The Stax thread
Jan 13, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #1,651 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can always discharge the phones by touching the pins on the plug

This doesn't seem to work for me - if I disconnect the energizers from the mains, touch the pins on the earspeaker lead, then plug them back in and try to play music, they still work - seems I have to leave everything turned off for some time...

Either way, the SRD-7 Pro still seems a lot louder than the SRD-7, even with no attempt to discharge the earspeakers.

I still haven't had a chance to really compare back and forth... the Pro has a lot more bass... I might PREFER the normal-bias unit...

As for the "broken" SR-X/MK3s, I left them unplugged overnight, and tried them again this morning - still lots of rattle. I decided I'd try giving them some serious electro-shock therapy - I popped Feist's "When I Was A Young Girl" on, which has loud, very low bass notes. Major rattling. I took the cans off my head, and cranked the volume to stupid, stupid, cannot believe I didn't break something levels. Now the ratting seems gone...will have to let them charge up for a while to see what's what.

Both the SR-X/MK3s and SR-404s go ridiculously loud with zero distortion.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #1,653 of 2,694
Not only the earspeakers, but these step-up transformers can take a serious pummeling from the power amp!

Will bust out my camera later (i.e. there will be detailed pics of both in this thread early next week), but the internals of the two SRD-7s look quite different. The Pro looks higher quality overall.

The step-up transformers look the same size, different colour (age...?) hard to say whether they are the same, can't find markings... on the bottom maybe?

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #1,655 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is still probably some charge left in the multipliers capacitors. Let the adapter sit for awhile and it should discharge much the same as the phones.

I had that suspicion...thanks for confirming.

Hm... I could stick a paperclip in the UNPLUGGED, SWITCHED OFF socket on the energiser... :grin:

OTOH the voltage sitting in the capacitors would be appropriate for that energiser, therefore I will get accurate results switching back and forth as long as I discharge the earspeakers in between.

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #1,656 of 2,694
So, I have spent a bit more time comparing the pro-bias energiser with the normal one... and after all that hoopla about getting one, I like the normal-bias one better. Will have to try more different types of music, but the couple of albums I've spun are all nicer on the low-bias unit. The normal-bias unit is a lot more... lean sounding, light on its feet.

With the pro-bias energiser, I felt that the SR-404s had a couple of things that they did well, but overall were kinda... bleh sounding. Fat and effortless. No energy... With the normal-bias energiser, they sound special and magical like the SR-X/MK3s.

The bottom end with the normal-bias energiser is great... this is the best setup I have ever heard for reproducing the bite in the sound of a bass guitar. Total eargsam! With the pro-bias energiser, there is so much boominess it obscures every detail.

Maybe it's that I like the sound of my electronics a lot, and they are all working harder to produce the same volume level with the normal-bias energiser. The needle on the X250.5 bounces around the bottom of its range quite a bit, but with the pro-bias energiser it doesn't move. I set the volume control on the preamp WAY lower with the pro-bias energiser. Maybe the Pass amp has better control over what it's hooked up to when it's working hard. The bass with the Magneplanars always comes alive and gets magical when that needle is bouncing around.

I still ain't gonna sell the thing until I get a pair of SR-007s over here to try out...

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #1,657 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
As many of you know I received my SR-X/MK2 and SRD-7 earlier this week. Just for fun I connected the SRD-7 to my power amplifier, to hear how it stand up against my SRM-007t.

[closes eyes and presses fingers to temples, in the style of a psychic] Don't tell me; let me predict-- [goes into electrostatic trance] ...fantastic, explosive dynamics... I also see the SR-X reaching extremely high sound-pressure levels... whilst... remaining utterly clean and unruffled. An headphone experience like no other! -- How'd I do?

Quote:

They now reproduce lower frequencies that I have not heard in combination with the SRM-007. It also have more control in the midrange. Reproducing female voice so beautifully.

I can't tell you how satisfying it is to have your experience (and others') precisely parallel mine of 30 years before.

Quote:

The Lambda Pro and Omega II sound beautiful out of the Doxa/SRD-7 combination. But it felt like these phones lost some of their magic. I guess that is because they were running on less than half the bias voltage.

