Seb and it turns out he's more than happy to organize something for us all! :slight_smile:

So without further ado, I hereby turn the meet over to @Sebastien Chiu!

As a reminder, here's a list of everybody that has shown interest in getting together in SoCal this coming January:
What is head cold? For now, please focus on your recovery bro. Take care and GWS too for you. I feel so frail too now, even though I'm just 37. Knee pain and high cholestrol is a part of me that I have to accept 😂

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #72,549 of 91,264
Thanks! lol, it's basically a cold without any respiratory symptoms, so no coughing. And in my case only a little sneezing. It was mainly sinus pressure and all that entails.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #72,550 of 91,264
Can I see the adapter cable with which you are connecting your IEMs to the speaker amp and also ask who made it? 😊

Just sharing my speakon-to-headphone & speaker box that was wonderfully built by @Benno1988
This allows me to switch between headphone (in A position) and speaker (in B position) easily.
AHB2.jpeg

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #72,551 of 91,264
Received Bonneville today,
Seriously impressed
Bravo Ken Ball👏

You should hear the Cascara. It's been blowing my mind this past few days. In terms of bang-for-buck possibly the best $500 I've ever spent in this hobby. Between these and the Bonneville and @emdeevee's endorsement of the Black Star I'm sitting here right tempted to pick one of those up just to experience a new flavor of this incredible new bass driver CFA has cooked up.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #72,552 of 91,264
You should hear the Cascara. It's been blowing my mind this past few days. In terms of bang-for-buck possibly the best $500 I've ever spent in this hobby. Between these and the Bonneville and @emdeevee's endorsement of the Black Star I'm sitting here right tempted to pick one of those up just to experience a new flavor of this incredible new bass driver CFA has cooked up.
Yeah! Do it! Wanna hear your impressions. It looks like a Solaris! I wanna hear the cascara!! That dual magnetic bass is divine in Bonneville

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #72,553 of 91,264
Cassettes are an abomination as is 8-track. They are cute and hipster and retro and have a certain analog warmth but you only get like 5 plays through before they start degrading. I still have throwback nightmares of the wishy smeary treble they reproduce. (Get an r-2r dap instead, for real)

Remember playing doctor cassette with glues and scotch tape to get the pad to sit correctly? Or having to re-spin the wind with a screwdriver and pencil after it got eaten by a malfunctioning player? Yeah, no thanks.
While I would not use the term abomination, you do need to have a top of the line cassette deck to do the recording and listening. Back in the day I had Nakamichi’s RX505 ( and still have it ) and then also employed their decks in my car. The tapes used had to be the best and then taken care of ( no leaving them in the car in the summer for example ). Over time they will degrade. With all of the advances in digital, there is no need for cassette decks other than their nostalgic value. Unfortunately they were never made or able to compete with reel to reel which would have been a value. But the best were excellent and could sound exactly like the LP or CD when properly recorded. Especially if made from the master tape.

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #72,555 of 91,264

Users who are viewing this thread

Back