Further validation. This is in fact what Stax said would happen.

Quote:

Either a SRD-7/MKII and Power amplifier, or a higher quality electrostatic amplifier.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an affordable direct drive amp that will deliver the smacktastic dynamics of a good muscular amp plus SRD-7 variant.

Why Stax took this little underdog out of production is beyond me.

What's even more amazing is how many of you have taken the stern little SR-X to your hearts. After all, they don't sugar you; they always tell the truth, even (and especially) if it hurts. They don't flatter or idealize. Who could love such a coldhearted thing? Yet you do.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #1,658 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lambda Pro and Omega II sound beautiful out of the Doxa amp. But while the SR-X improved a lot, it felt like these phones lost some of their magic. I guess that is because they were running on less than half the bias voltage.

Further validation. This is in fact what Stax said would happen.

This is the opposite of my experience so far with the SR-404s, where I have both the plain jane SRD-7 and pro-bias SRD-7, and prefer the sound with the low-bias energiser! Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's even more amazing is how many of you have taken the stern little SR-X to your hearts. After all, they don't sugar you; they always tell the truth, even (and especially) if it hurts. They don't flatter or idealize. Who could love such a coldhearted thing? Yet they do.

This impresses me as well. I mean...they're just flat-out awesome, they really only have a few deficiencies. I think their biggest downfall and the only reason they're not even more popular is that nobody's ever hooked them up to gear which is up to par with them! Oh, and there's that whole "Gee, all my source material sounds like crap" thing. Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the "broken" SR-X/MK3s, I left them unplugged overnight, and tried them again this morning - still lots of rattle. I decided I'd try giving them some serious electro-shock therapy - I popped Feist's "When I Was A Young Girl" on, which has loud, very low bass notes. Major rattling. I took the cans off my head, and cranked the volume to stupid, stupid, cannot believe I didn't break something levels. Now the ratting seems gone...will have to let them charge up for a while to see what's what.

The SR-X/MK3s have been sitting with the bias power on the last few hours... I put 'em on, major rattle from the left channel... go put on a track with major bass, take 'em off my head, give 'em the shock treatment, and they're listenable again. What...

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #1,659 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-X/MK3s have been sitting with the bias power on the last few hours... I put 'em on, major rattle from the left channel... go put on a track with major bass, take 'em off my head, give 'em the shock treatment, and they're listenable again. What...

I'm wondering if perhaps your simply listening too them before they have a nice full charge on them ? Are you leaving them plugged in the transformer(s) while not in use ?

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #1,660 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if perhaps your simply listening too them before they have a nice full charge on them ? Are you leaving them plugged in the transformer(s) while not in use ?

Yeah, I generally leave them plugged in and powered up when not listening.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #1,662 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope your sr-x works out, they really are spectacualar. I'm still amazed how great they sound in union with some pretty lowly gear.

Me too... I definitely want to have a pair around for the long haul. Might have to see if I can find a new set of drivers... heck, maybe find some SR-Gamma drivers and convert them into SR-X/MK3 Pros...

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #1,663 of 2,694
Selling the SR-404s was the worst decision in my entire Head-Fi life
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

So, I'm desperate to get some electrostat action back in my life. Finding SR-404s for sale on these forums or on places like eBay and Audiogon seems to be rare (At least finding them alone and not in the 4040 system), but Lambda Pros seem to be more abundant.

What do you guys think of Lambda Pro vs. SR-404? To those that prefer the Lambdas, for which specific reasons do you prefer them over the SR-404s?

I'm so desperate
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #1,664 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Selling the SR-404s was the worst decision in my entire Head-Fi life
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

So, I'm desperate to get some electrostat action back in my life. Finding SR-404s for sale on these forums or on places like eBay and Audiogon seems to be rare (At least finding them alone and not in the 4040 system), but Lambda Pros seem to be more abundant.

What do you guys think of Lambda Pro vs. SR-404? To those that prefer the Lambdas, for which specific reasons do you prefer them over the SR-404s?

I'm so desperate
frown.gif

You can have mine for $300 if you want. It's not like I use them much anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back